HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

Hmm.  Won't the lack of a solid roof have an adverse effect on the structural rigi... oh, wait.

Nice purchase - looks a charming little thing.  My one attempt at driving a 7 was not a great success due to the "sudden" clutch and crash 'box, but I'm sure one would get used to it quickly enough.

I tried to buy one of those a few years ago but the woman selling had an inflated idea of its value, just couldn't get close on the numbers, which made me sad. I was still very tempted eben though she wanted several thousand more than it was worth. Lovely little cars and i really want one, though I have never driven one!

My mate had a Ruby, took it for an MOT.

It failed to achieve almost everything.

Fortunately the tester used to have one and knew they were crap, so it passed.

I was interested in an earlier one and the dealer agreed that the later ones are a touch more user friendly; he said the early 7's are a bit like riding a horse and cart.

HMC fleet update- merc w124 and Audi A4 rehomed, to Hairysteve and Bramz7 respectively. Last week I collected the vw beetle. It was 20 miles away so I simply drove the mx5 over, collected the vw and left the mx5 dumped down a country lane by the vendors. Yesterday I cycled over to pick it up. A single speed ex Amsterdam station rental bike might seem an odd choice but it was a great trip over Devon country lanes to my destination-post-4673-0-71830000-1531164700_thumb.jpg

I had an update from the dealer with the Austin 7- it's been disinterred from storage, given a once over and completed a (slowwww) 5 mile test run. It's due to be delivered on Friday.

LOLage at the bike choice.  What other oddities do you have in the bike collection?

post-4673-0-90992500-1531226875_thumb.jpg

All Dutch, second hand, heavy but indestructible. So basically about 30 of pretty much the same style of bike!

Further fleet news-

post-4673-0-41632600-1531226983_thumb.png

Almost bought this 2004 E320cdi estate recently. Short MOT but very cheap for what it was. It was down at 240k miles, but looking over the MOT history suggested it had had a 100k haircut 8 or so years ago- 340k on a potentially flakey and costly 7 speed autobox put me off and I didn't go ahead, even if it was cheap.

All Dutch, second hand, heavy but indestructible.

Given that most of these bikes would see a hill and say "WTF is that??", the weight was never really taken into consideration with their design.

Do any of them still have dutch-style back-pedal brakes? They do take a bit of getting used to. Plus they don't work really.

Agreed all are heavy, some are right porkers. Some rely only on a single " back pedal" brake such as the aforementioned GIANT single speed Dutch ex rental bike. The single brake on that was well up to the task on some steep Devonian lanes. I find it a bit counter intuitive to be hurtling down a hill with nothing for your hands/fingers to be busy with, though.

Given that most of these bikes would see a hill and say "WTF is that??", the weight was never really taken into consideration with their design.

Do any of them still have dutch-style back-pedal brakes? They do take a bit of getting used to. Plus they don't work really.

Back pedal brakes are gr8 when you're pulling skids as an 8 year old.