Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

That's a marvellous car, congratulations. There's a chap on PH with one of these tsparks, I think he may be worth chatting to for spare hunting etc.

Original wheels is obviously the way to go, but probably long after the preservation stuff. I've never seen one in that colour, what shade is it?

Not sure what blue this is but it certainly appeals, and I prefer the body coloured lower mouldings.

It's quite neat how hard wearing everything feels.

One thing I have picked up is the at times slightly wayward handling all the S1s had.

Just took it to Reading and back, and I'm a bit alarmed by some aspects of driving it.

The aforementioned wheel wobble is becoming very irritating.

The back axle bumps a bit.

The car makes a sound like compressed air being let out under the bonnet when I start it. What is this?!!

Just took it to Reading and back, and I'm a bit alarmed by some aspects of driving it.

The aforementioned wheel wobble is becoming very irritating.

The back axle bumps a bit.

The car makes a sound like compressed air being let out under the bonnet when I start it. What is this?!!

Because Italian. I'll take a wild guess at some part of the inlet manifold has knackered rubbery bits, that era of Alfa has a reputation for knackered rubbery induction things(random erratic running issues may or may not be caused) and the knackered rubbery induction things being NLA. 

I'd love a 166, I actually enquired about a cheap V6 on FB but think I was beaten to it. Apparently way better than their reputation and biblical depreciation suggested.

If you're going to get a V6 get a 3-litre manual.  Sportronic is disappointing (and undergeared) and the 2.5 is not much faster than the Twin Spark but drinks a lot more.  Does sound nicer though.

Intriguing developments:

1) I have seemingly struck up a possible swap for the Alfa already. Not what was planned of course, but seeing as someone was selling one of my all time dream cars, it's become a strong possibility. Its a Citroen CX for those wondering.

I think the best thing to do is sleep on it for one more night, as that will confirm whether I want to, or don't want to. Typically the drive back from work was quite fun in the early hours, the 164 is a superb car made better driving at higher speeds. Town driving is not it's forte.

2) I think I am going to cram the R21 into storage when/if/hopefully the welding is done. Anyone around Basingstoke way got any ideas of farms/group storage anywhere?

3) I am actually looking forward to getting this HMC A4. It will be good to have a daily I don't really have to care about, again. Like the b0ll0x Stilo once was.

To be honest, justifying the CX is difficult as I already have one luxury* and slightly less complicated French estate inbound, which I genuinely want to keep nice. Plus you have already warned me of the ££££ CX ownership can entail. 

Maybe I should wait until 164s of all spec go mental, and then cash in...

Well I've canned the CX swap. Just not worth it.

So the Alfa continues to drive pretty well but it's now making a slight creaky noise from the near. All looks okay underneath, so I'm not sure what it is. There is a very distinctive rattle from the rear when it's idling so I suspect something is working itself loose.

Probably should book it in at AlfaAid for an assessment.

post-20043-0-43076300-1531000936_thumb.jpg

Picked this up today. I had no idea how far away HMC lived, that's the problem with living down south, there's quite a lot of it.

It drove back fine. The seats are pretty abysmal for comfort but I was surprised by how peppy the car is. I've not had petrols often, maybe this is normal...

Sadly a slight mix up before I drove off meant I left the Alfa keys and my house keys with HMC. Whoops.

20180707_195220.jpg

Picked this up today. I had no idea how far away HMC lived, that's the problem with living down south, there's quite a lot of it.

It drove back fine. The seats are pretty abysmal for comfort but I was surprised by how peppy the car is. I've not had petrols often, maybe this is normal...

Sadly a slight mix up before I drove off meant I left the Alfa keys and my house keys with HMC. Whoops.

Away man, he lives much closer to you than I;)

The Audi looks good, hope you enjoy it!

Weird. I actually don't mind driving the Audi, it's oddly pokey for what it is. Reading up on the engine spec and the 20v 1.8 is a bit decent according to the web. I've not had many front wheel drive cars lift at the front when you give it gas from the lights.

The handling is also decent enough, and the steering is very direct. It's just the rock hard seats letting it down. There's a definite marked quality improvement on most of the interior pieces inside, although the steering wheel has degraded slightly.

Plan is to get a fresh ticket and potentially tyres and shift it on. All depends on how this week goes.