Veteran car run ( London to Brighton)

richardmorris

Does anyone fancy meeting up to view the London to Brighton on the 5th November?

http://www.veterancarrun.com

The pub at staplefield has a good burger stall outside from 9am.

http://www.thevictorystaplefield.co.uk

I will be crew for two cars, look out for the H Reg discovery showing the Chelsea tractors what a land rover used to be like.....

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I will be leaving Milton Keynes at 4am to be at Hyde park for 6am towing a De Dion...... I think that's what it is! It maybe a Peugeot..... They all breakdown and need pushing up the hills regardless of name.

I have a few spare seats in the disco if anyone wants a lift, but I will need to be on hand for the compulsory breakdowns so cannot offer a lift back.

I go nearly every year. I find it amazing seeing these ancient machines doing what must have been quite a challenge even when they were new, and 100 years later they are still doing it!   I used to do the London to Brighton 2CV run for many years and that was an adventure in a car that was then only about 20 - 25 years old!  

The most arrogant and unshite motoring event in human history, I'm afraid.

The only cars eligible are ones with a dating certificate from the VCC, no matter what paper trail they have outside this.

Fair enough, you would say, but a friend of mine wanted to get his 1902 De Dion approved to participate.

So like many others, he sent in the request, together with all the required paperwork, plus the £500.00 (!) fee two years ago.

To this day, he hasn't heard back from them.

Don't only avoid this nepotist and elitarian event, boycott it!

Self aggrandisment reply,

A friend of my fathers had an old car in his garage in Rotorua back in the 50's and I got a few rides in it.

It was a 1904 ? Darracq with a name plate on the front somewhere that said Geneveive. He took it to Aussie when he retired though. 

The only cars eligible are ones with a dating certificate from the VCC, no matter what paper trail they have outside this.

Fair enough, you would say, but a friend of mine wanted to get his 1902 De Dion approved to participate.

So like many others, he sent in the request, together with all the required paperwork, plus the £500.00 (!) fee two years ago.

Tis true but for most of us proletariat it's the one chance of standing in the countryside by the side of a wet winter's road in the mist eating bacon butties and watching very old stuff go by*/expire* whilst the youngsters do their combined activity of uploading crappy videos to unsocial media and winging. 

The 1904 Darracq used in the film Genevieve, ironically a film about the first L2B in 1904, proudly remains in England and will participate again this year.

Genevieve2000.jpg

It got its certificate way back in the 1950s, when the VCC was still an organisation catering for Veteran cars.

Genevieve was not about the first l2b at all. It was set in the 1950s when it was filmed. If you're going to moan get the facts right :-)

Genevieve was at KopHill this year

owned and displayed at the Louwman Museum in the Netherlands along with the Spyker, The lady driving is Quirina Louwman

https://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/Ontdekken/Ontdek-de-collectie/darracq-12-hp-genevieve

https://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/Ontdekken/Ontdek-de-collectie/spyker-12-16-hp-double-phaeton

beautiful stuff

as I recall from 17 Sept

"I had two life moments today, nobody knows when a life moment is going to happen. Nobody can steal a life moment.

sometimes decades can occur between life moments, sometimes they are like buses

Just after 8 this morning and driving my Stag along the deserted A4010 into Princes Risborough, it was cool and misty with very heavy cloud cover, up ahead was a veteran car all on it's own. Although she was making good speed I safely overtook and glanced across at that immortal name Genevieve. I will never forget that moment.

John Gregson would have smiled, Dinah (Quirina Louwman) was driving, so isolated, so lonely. Actually John would have been furious, bloody miles away from Westminster Bridge!"

Maybe I see a different side as I ignore car club politics.

But on the 5th of November I will be standing in Hyde Park, surrounded by the sounds and smells of the early days of motoring. As the sun rises I will no doubt be engulfed by the first steam car leaving before stopping somewhere in Croydon for a bacon roll..... Whilst the cars go past.

Before sleeping in a 27 year old Discovery on Brighton sea front, waking up around 1pm,grabbing a bag of chips by the roundabout and watching all the cars arrive.

Reload old car into trailer and watch the fireworks and avoid the M25 during peak time.

To me this sounds like a damn good Sunday!

That's the plan, normally I spend my day cursing and swearing at how unreliable a simple engine is whilst fixing it on the road side with London cyclists complaining about me parking in the cycle lane.

My Stepmother used to do this regularly. Her father had a 1900 Gardner Serpollet steam car for many years that was a regular entrant. She recently showed me some pictures that were taken in the seventies, with Les Dawson in the background all in period gear. Google says it would be 1975.

The Gardner Serpollet was sold a couple of years ago as her father felt he was getting too old and started thinning his collection of old stuff. He died last month.

I found a picture of the GS on last years London to Brighton under new ownership, which my Stepmother was pleased to see...

post-47-0-86141600-1507377504_thumb.jpg

Perhaps he could phone them to chase it up? Don't come if you don't want to though. God, it's not compulsory to enjoy other car events.

Speaking to other local club peeps this morning, there will be a 2cv presence at staplefield on the corner of the village green, from 9ish on the fifth November - whatever the weather. We have a gazebo so can charge for admittance if the weather is poor :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Great stuff, but I can’t help thinking the spectators of this annual bash are becoming a bit bored of old duffers in tweeds trying too relive Genevieve in their steam powered cars, I think we need too crash this event next year with our sort of cars, the Squire in his delightfully falling apart Morris estate (state) leading the way! Far more entertaining..