Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

The trouble with the 156 is that it arrived at the same time as the E46 - these were of course crap, but had much more showroom appeal. I like 156's but have never felt compelled to own one.

Have to correct you there - 318’s/320’s yeh maybe but get a decent engine and they’re cracking - I’ve got an e46 328ci - much fun on the track and handles very well.

Decided to rag the Alfa a little to work today, and yeah it's pretty fast. Happily the handling is nice and level, nothing to suggest a strut or wheel are that far out of alignment.

Unfortunately I also discovered that all 4 arches are rotting around the bottom, so my guess is the sills are none too happy.

I like it, but I'm not sure I want to spend anything on it.

Might be for sale pretty soon to be honest.

It went last week. Oddly though, the buyer came down in his (rough looking ex taxi) Hyundai Matrix and it's been sat outside my house for a week. I did ask if he knew when he'd come back for it but I've had no reply. Now all my neighbours must think I have even less taste than normal.

Decided to rag the Alfa a little to work today, and yeah it's pretty fast. Happily the handling is nice and level, nothing to suggest a strut or wheel are that far out of alignment.

Unfortunately I also discovered that all 4 arches are rotting around the bottom, so my guess is the sills are none too happy.

I like it, but I'm not sure I want to spend anything on it.

Might be for sale pretty soon to be honest.

I drove past it the other day, it's a stunner....

If you do sell please let me know.

I drove past it the other day, it's a stunner....

If you do sell please let me know.

It does have some mild paint issues and the rust (albeit not that bad, over-reaction perhaps) on all arch bottoms. 

Here's some more photos:

44663321711_49d1f12ea5_b.jpg20180913_213405 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

30793086048_ab0fa2e124_b.jpg20180913_214316 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Surprisingly only one warning lamp on, which is incorrect anyway as it thinks a bulb is out somewhere, it is not.

30793086158_f07470cfe0_b.jpg20180913_214345 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

That interior. 

It's a bit of a mindtwisting car. I get out and think I don't like it, then I take it for a spin and love it again. It's got some character to it. that's for sure. It's not as well made inside compared to the 164, but it actually feels like a competent car, and the grip for a FWD car with a heavy old engine up front is very good. I can't help but admire how every single Italian car I've had just goes where you point it, 164 notwithstanding....

I also dropped off the Gates timing kit for the XM at the garage today. It doesn't look quite so nice in sunlight, I did notice some rusty bits even from 10 foot, which is disappointing. I wonder what the pre-MOT assessment will say?

this month's modern classics mag has a Alfa greats write up.

modernclassics.jpg

So as I went on an airplane today, I picked this up.

They reckon a project 156 V6 is now £700. Useable is £1500.

Considering I put mine toward the latter of the two, I think I've done pretty well. Cheers Bauer Media for making me feel even more smug about how much I paid.

*Disclaimer* I know their value estimates are usually tosh.

'sorry we cannot quote you for the details provided' and it's the same down the phone.

I'll assume it's my age, or someone crashing an E36 on my road or something.

Welcome to the WilsonWilson club. You have achieved a high enough amount of policy changes that you are now on a special secret FUCK YOU M8 list shared by all insurance underwriters in the British Isles. Possibly.

Welcome to the WilsonWilson club. You have achieved a high enough amount of policy changes that you are now on a special secret FUCK YOU M8 list shared by all insurance underwriters in the British Isles. Possibly.

This seems to be the case here, too. Footman James must have become very cautious recently, I dont think I was able to get a single quote from them recently.

This seems to be the case here, too. Footman James must have become very cautious recently, I dont think I was able to get a single quote from them recently.

Thats probably my fault. I must have started more than 10 policies with them and cancelled them in the cooling off period.

Anyone got a part number for an XU10 non turbo tensioner? Looking on eBay shows more than one...which is no help at all.

What injection system manufacturer is it?  There were 3 different flavours on the XU10 2 litre. Very early was magnetti marelli ( I know this as we've got one and bits for it are massively difficult to find)  then I think it was the usual suspects of bosch and lucas on the others, although I might be wrong on manufacturers. It might mean that fitment of belts, pulleys etc was different. Just a though, might be worth asking on the XM forum (not facebook but the actual forum) 

I'll be honest, I have no idea. The whole thing is a bit stressful as the garage seem to be relying on me for the bits... and the original tensioner is apparently toast.They keep mentioning that it's rusty, and it did seem sat at a very funny angle when I saw it a week or so ago, so I'm hoping that's not a sign the rear subframe is wrecked. Do these suffer odd rear wheel lean when rotten?

You would be so much better off with a trade policy. As has been said you are ultimately trading them on regardless of whether they are profit/loss. To give you some idea I pay £1100 fully comp WITH nationwide breakdown recovered back to home (included this just incase anything were to happen to the truck) this also includes high performance so am covered on anything from a beetle to a Bugatti Veyron. I am 28

More importantly you will be saving admin fees everytime you add/remove cars. I am able to text the reg and a car is added in under 30 seconds