NEC Classic Car Show - November

Alfamale

Just don't bother going, it's an appalling show in a dreadful venue in The MIDLANDS. Just stay at home and put the money towards something good instead of moaning about it on the internets

Nowt wrong with the Midlands, not much right with it either though

I’m planning to go on Saturday. Tempted to stay overnight as I’m usually knackered at the end of it only to have a 200mi trip back at the end of it. Any recommendations?

I can certainly recommend NOT staying in the Regency Hotel near Shirley, and anywhere too close to the airport is going to be expensive because airport. I'd probably AirBNB it. 

The two '74 Golfs were lovely. I had a red 1100N on an N plate 20 odd years ago but it doesn't seem to have survived. 

Oh yes, spot the wankers:

I got that impression from the Maserati stand when I went a couple of years ago, if you hadn't got one from the 60s that was worth £1/4m  they weren't interested in talking to you

Just don't bother going, it's an appalling show in a dreadful venue in The MIDLANDS. Just stay at home and put the money towards something good instead of moaning about it on the internets

I really enjoyed it last year but each to their own of course. Nice looking at all the shiny metal that I could never own (I hate washing cars, so wouldn't stay shiny). It's only the second time I've been admittedly. I'm sure if someone has been for a couple of years then it can get a bit samey?

Sheffield to Brum International and return, a bargainous £92.

Ninety two fucking pounds.

I'll drive and park.

I think on the national rail journey planner you could find that on any Saturday in November you could get 2 advance single tickets for a total return trip of 35 quid.

AS you are changing at new street, you might find if you split the tickets you can get it cheaper.

I know that if I want to book an open day return to Brum from Formby it would e gazillions of squids but if I split the ticket I can get a return for about 25 quid.

I really enjoyed it last year but each to their own of course. Nice looking at all the shiny metal that I could never own (I hate washing cars, so wouldn't stay shiny). It's only the second time I've been admittedly. I'm sure if someone has been for a couple of years then it can get a bit samey?

Certainly gets samey when the Skoda Owners Club bring the same horribly modified blue Skoda EVERY TIME. Thankfully, most clubs are good at bringing a different mix of cars to each show. C&SC awards certainly take that into account. I like it, especially now the lighting is less orange. 

It's about four or five quid on the train from local stations, many of which are in the sort of places that just let you park on the street nearby.

So if you're going on your own, check out a local train ticket. Three or more people, park at Birmingham International.

It takes an incredible effort by all the clubs to put a stand together for this show and I know because I've been doing it for 6 years and 12 shows! The problem for all clubs is getting different club members to provide their cars for the show that will then be kept on the stand for 4 days (including set up) and all of the costs and arrangements for the owners involved in that. It is a total ball-ache.Then, once the show opens, you have to stand there for 3 days and listen to 'experts' tell you all about your cars, how crap they are and how they didn't think any were left. But you also see people who have nothing but praise for the cars, love the stand and come back once more during the day just to take it all in again. I'm not sure why some blokes take their wives with them as they always look totally pissed off - even if they don't have kids to shout at.

I do think the live stage thing should go, though. Why sit and listen to Mike Brewer waffle on when you could be enjoying all the cars on show instead? It'd be better if the 'stars' mingled with the crowds more and engaged with the clubs, cars and enthusiasts who make the scene what it is. 

70,000 people visited the show last year, which was a record, but I agree it is an expensive day out and can be quite stressful, but it is probably the best classic car show in the UK and worth visiting even if it's only once every other year. At least it's warm and dry in the NEC. 

That's me oot....

Last year the Saturday was apparently rammed. The Sunday however was buzzing still, but certainly didn't feel like it was rammed at all.

This year I'm going on the Friday in the hope it'll be a nice peaceful time. Friday is more expensive too, which I guess helps focus most peoples minds to the Saturday and Sunday. If its nice and quiet, the extra money I reckon will be worth it.

Last year the Saturday was apparently rammed. The Sunday however was buzzing still, but certainly didn't feel like it was rammed at all.

This year I'm going on the Friday in the hope it'll be a nice peaceful time. Friday is more expensive too, which I guess helps focus most peoples minds to the Saturday and Sunday. If its nice and quiet, the extra money I reckon will be worth it.

Only thing to bear in mind on the Friday is that getting in can be a bit of an arse, because rush hour. It is a lot more relaxing than the Saturday though.

I’m planning to go on Saturday. Tempted to stay overnight as I’m usually knackered at the end of it only to have a 200mi trip back at the end of it. Any recommendations?

We used to stay in the Coventry Travelodge opposite the cathedral. Not too far away from the show.

It's about four or five quid on the train from local stations, many of which are in the sort of places that just let you park on the street nearby.

So if you're going on your own, check out a local train ticket. Three or more people, park at Birmingham International.

Last time I went I parked at the resorts world shopping centre for £2 , they've changed it now , you have to spend £20 to park for £2 but I'd sooner do that than pay £12 to park , 5 minute walk to the halls

Fellow mingebags:

If you park at Birmingham international station it's a flat rate £9 a day on Saturdays and Sundays. Still a rip off, but at least it's cheaper than using the NEC official car parks.

Plus it will probably be raining, and it's a covered walkway all the way from the station to the halls.

The food & drink is normally cheaper at the outlets based at the station than it is in the halls too.

• 3 weeks later...

Its now less than 12 hours now till the show opens. My tickets are all printed and I'm setting off early tomorrow with my father-in-law. I'm really looking forward to it!

Anyone else going tomorrow?

No. My alarm goes off in 50.minutes and then I'm going to Sheffield with some aerospace parts to do some pre-delivery tests on a machine which has a laser.

Then I need to get home for a gas service.

Me and a couple of friends are going tomorrow. I last went in 2009 so it is time I went back. Last time I lost my car in the car park and spent an hour looking for it having a mild panic! I don't really see how it can be stressful to attend as a visitor (unless you have a phobia for crowded places), you have all day to walk round, we will probably be there for four or five hours.