Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

I have owned 16 cars in the past 12 months. I think part of this is down to me passing my driving test so late, I was ready to pass back in 2011, then full time employment took over, I had more money to spend on other trivial things and that was that. Anyway, this has been done by people on here before but I felt I'd add myself to the mix as I have always wanted to do this.

Sadly this would have been a better idea had I started a year ago, but eh, shit happens. I'll try to use this thread to show my new arrivals (they are meant to be stopping but let's see how that goes), and retire the old one which became a bit of a gallery of what I bought week on week.

Fiat Tipo DGT.

37469644236_dee77b037c_b.jpg

This one came to me through sheer luck. I had various gumtree searches saved at the time, but FIAT TIPO was not one of them. I was bored one night and thought 'eh wonder if....' and lo and behold, this popped up. It ticked all the boxes, early car, low mileage and even had the (in)famous dashboard. I messaged the seller in an almost frenzy and once he said it was still available, arranged a deposit and went from there. It cost me £295. I know it isn't spotless but for a one owner, sub 43k car, I was not complaining.

So, the car itself.

Unsurprisingly, for a Fiat, it was Bristol registered. It also lived in Bristol until I bought it.

36848595113_4a0b37a223_b.jpg

The interior is actually quite nice, and shows how ahead Fiat was at the time this was launched. I've had a few of its rivals, the 19 and ZX for example, but this actually feels better made. Yes the fabrics have discoloured but the plastic feels durable, the seats are a good balance of comfort and firmness, which is often lacking in some French cars. The driving position is odd, I found the seating position high and the pedals more or less in the right place, not offset. Who knows what another 30-40k would do to the inside, but I doubt I'll find out.

The stalks are almost intimidating given all the things they do. The heated rear screen button is on the end of one! They are both considerably sized too, you'd probably have to revise for a few days to fully comprehend every function. It does make the dashboard uncluttered though, which was no doubt done more for cost effectiveness than user appreciation.

37469642636_008f9a280a_b.jpg

One of the Tipo's strongpoints is leg room, and until you sit in one, it's hard to comprehend how much of it there is. I am no giant, but I can stretch my legs fully and there's still room. And there's a foot rest!
The digital dashboard, much maligned at launch, isn't much better to deal with 26 years later. In direct sunlight it is hopeless. May as well guess the speed I am doing. However, in a retro cool sort of way, it's amazing. There is a button which converts the readings to KMH too, so if I ever felt like taking it abroad (I don't and won't) it'd be a lot easier to understand. The electric diagnostic diagram is an odd space filler. It does actually work, and is handy for knowing if a door is open, but one wonders if perhaps simple lights on the dashboard would have sufficed. Same could be said for the ECONOMY/POWER display just above. Unsurprisingly, it switches from economy to power when you're pushing the engine hard, but from reading the handbook, that doesn't happen until 6000rpm. Good of Fiat to tell you that sort of engine speed isn't good for fuel usage....

37259361690_fd19e076d7_b.jpg

The engine is decent. A lot of people feel the 1.6 engines of this era (PSA TUs for example) are rubbish and a poor sibling to the 1.4s, but this one is not half bad. First gear, typically, is a touch too short, and the revs at 70 are a bit high (approx 3200), but this engine doesn't seem to mind being, for lack of a better word, ragged. Second, third and fourth are all good gears with almost instant torque delivery, fifth isn't too bad but again perhaps it being taller would equal slightly more comfortable motorway driving.
The engine note is enjoyable, a gruff low end rumble, which makes lifting off sound like you're in a racing car almost. There's a nice transmission whine in lower gears.
Supposedly these early 1.6 units are the most powerful, and require basically zero choke to start. It does have a tendency to idle very high until the engine is at optimum temperature, which can very irritating in stop start traffic.

37259362650_fa21efb007_b.jpg

Ride quality is decent. It's definitely slightly better around town that at speed, which mirrors comments made by contemporary road tests. There might be some road noise but the engine drowns most of it out anyway. The wheels are quite small and narrow for the size of the car, and I have found that it does suffer from a bit of understeer in the wet and dry, although I'll put the almost spin out in the wet down to the ancient tyres (now replaced).
Steering is incredibly light but super direct, which is aided by the driving position and the steering wheel itself. It feels tiny to begin with, but the more you drive it, the more the size makes sense.
The gearstick is a tad crude, being a one piece rubber item, of course a polished metal affair with a wooden top would be more in suiting to its heritage, but probably would have stood out and looked rubbish amongst the sea of black plastic.
Fuel economy is nothing special, I mean don't get me wrong its not awful but you won't be breaking any records with it. I have guessed it does around 35mpg on a typical run. I also have doubts about the gauge accuracy (shock horror) as £20 put it from nigh on empty to half full the other day.

The rust resistance much talked about at the time, due to OMG ITALIAN METAL is very good. There is a few spots of oxidisation on the rear doors, which are supposedly, along with the boot floor, the issue areas. The main finish problems are the paint work and some interior grab handles going brittle.

So all in all, the Tipo is a good car, with a clever design, and shows what space can be available if the right minds are put to it. There is some flaws though, I feel the handling just isn't quite as good as it should be, and the engine speed on the motorway is about 250rpm too high, but otherwise its comfort and clever ergonomics are quite a bit ahead of its rivals of the era.

I'd frigging love an old diesel Fiat. They seem to survive even more dismally than the petrols though.

Thanks for the replies all! I'll try and figure out what to do next now, sadly I can't do all 16 cars as some didn't even last long enough for me to take many photos, or remember them.

I forgot to note one thing I really like about the Tipo. THE LIGHTS TURN OFF WITH THE IGNITION!!

Sadly no headlight wiper videos yet. It's just gone into winter storage some 80 miles away! Rubbing shoulders with DB5s and 911s, genuinely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So time to add some new thoughts to this.

Unsurprisingly i bought a new car a week or so ago. This was a decision driven by the desire to get a proper working and economical daily drive, but with a bit more go than a N/A XUD. Unfortunately the majority of cars with the XUD9TE are usually ropey beyond imagination, I came close to getting a 306 but a 1.4 would have been 'meh' and as above with the TDs. Thankfully, my purchase-to-be appeared in the ebay tat thread (not sure how many times I've bought cars from the links in there) and after a slightly delayed viewing, I agreed to buy it. 

Seller was alright, although the back seat driving during the test drive did my nut in. He'd adjusted the headlights far too downwards and as such, all they illuminated was 10 or so foot ahead. Also the whole 'this car is so great they loved this car etc' BS drives me round the bend, I don't need to know that, please shut up. 

So first impressions, and bear in mind I have only ever had XUD9s as my diesels so far, I was quite impressed with the performance of the XUD11. Okay, by modern standards it's no rocket, but it picks up speed pretty well, despite the annoying typically short first and second gears. Turbo kicks in around 2000rpm and keeps going for quite a while, I've surprised quite a few people with how quickly it pulls off in 3rd and 4th, and 5th is impressively tall, 70 is only 2400rpm. There's plenty left in the reserve for prompt overtaking too, although never more than 70*. 

post-20043-0-67021200-1511464365_thumb.jpg

It is however quite loud for what it is, and has more in common with the noise the diesel BX makes than the Xantia, which was wonderfully insulated. However the bigger XUD is far, far better suited to a larger car like the 406. 

post-20043-0-70244100-1511464815_thumb.jpg

I think the styling has stood the test of time, especially considering it's pushing 21 years old now. I suppose the 406 can be lauded as the last attractive Peugeot of yesteryear, despite their best efforts to ruin it with the facelift. 

Handling wise, it's good. You can understand why it 'won' the car chase in Ronin when you take it down some windy roads, it doesn't ever seem to slip. There is some slight lean, it's not as planted as the front end of the 405 is, but the ride quality is superior. It's not all good though, the steering is too light and doesn't really have any feel to it, turning sharp corners feels a bit too easy, but I suppose that became more of a norm around the time the 406 was launched. 

The clutch is nice and light though, and the gears feel solid. Obviously it has adequate stopping power with 4 all round discs, although they carry on the Peugeot norm of eating rear discs, calipers and handbrake cables. 

post-20043-0-04415600-1511465489_thumb.jpg

Annoyingly I can't get my crud laptop to download the image of the front of the interior, so this will have to do. Obviously the original buyer was disappointed they'd not done a RG 406, so did the next best thing, and ordered a green car with a caramac interior. 

The seats are narrow, but comfortable. I have noticed that Peugeots of old always seemed to be given better seats, and for some reason, better quality interiors. Obviously it's PSA parts bin inside, window switches and that (incredibly irritating) keypad being the two that you first notice. The gearstick feels cheap, the fake wood is, just that, but far better than the dismal efforts I have seen in 307s. However, its not all bad, the switch gear feels sturdy, the plastics are pretty hard wearing and despite mine having done 153k, its only baggy door cards which give it away inside. The speedo works fine, despite horror stories on the web saying that's rarer than a sighting of Lord Lucan, although having worked in phone shops for a few years, seeing Sagem written on it sends shivers down my spine. 

Another negative is the sound of the door shut. I have had a Renault 19 with a more satisfying thunk than that, and it was ancient. I think the windows are threatening escape from the runners too, as they rattle for fun. The clock is a 0/10 effort too, like Peugeot forgot to add it until 1 minute from launch or something. It doesn't feel as roomy and vast as the Xantia does inside, but I prefer the driving position. 

My best sum up of the 406 is that it feels like the best of the old Peugeot, but with signs of the new coming in. The handling and ride is still great, it's still fun to drive. The ye olde faithful XUD up front adds to that, but the warning signs are there with the way too light steering (apparently a trait of the 605 too) and made-on-a-budget feel to some aspects of the interior. 

Saying that, if you want a proper French feeling turbo diesel, 406s (and to a lesser degree) the Xantia, are probably your best bet, unless you fancy meandering through dozens of nigh on dead 306s, rotten ZXs and immensely overpriced 205s. 

The 406 nearly won car of the year when launched, but the Fiat Bravo/Brava pipped it to the post, shame.  I reckon a nice early V6 saloon is worth preserving now, they haven't got nuts value wise yet but it must only be a matter of time. 

24546849958_67232dc448_b.jpg1997 Peugeot 406 LX 2.1 DT. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Oh also, it has done over 600 miles so far on one (70 litre mind) tank, and still shows a quarter left to burn through. MOT runs out in April, I'd say let's see how it does to pick its fate but probably will have owned another 140 odd cars by then, knowing me. 

My friend has a phase 1 406 V6, it's lovely, or was lovely before some scrap metal dealer chud moved it with a forklift because it was parked near to but not blocking his yard entrance.

I had similar thoughts about driving my friend's 406, it's not as fun to drive as a 405, feels heavier with light steering but they are a nice steer.

It's a shame those 2.1 TDs use a Lucas EPIC pump but I gather it's relatively straightforward to put a Bosch pump in its place.

I don't think I've seen one with a beige interior before. Fancy.

My friend has a phase 1 406 V6, it's lovely, or was lovely before some scrap metal dealer chud moved it with a forklift because it was parked near to but not blocking his yard entrance.

I had similar thoughts about driving my friend's 406, it's not as fun to drive as a 405, feels heavier with light steering but they are a nice steer.

It's a shame those 2.1 TDs use a Lucas EPIC pump but I gather it's relatively straightforward to put a Bosch pump in its place.

I don't think I've seen one with a beige interior before. Fancy.

Some aspects of the 406 are better than the 405 but most you'd expect given the model development. I don't know if it's just me but it doesn't feel as substantial either..why that is I don't know.

I've never seen a beige interior either. From the look of slightly later LXs they had a slight revamp inside on R or S, and most buyers opted for grey seat trim.

• 1 month later...

Oooo I have a new daily:

28020736839_0d088f3599_k.jpg1994 Peugeot 205 Sceptre TD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

It was cheap.

It does have scars from an argument with another car though, and the cambelt looks worryingly old. However the engine is sweet as a nut, literally. I have heard various people say the XUD7T runs like shit in 205s now due to age and stuff breaking but this one is amazing. And the seats make me forgive Peugeot for the disappointment I had after trying out a 205 last year, they're great!

I actually do want to keep this one as a daily. I've never said that before, right?!

Oh also that horrific rear sunstrip is being binned.

• 2 weeks later...

post-20043-0-33867800-1517171232_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-59374500-1517171247_thumb.jpg

So, yesterday I finally got to try and buy a Rover 200. First impressions are pretty much all good to be honest. Drives superbly and everything feels tight and rattle free. The seats are wonderful and the driving position is spot on, albeit higher than I am used to.

Downsides are rust. And more rust. This one's been bitten by the oxide bug quite hard on the arches and door bottoms. Mechanically seems fine though, so who cares about rust for now. Fuel economy seems alright, being used to diesels makes petrol seem like a greedy monster but 70 miles and the gauge barely moved so it's running fine.

Seller had a bloody Subaru GLF in their garage too, I suggested they join some forums but didn't think I knew them well enough to name drop autoshite...

I like this car.

I love that, pre-facelift, dark blue, those wheel trims, that is almost my ideal R8 (I am more of a saloon guy myself).

However that interior is something else, why isn't blue leather more common, it is gorgeous. That is an absolutely excellent purchase and I am looking forward to seeing more of it on here.

I love that, pre-facelift, dark blue, those wheel trims, that is almost my ideal R8 (I am more of a saloon guy myself).

However that interior is something else, why isn't blue leather more common, it is gorgeous. That is an absolutely excellent purchase and I am looking forward to seeing more of it on here.

I think I prefer the prefacelift too, it just looks right. Apparently blue leather was deleted as an option when the facelift appeared anyway, and I've not knowingly seen another.

This was originally registered and owned by Rover UK until early 1994, when the long term elderly owner had it, for 15 or so years.

Wow, you bought this then eh? Nice work

Yep. I think buying it in the dark wasn't the best idea as it's a bit filthy and a bit rusty but none of it looks terminal anyway. 

Pretty annoyed at myself that it took me so long to actually own a Rover, as this one is a lovely bit of kit and has probably the best quality interior and switch gear I have had in any car so far.

25136608497_12a4aa3277_z.jpgMy 1993 Rover 216 GSI. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

39297899564_19fcb1acb4_z.jpgMy 1993 Rover 216 GSI. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Another day, another set of photos taken in the dark.

The front wings are a little crumbly, but I assume they're an easy replacement. The NS rear arch is pure metal dandruff by the sill though, it was probably last part of the car some years ago now. 

It's been driving well, I have a feeling the alternator is a bit old though as it's straining under heavy load a little, but no qualms about the car in general as it all works and it all works fine, with no complaints. Even the original stereo functions fine and all the speakers have that really pleasant 90s warmth to them. 

A request for the following:

-2x front wings for a prefacelift 200.

-If anyone want's to weld this car up for me, I will pay you to do so! I don't know of any decent bodywork shops round here and I think my local garage would tell me 'no thanks' if I asked.

-Rover mats. I'd like those. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, just thought I'd make this more of a general fleet update, amongst other things.

AX was sold to a bloke up north who has not done anything with it. No SORN or anything. I worry for that car as it was lovely, and I actually regret selling it now. I had a spin (or 6) of it round the block before it departed on the back of a Transit flatbed and it was a hoot. However, I made a profit on it! I have never done that before so it was actually quite refreshing for that to happen.

I strongly suspect I will own another Citroen of the 90s at some point. Or a 405. I do really like 405s and miss the ones I have owned. Does anyone on here have a 405 I can 'shotgun'?!

Anywho, the Rover has been faultless really. A leak in the exhaust has recently appeared so it now sounds like a fart when you let go of the revs. But otherwise, I helped my brother move house in it last weekend and it was fine, the hot start issue (TADTS) gets a bit annoying but I barely drive it at the moment. My weekly mileage has dropped from 250 or so down to like 35! Fuel economy seems to be around 37.5, which is what I expected really, I don't hang about in it most of the time either. The rust is pretty awful though, by my reckoning it needs more or less all arches doing, and the offside sill at the very front. The door bottoms are getting that way too but that's hardly a concern right now. 

My plan with it is to keep it until mechanical issue/MOT expiry and then SORN it, and make it another long term project. R8 values seem all over the place, and other than the coupe models, they don't seem to appreciate at all. There is plenty of chancers out there attempting to charge ££££ for them of course.

Anyway, enough waffle. Have some photos.

39332939444_0a2e28e07c_k.jpg1993 Rover 216 GSI Blue Leather Interior. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

post-20043-0-69392900-1518711762_thumb.jpeg

You can see where it's rotting in the bottom photo. The offside rear arch was plated a few MOTs back and that's gone a bit shitty, but the nearside is made of filler, which has now disappeared. I think it had a bump up the rear at one stage too as there is a screw holding one of the clusters in, and it leaks in the boot there too! In fact, I found the VIC check sheet and on the notes from the OAP owner it says he can't attend unless he has a helper at the time, due to mobility issues. Didn't put him off driving it though, good on him. I strongly suspect he has now passed away though.

In other fleet news, the Tipo is still in storage. I will dig it out at the end of March and get some miles on it once it's had some fettling. 

The Tempra has decided to no longer start. I hope it's the ancient battery but it could be the fuel pump, or even the glow plug relay. I managed to make a reasonable attempt at cleaning the minging dashboard, so it doesn't have dust, hair and mould stuck in the degraded surface.

I should have a LHD Tipo arriving in a few weekends time. It is a G reg 1.4 DGT I believe, but all of the trim has been sprayed red so it looks a bit loud. My plan is to use it as a breaker for the Tempra and Tipo, as it has many bits I can use, including the doors, wheels, steering wheel, lights etc. It has only cost me £250 too. 

Otherwise this shouldn't change between now and summer, unless the steal of the century appears, or a 405/ZX I truly cannot resist comes up. It's actually been a tough week as I've seen loads of stuff online I really truly want, but have to say no to.

I'll update this when the LHD Tipo appears. I still can't seem to find temporary insurance for it though.

Would love to see some Tempra pics; surely it's a TD (which are a flier, every bit as good as an xud) and not sans turbot?

No, it is genuinely a 1.9D in luxury S spec. I think whoever owned it new was a miser, as it has no sunroof, and no electric anything either. Supposedly the only one still around too. 

I'll try and get some photos of it, it's been sat on grass for a few months, so I hope the floor hasn't rotted away!