Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

I have heard people say the 1.9TD in the Tempra and Tipo can be pretty potent! Not sure if you can 'turn the screw' so to speak but surely something similar? Performance figures look similar but apparently the Tipo is quicker to 60.

They sold a TD GT in Italy and probably other European countries and they look amazing. Alloys, 'Gran Turismo' emblazoned on the rear end, and most likely a tasty interior. I have seen some specced with red leather!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want my 216 GSI for £275? It's going into short term store with a fellow shiter (thank you), and it's become difficult to justify keeping it long term now.

Blue leather and full wheel trims await anyone who is keen.

I'll probably change my mind and keep it but I really need to divert money to the Tipo and Tempra at the moment.

That looks great Sam. Is that a spares car or a project?

It's for parts. I'm nabbing the alloys and side skirts, as well as a door or two, and some other bits.

I might then sell the rest as a project for anyone interested as it's engine is superb.

Anyway, the reason I got this car was down to the need for parts for both my Tipo and Tempra. The latter is looking very sad now, and it hasn't actually started for ages, which I suspect may be a fuelling problem. At the opposite end of the scale, my Tipo has been in dry storage since October and that makes me very happy. 

Bought this LHD one from a nice German lady, she had owned it since 1989, and only gave it up due to the lack of power steering and needing an automatic. She now uses an LHD Subaru XV, which I liked, as they're definite future shite. 

The car has a few down sides. Bashed by other London drivers, interior absolutely hums of dog and it's leaking through the windscreen, the headlining is shot to bits around said area. 

It was a real experience driving it back, I have never driven LHD before, and the lack of power steering made reverse parking a bit of an ordeal, but it was fine in the end. I rate the 1.4 i.e. unit, it's good on motorways and has that same really nice exhaust note the 1.6 carb engine has, if a bit less gruff and poppy. 

Anyone on here who is interested in the bits, or the whole car minus what I need, let me know. I will genuinely let the rolling shell (with bits attached like gearbox, engine, etc, and with the Tempras steel wheels) for £100. It's done approx 90k, and it would be a genuine shame to bail the rest. 

And i know of a red Tipo in a very well respected scappers down in Cheltenham who would probably sell you all the bit's I'm taking for £100 or so...

Did you collect it from Beckenham, as there's a LHD red one around here (or there used to be if it's the same).

That is the very same. It's also been on Flickr. 

There's a white Formula in South Croydon, if you want a Tipo I think the owner wants to sell it, I can give you their details.

A Merc is probably a whole load nicer to waft in than a shouty 80s Fiat....

Just drove this Tipo around for a bit and it's a really nice steer. Bloody rough over bumps though, the owner told me she had to raise the suspension (?!) due to the bumper catching things.

In other fleet news, the Tempra is finally on the dry stuff.

40596151472_a108f33326_b.jpg20180305_160743 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

It definitely doesn't want to start though, which I am hoping is due to damp and a duff battery. I will steal the Tipo one and try again this weekend.

It's looking a bit sad after so long sat still, which is annoying but hopefully after a few swapped panels and some alloys it will be looking a touch fresher. 

The Tipo helped to tow it out too. Sadly I now CBA attempting to sell that, so it will be getting bailed. It's got an almighty oil leak too. 

Hmmm, still a no go on the starting. It does turn and gives you the faintest hope it wants to fire but nothing. I've even tried using that weird pump timing advance plunger, and all it does is lessen the absolute smog cloud it clatters out when attempting to start. 

Anyone got any ideas? It is a basic as anything 1.9D unit, with a jaw dropping 65bhp of power. I did initially think it could be the plugs but having had a couple of XUDs and a Clio 1.9D suffer that issue, it doesn't sound like the engines trying to start on compression only.

In other news, as some of you may have seen, the front floor pan is doing what it does best on these, and is rotting a good 'un. It's a bit annoying really as the rest of it is genuinely solid, which is a stark contrast to what you'd expect it to be like. I reckon a good 10 inches long of the floor on the drivers side, right by where it joins the sill has gone shitty. Dammit. 

On a bit of a low ebb with it, i think it wouldn't be so bad if it actually started and ran. Oh and i just remembered the previous owner telling us that a rear wheel bearing had 'collapsed', despite the fact the car is the same level on all 4 corners. I did hear a slight grinding when it was being pushed the other day, assumed it's probably typical Fiat brake calamity. 

In other car news, I have hopefully got one or two announcements this weekend regarding the fleet. 

So, picked up this little beauty today:

post-20043-0-47645500-1520707156_thumb.jpg

Found on Facebook marketplace of all places, which should sound alarm bells at the best of times but it was a daughter selling it for her elderly father. It was ridiculously cheap for an AX with MOT too, and given its only done 54k I think £200 was very reasonable.

It's base central inside, the Debut was really just a no frills car. 4 speed 954cc with a choke (which surprised me given its a K reg), basic seats and sadly the 5 door misses out on the bottle holders.

It drove 200 odd miles without fault, although slowing down is a bit iffy as the brakes judder quite madly, which will need further investigation. Otherwise it seems fine, heater blows like a furnace, the few electrics it has seem to function as intended. I even got given a ton of spares with it, including the hallowed (to me at least) 'Taking Care of Your AX' Cassette.

It does have all the wheel trims too, but I think these suit the bare steels look anyway. And it has all the mudflaps, like a true rally car.

Big thanks for the help today Captain Slow and Barrett, who is a legend and has offered space at his for it for the time being. I think he even slightly enjoyed driving it.

Knew I wouldn't be Citroen-less for long.

It's not too bad on motorways and the improved sound proofing the later cars got does make it a tad more civilised. However due to the brakes being a bit iffy I didn't really take it beyond 65.

I've never seen an AX with decals on the doors before, which partially sold it to me to be honest....

I'm planning on keeping this as I regretted selling the last one as soon as it went.

The AX won't be for sale, trust me. It's not a daily anyway, more on that tomorrow...

Regarding the Tempra, yes it did run back in January and it ran reasonably well then too. I just wonder if the intense cold and wet conditions have done something to it.

Adding some fresh diesel got it running back in January, maybe that's gone a bit iffy since....