Which thread?

pompei

Posted Image

These were found at a dealer about 20 miles from Hull - he always has a tatty range of stuff on his front. The Rover is a diesel.

The vehicle details for FAT 687Y are:

Date of Liability 01 12 2000

Date of First Registration 23 09 1982

Year of Manufacture 1982

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2393CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Heavy Oil

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour RED

Blimey, so it is. Excellent! Hasn't seen the road for a long time though!!

Diesel SD1 must be quite rare I'd imagine. And quite slow too!

They're not that bad - they run the 2.4-litre VM turbo diesel engine as found in Range Rovers, Jeep Cherokees and the like, and in slightly larger form in the 825D and diesel Scorpios. They actually go reasonably well for an '80s diesel - I think the only diesel faster than the 2400SD at the time was the Citroën CX.

Those VM diesels are supposed to be fine as long as they're working and receive lots of love, but otherwise... not fine. They have a separate cylinder head for each cylinder!

I am reading this bit right aren't I :? ??? A seperate head per cylinder (any piccies plz)?? How strange...Plus I have never seen a Diesel SD1 in my life :oops: as they are all 6's or 8's around here...

I once bought a Rover 825 diesel from a car auction in Newcastle for £100. Typically the engine was bolloxed so I repaired it as best I could, getting the heads skimmed and putting it back together with a 'new' SH piston and conrod and sump and honing the bore which seemed to have gained some nice big gouges. It was a bit smokey on start up but went like stink and sipped the old kero at 40mpg. A great engine and car combo, wouldnt like to do a clutch on one of them though. The 2.5 is about 118 bhp but the 2.4 is only about 95 as I recall.

I once bought a Rover 825 diesel from a car auction in Newcastle for £100. Typically the engine was bolloxed so I repaired it as best I could, getting the heads skimmed and putting it back together with a 'new' SH piston and conrod and sump and honing the bore which seemed to have gained some nice big gouges. It was a bit smokey on start up but went like stink and sipped the old kero at 40mpg. A great engine and car combo, wouldnt like to do a clutch on one of them though. The 2.5 is about 118 bhp but the 2.4 is only about 95 as I recall.

I bought mine for £140, the clutch slave cylinder failed on the way home and due to 'crashing' the gearbox for a week or so the gearbox failed 7000 miles later. :roll: Managed to flog it with dead gearbox for £50 though.The engine really suits the slightly shambolic nature of the 800, you're right enough, and with nearly 200 lb/ft of torque they keep up with the traffic keenly - I'd have one again, or even a Scorpio TD for driftingz... (would this Granny have the old Peugeot engine or the VM lump?)