NEC Classic Car Show - November

Alfamale

Quite a few people have wanted to be on the SOCGB stand at the NEC over the years, but couldn't, because of that sodding Barried Estelle, which is shit, cars like Julian of this parish's Estelle, which is concours,

I wonder if this 'Bev' pays for the stand, or a signifcant contribution.  I recall with my involvement showing a car with Lancia Betaboys Club its wasn't a cheap venue.  Quite costly in fact.  Did get drunk every night though.

Thanks for the nice comments about our Princess stand. I note the complaints about the same cars being at the show every year on some of the stands and agree it’s not ideal, but trying to get owners to display their cars at the NEC for a total of four days at their expense is a big hurdle and many owners just can’t be arsed with the hassle or expense, so it’s left up to the same old faces with their cars to put the effort in every year. Three of the four cars on our Princess stand were NEC show virgins – mine was a last minute addition as the original car that was to be displayed was involved in an unfortunate incident and the backup car also had a fail the night before the show. Mine was the only one I could get at 12 hours’ notice!

We mostly get complimentary comments about the Princess from the general public but, of course, we also get some very derogatory comments as well, the worst being ‘ Princess? right pieces of shit they are!’ from one knowledgeable chap.

We only do it because we love the cars and try to spread the love.

Not sure what the guy with the birds was up to... 

Chrysler 180 in autoshite colours had micro blisters all over the back end. A minor detail on an overwise superb motor vehicle.

Assume the same one owned by Forum member boobydoo ?

6760445211_5d14b31da4_z.jpg

http://autoshite.com/topic/10580-4-petrol-malarkey/

http://autoshite.com/topic/11448-one-weekend750-miles-and-a-chrysler-2-litre/

To be fair, the club doesn't have much of a pick of survivors of this model !

Micro-blistering is unfortunate but, to me, shouldn't the criticised in the same way as the hyper-inflated trade stand cars with average prep and finish.  They're the reason I got so angry in recent years and why I kept away this year. Maybe I over-reacted, but listening to the above, maybe not!   And my feet are nice and perky for once and not still worn-out come Monday.

attachicon.gifAP1130896.jpg

The Vanden Plas stand was great with nicely lit interiors.  They should have made this 1800 saloon here rather than exporting it.

attachicon.gifAP1140065.jpg

Look remarkably like that Rover Avocado (?) green

attachicon.gifAP1130964.jpg

Mirafiori

Austin Kimberleys weren't built here, they were a bona-fide Leyland Australia product.  This one was imported into the UK, converted, but BMC managment refused to take it further than this prototype.  It's lived in Scotland for years.

That green is definitely of its time.  This VW colour was similarly unforgetably named: Bali Green (L62A).  I think I've got that right.

I remember that sliding glovebox lid on the 131 Series II so well. As a young lad, impressed by the weird unconventional, it still seemed daft.

Cheers

Too many car show attendees are obsessed with paint. 

At previous NEC Classics I saw worrying numbers of visitors standing over people's P&Js giggling and rubbing their fingers over flaws on the panels like it was the greatest offence in the world. It's really, really, really sad. 

At one of the last shows I took my Amazon to, I had one 'fellow enthusiast' with a Morris Minor more or less condemned it as scrap because it didn't have a concours paint job. "Well, it runs, dunnit?" Patronising arsehole. Sorry I couldn't spend all my spare income rubbing polish into every nook and cranny; I was too busy repairing and driving it. 

Bear in mind my Volvo was sound underneath, had passed the MoT with no advisories and didn't have tyreleader's cheapest boots on. 

I despise the shiny paint, shit tyres brigade - they can never keep their fucking views to themselves. It's concours or scrap as far as they're concerned. They're one of the many reasons why I stopped taking my cars to shows. People couldn't give a toss about 80s stuff, so they leave the Piazza alone. It's not a Ford, Jaguar, MG or wobbed up VW, you see. 

Many thanks for all the photographs - could not make this show this year so good to see what I missed. I will be at the Restoration show in March with the UKSaabs stand, and as good as this show is, I prefer the restoration show as it has a better mix of shinies and chod. If AS is going to put together a stand (a great idea) then the restoration show would be the one to aim for in my opinion.

We did consider a stand at one point. I would have been happy to organise it. Then we wondered what the point is. Do we actually want to advertise ourselves to the wider world? That's kind-of the point really.

If we did, it could be the alternative view on Classics. Instead of stories on how much work has gone into restoration, have stories on where the cars have been and how many miles it's done in recent years?

That was the Cortina Savage. When it was delivered (the owner didn't drive it there) it rolled off the back of the transporter straight into the large wheel of a parked vintage car. Apparently the winch cable snapped and there was no one in the car at the time to do any braking.

Didn't stop the owner polishing the shit out of it all weekend, though he didn't win anything.

Probably a write off!

That was the Cortina Savage. When it was delivered (the owner didn't drive it there) it rolled off the back of the transporter straight into the large wheel of a parked vintage car. Apparently the winch cable snapped and there was no one in the car at the time to do any braking.

Didn't stop the owner polishing the shit out of it all weekend, though he didn't win anything.

Probably a write off!

I know, he was spraying it with detailer most of the time. Seemed pointless to me. It was really bad at the back.

• 11 months later...

PARKING WARNING

I've just seen that it's now £12 if you book in advance, or bloody £16 if you pay on the day. Ludicrous! I suggest the only sensible course of action is to not bring your car anywhere near the place.

http://www.thenec.co.uk/visitors/parking/

Usual tricks apply. Get the train, then you've got a covered walk to the halls all the way. Park at Birmingham International - it's expensive, but not that expensive. Get a lift with a rich friend.

Hello all, That time of the year again. Probably going on the Friday with our lass in tow. Cheeky request but is anyone Kind enough to share a club discount code? DM if preferred. Thanks

Last years was:

Found the code CSCMS15 from a 2015 forum post but it didn't work. However CSCMS17 seems to work and gave 2 quid off a ticket...

Not sure which club discount it's for though!

Try changing the 17 to 18. Unfortunately only valid for Saturday and Sunday.

I.e.

Single Quote Code CSCMS18

Family Quote Code CFCMS18

I've got the Friday booked off work and tickets bought. Hoping it'll be a bit quieter that day. Admittedly the Sunday last year was quiet but I think the weather was really nice that day?

PARKING WARNING

I've just seen that it's now £12 if you book in advance, or bloody £16 if you pay on the day. Ludicrous! I suggest the only sensible course of action is to not bring your car anywhere near the place.

http://www.thenec.co.uk/visitors/parking/

Usual tricks apply. Get the train, then you've got a covered walk to the halls all the way. Park at Birmingham International - it's expensive, but not that expensive. Get a lift with a rich friend.

Same price now as parking in Bristol city centre for the day! £56.90 each as an open return for me to catch a train instead. So while parking is still a rip-off, its far cheaper for my Father-in-law and myself to travel by car.