Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

That's fair enough, it's a long old way to pay ££££ for a rusty Tempra to transport.

I might have another fleet member for sale as the Xantia repair bill, the sorting out of the AX and incoming car (which is something I have desperately wanted since forever) may mean a cut down to three for now. I'll post it on here first but just need to decide first. 

Okay seeing as the Tempra is about to run out of MOT and I have had zero interest, £75 will take it.

Anyone?!!

Please don't drive it though. please.

Are you out of space at your new gaff? If you wanted temporary storage might be able to help you. If it is temporary you can stick it ony drive if you want....

Are you out of space at your new gaff? If you wanted temporary storage might be able to help you. If it is temporary you can stick it ony drive if you want....

No its not space, it's just the realisation that it's beyond me sorting it and will only get worse the longer it is sat. 

Had a bit of a epiphany with my fleet earlier, I've got a decent (but needing some slight front brake overhaul) AX sat unused, which I could just make my daily really.  

• 4 weeks later...

EFAccurate rendition of Buck Rogers by Feeder.

Dammit I've had that blasted song in my head since you posted this now.

It's an old Fiat so electrical gremlins are present. Front windows not working and rears are slow. Sunroof has skipped a tooth, yours truly responsible on the test drive. One front fog does not work.

Otherwise it's a decent steer. The gears are long compared to the beloved XUD9TE. Bumpy over rough roads but more assured feeling handling.

Just out of interest, what did happen to your tempra?

Sold on eBay to someone who apparently wants to fix it up. I'm doubtful. I had it advertised for pennies everywhere but no takers. The collection was a nightmare though.

I feel bad as I'm tempted to shift my Tipo too, it's a nice car but I don't think I'm gelling with it.

I've a couple of early Bravo HGTs, one in the Uk. Similar colour, too.

Quite fun to drive, if a little unassuming. Never going to stand out in a crowd but likeable enough. Comfy, on a trip.

I've a Marea Weekend 125 diseasal too, for the terminally impecunious. Currently sitting doing nowt,, cos the clutch is too heavy for my damaged left leg. Prob go back on the road nearer winter.

I've a couple of early Bravo HGTs, one in the Uk. Similar colour, too.

Quite fun to drive, if a little unassuming. Never going to stand out in a crowd but likeable enough. Comfy, on a trip.

I've a Marea Weekend 125 diseasal too, for the terminally impecunious. Currently sitting doing nowt,, cos the clutch is too heavy for my damaged left leg. Prob go back on the road nearer winter.

I know you keep your cars but if you ever want rid of the Marea, let me know!

Hopefully not a sign the turbo is on its way out but this has a really satisfying turbo whistle to it. Like a turbo diesel should.

Well a week in with this Brava and I am really liking it. It's not super rapid all at the same time like a XUD9T but it's more gradual and a bit stronger in my opinion. The gearbox is far, far better.

I also have these relics on the car:

41450703644_fab59b9f67_b.jpg20180517_160725 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

41271124725_31b69d13c6_b.jpg20180517_160731 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Original Factory quality card. Not sure how this has survived 21 years but there we go.

42171746301_6b82863892_b.jpg20180517_160801 by Sam Osbon, on Flickrr

I emailed Fiat a few days back wondering if they had had any of these left and wondering if a bit of sweet talking nostalgia would conjure up something from them. I then got several calls from Milan (!) and as I was working, couldn't answer them. This had me wondering what wonders I was about to get.

I then got an email saying 'Sorry no longer stocked BYE'

Disappointing but there we go. 

I know my car plans always go awry but my feeling is to keep this in daily use until renewal time, then use it's replacement (which is itself being stored until then, you'll know why when you see it), and then keep it nice. I think these and Xsaras (an early one with three doors and in that superb goldy yellow shade please) are going to end up being forgotten about, the cars they replaced seem more abundant now. Well, Fiats never survive well unless tiny and cute....

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, this needs updating.

So yes, at current, my only car is the one I just collected.

Basically the long and short of it is, all the trips I have been to Italy have made me want something a bit upmarket and old, and seeing as the majority of affordable Themas are now desperately hopeless, 164s came to mind. 164s seem to be one of those cars that everyone likes, motoring press of the era raved about it and it's seen as perhaps the last proper Alfa. 

I had seen a few come and go on eBay, the warmer times of the year seem to drag tons of them out of storage. I had initially fancied a 33 but the 1.5 basic one in the Wirral seemed to have gear syncro issues, as well as untold rusty bits according to MOT storage. I also considered an Espace MK1 but passed on those too.

I then noticed an early 164 wearing Zender alloys on various sites, I believe it had been for sale for ages so thought I would send a reasonably low offer of £1250 to the seller, and they accepted. I did make a resolution to never commit to a car unseen but I could with some excitement in my life so there we go.

As ever, the advert descriptions never match the real thing, there is various things with the car that need sorting, or will need sorting shortly. 

They are as follows:

-Rattly timing chain

-Rear arches are letting go at the very bottom

-Passenger side front tyre is pretty perished, which no doubt explains the slight wheel wobble

-Stereo not working but the electric aerial does

-ABS light on

-patchy super recent service history, although I have a fairly comprehensive lot from up to 2013.

-Makes a weird noise when started, like something is releasing...is this normal?

-Windscreen is delaminating and cracked in a corner, although I somehow chipped it on the way back, AGH

-The wipers are utter cack.

Otherwise it all seems okay. All the windows work, the sunroof (which oddly is just an electric tilt one) works, the handling is pretty exciting in a weird road going race car sort of way, the engine note is appealing, it doesn't seem to use much oil, temperature is level, it didn't FTP in nearly 350 miles on the weekend, the gear change is sweet as a nut, and the interior is pretty damn good for 122k. The seats are utterly superb, like being hugged by a giant velour sofa. Fuel economy is suprisingly good, so I can assume it runs pretty well. 

The throttle is incredibly sensitive too.

Anyway, with all the comings and goings lately, I have no daily. I went to Leicester on the way back and viewed an absolutely spiffing R21 Savannah, with 7 seats too before anyone asks. The only downside was that it's rotted pretty well behind the front suspension, and in a box section behind the front arches. As it's so cheap for an R21 (prices have gone nuts, out of nowhere) I am getting the welding done straight away, I have already booked it in locally at Revolution Vehicles, as the guy did such a nice job on the Rover. He grimaced a bit at the rot photos, but said he is happy to assess it and then quote me for it. I am a complete novice with rust repair quotes, but suspect it's going to be around £1k. I know that's a lot for a car not many people rate, but it's so tidy otherwise that I have mentally prepared myself for it. 

As this then renders me without a daily, I snapped up the A4 HMC had for sale briefly yesterday. I have never owned a German before, so am intrigued about what to expect. 

Anyway, enough waffle, here is some 164 photos. I don't know if I want to keep the Zender alloys as I think they suit the steel wheels with the elegant trims. Someone told me the Zenders are worth money, is this true?

post-20043-0-31535300-1530612556_thumb.jpeg

post-20043-0-01740000-1530612583_thumb.jpeg

post-20043-0-13665700-1530612607_thumb.jpeg

post-20043-0-65099400-1530612633_thumb.jpeg

post-20043-0-89902300-1530612653_thumb.jpeg

As ever i can't commit to keeping but would like to at least use it for most of summer and then see how I feel. As it cost me a bit more, it'd be nice if this allows me to invest in slightly more tasty stuff in the future, but 164 twin spark values are oddly low, for the time being at least.