WBOD 2017, show us what ya got for omgsnokaos

barmatt

I picked up my little gem of a WBOD yesterday for £250 but I won't tax it till November it's got scratches all down one side and the other side is immaculate but I've got to keep telling myself it's a WBOD so I mustn't spend money on it.

Added bonus is its A Honda lump and low mileage so it drives spot on.post-9282-0-61690600-1507619960_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-03269000-1507620007_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-97292400-1507620050_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-62866100-1507620086_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-18253300-1507620106_thumb.jpeg

I've gone Auto so it's nice and easy to just slip it into low range and go, sorry for the upside down pictures again.

The taxi drivers in Aviemore used to run BMWs and M-Bs on winter tyres, they got on fine even running up to Cairngorm in the depths of winter. Winter tyres are transformational.

Amen brother. I've been using them on my old Thema for years. Even passed a Freelander on the incline up into our village a couple of years ago.

• 1 month later...

Well, the WBOD is done! 

Took me bloody ages to find some suitable winter wheels and tyres for the beemer that weren't mega££££'s, finally managed to get a set of ebay for slightly more than I paid for the rest of the car. Who knew e39's had a unique offset? not me. 

Anyway a mad dash in the workshop last night to get the wheels changed and the last few bits done ready for it's test this morning and it's all good, she passed! my rwd 184bhp wbod has a shiny new ticket. :D

I insured it last week so I only had to tax it after the test and I could go for a good blast, by 'eck does it shift when you boot it.

Amen brother. I've been using them on my old Thema for years. Even passed a Freelander on the incline up into our village a couple of years ago.

I've shod the black mondeo with a set of Michelin x-climates- they feel very surefooted at the moment and it will be interesting to see what sort of benefit they bring in general winter driving and especially if OMGSNOWCHAOS happens.

The GGG appear to have fixed the climate here. Some of the warmth has gone away to make it merely pleasantly mild and not rain.

Therefore nothing will change in terms of winter prep. I might slide the lever from COOL to WARM and get the smell of burning dust and have some long-perished foam rubber fly out of the vent and into my eyes* so that's changed somewhat. Usually the aircon stays on year-round.

Phil

*Because where else would it bloody well go?

Anyone have any knowledge of Nexen winter tyres?

The Vel Saturate is currently running on what are reputed to be Chinese rings of Doom.

I plan to replace them with some cold weather tyres, but by God they're expensive in 225/55x17.

Nexen?

Good idea?

Johnk rates them quite highly

Anyone have any knowledge of Nexen winter tyres?

The Vel Saturate is currently running on what are reputed to be Chinese rings of Doom.

I plan to replace them with some cold weather tyres, but by God they're expensive in 225/55x17.

Nexen?

Good idea?

I used part worn Nexen winters on my Xantia then my Volvo 940 TD, they're good.

*DRIVES TOO FAST FOR THE CONDITIONS AND BLAMES TYRE BRAND RATHER THAN SELF*

Checked antifreeze mix and it's ready

Just need to fix the heater which works but fresh air vent stuck open which makes motorway driving chilly.

Jan 2010 was the last time we had Snow of any sort that needed worrying about*

post-3439-0-43141300-1510660246_thumb.jpg

*worrying about = can I get into the boot to retrieve the tree strop for other car recovery, clearing road activity

Never done the WBoD thing up until now.   A combination of circumstances (euphemism for fucked cars) has led to purchase of this....

post-5367-0-45488500-1510680066_thumb.jpg 

1.4 Zetec   

Not my first choice of car but cheap, available and nearby.    FWD for the ferocious South England blizzards and heated front screen which I last had the luxury of in a Mk3 Granada Ghia.    Only mod so far is to remove the rear headrests so I can see out the back of the bloody thing - it has a USB stereo though.   Rocking to work, now, we are.....Oh, and why can't all cars have a sunroof like a caravan window?   No poxy switchgear or wiring.

I'm lucky and get a company van to use so that's commuting solidly taken care of, and I don't even pay for fuel!

But my old cars don't set foot on salted roads which leaves me without a car to use.

So this,

37811490951_189781bd79_o.jpgIMG_0749 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Being both old enough to be interesting and tough enough to laugh in winters ugly face will be my weapon of choice for tooling around in.

Last time it snowed here, when it actually layed and did a bit of damage anyway, was probably 2010. Back then I had... a 740 saloon of the same age! It did a sterling job of it and because the idiots all got stuck or stayed indoors I got some rear wheel drive fun in the snow!

The 740 will be kept immaculately clean though!

I used part worn Nexen winters on my Xantia then my Volvo 940 TD, they're good.

*DRIVES TOO FAST FOR THE CONDITIONS AND BLAMES TYRE BRAND RATHER THAN SELF*

I am no stranger to shit tyres, but the Nexen "Classe Premiere" is amonst the worst tyres I've driven on. "Too fast for the conditions" on them translated to around 10MPH in the wet !

How about Barums? Aren't they cheapy Euro rings? [Runs/hides]

Have a gander at the tyre review sites.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Barum/Polaris-3.htm

Looked at these but £77 each.

Nexens were cheapest on mytyres at £68, but because I put them into my basket yet didn't check out, 

I seem to have been bombarded by mytyres pop ups and the price went down to £62!

As I say, if the fair wife likes driving it at the weekend, I'll cough up next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my beater is doing a grand job so far, been having an electrical issue recently which just turned out to be a knackered earth strap, otherwise she's a beaut.

I've so far done...

Wheels & tyres
new fuel pump
headlight Bulbs and adjusters
New Handbrake
Earth strap
Service stuff

and it stands me at just shy of £500 all in.

The headlight bulbs and adjusters really needed doing, night time vision was poo and is now literally brilliant

post-5550-0-36034800-1511990951_thumb.jpg

post-5550-0-48497500-1511990864_thumb.jpg

Ideal WBOD is this, due home in a week or so:

attachicon.gifE740BBDD-433B-4914-8F98-E5F489289085.jpeg

Or maybe

attachicon.gif9D3F9870-C523-44E9-9EE3-9EC9075ABE14.jpeg

Or my current daily, which is this:

attachicon.gif4636BCD4-198B-419F-A204-8A1A366FCCDE.jpeg

Or the V8 Disco 1 in emergencies, but that lets a lot of rain in so is more a summer car.

Frankly, an unbeatable brace of cars.  

Have you still got the BMW 4 series?

5th winter in this old thing.

Not getting to work is not an option, so it’s that killer combination of Jap, NA Pez and Michelin CrossClimate tyres.

She’ll tick over 220k this Christmas, all being well.

post-19618-0-41080400-1512028433_thumb.jpeg

Can’t lie though... i wouldn’t mind the abandoned Explorer in the background for a cold commute.