WBOD 2017, show us what ya got for omgsnokaos

barmatt

TRIGGERED.

Traction control succeeds at killing power to the wheel you wanted the power going to, or killing power altogether when you most need forward motion. ABS is shit in the snow too, Audi got it right when their quattros in the 1980s had an ABS kill switch, but that's obviously too much responsibility for most modern motorists.

fJ1uz9n.jpg

Hardly any snow ever (the last few winters have been mild)

Traction control on the RX8 wasn't your average salesman saloon affair. When the wheels started slipping, it doesn't kill all 100% of the power. So it allowed enough to get the wheels moving, but not too much that they just spun in the snow.

Contrary to my experience with other cars, I found that it was setup so that if the traction control was kicking in on an RX8 in good conditions, you really were right at the edge of its limits. Possibly a bit over sometimes too...

I have bought a pair of the cheapest, loudest winter remoulds ever made but they should drag this heap up our lane over the next few months.

post-4555-0-31250400-1506971203_thumb.jpg

If that doesn't get me home then plan B is to borrow a road legal quad bike from the former owner of Tom's PTSD Cruiser.

True to form, everything is broken just in time for winter, with the clutch going weird on the Mazda, the ranger obviously borked and the freelander sounding worse than ever so I am using the roffle mgf a lot.

The dirt has taken on a three dimensional quality already.

post-17837-0-76254400-1507211680_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-08716300-1507211618_thumb.jpg

If we get proper snow the panda 4x4 will be great.

Thanks to the Australian climate global warming I shall we'll all be wofting along in the Jag all year round come 2018!

Sorted that.

No, the GGG sorted that by its tireless quest to improve® The Climate.

We shall not rest until not an ounce of salt is deployed on our roads, finally rendering WBoDs cultural assets worth preserving.

Once again I shall be in the Scirocco on its set of Hankook winter tyres.

If the Porsche breaker has any 7 X 15 wheels I might bung a set of winter tyres on the 944 too.

Its currently wearing ContiSports on 9 X 16 at the back, the tyres have a picture of a brightly shining sun and it will bog down totally and slip off the camber with the merest layer of frost.

I have never driven anything else as totally unsuitable for snow.

qmvdRBn.jpg

I assume thats in a Legacy?

Is spending between two and three grand on a new shape 2005 - 2009 ish, 100 - 150K miles estate a good/bad idea?

Personal preferences aside, auto or manual?

choice of 2, 2.5 or 3 litre? Obviously bigger is always better, but is it wirth getting a three litre?

Anything particular to look for?

This sort of thing is really getting my juices flowing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Legacy-3-0RN-SPORTS-TOURER-MASSIVE-SPEC-SAT-NAV-LEATHER-PRIVACY-GLASS-/112339412185?hash=item1a27f364d9:g:b3EAAOSw2gxYzWvN

SWMBO runs the previous model Outback H6, on a 52 plate, we bought it for peanuts nearly 4 years ago and had it LPG converted and it hasn't missed a beat since, battery went flat at home cos she left the hazards on cos the bloody dogs were going mental when she parked and thats the sum total of the problems its been.

I keep suggesting she has an upgrade, but she likes her battered scraped old motor and it just keeps going, if it picks another scrape up you'd never know, she wants another Scooby when the time comes though, unbelievable grip and handling, wet road turning right just stick you foot to the floor and it romps away like on a bone dry road without a hint of what the electronics must be doing to keep it all together, she loves it cos she can drive like a twat but without any drama.

H6 has timing chain and seems to suffer less from OMGHGF which the 2.5's can do sometimes and they are cambelt to boot.

About the only real rust issue is the rear subframe so inspect that well before looking at anything else and rustproof it.

Nice car to work on apart from spark plugs which are effin tight to access due to heads only an inch of so from chassis either side, and any serious head work would mean engine out.

Check front inner drive shaft boots cos they sit above the cats and perish, however doddle to do cos the car was designed to be worked on, and just like VW's* the suspension bolts don't seize in solid.

Be wary of any already LPG converted cars, a good number come up for sale with engine rattles/misfiring, many people even if they have flashlube don't bother topping the stuff up and these will suffer valve probs if you don't use the stuff, went to look at an already converted H6 for my lad but it was definately running on 5 and the flashlube was empty, we buggered off sharpish.

This is the worst car I have ever tried to get up our not particularly steep drive when it is frozen.

Now I have another one, but it is a lot more powerful so everything will be ok if we get a bad winter!

That's an early one.  My 156 wagon is pretty good at snowkaos but then it is much* the later model with the traction ABS trickery and diesel slogging.  It really has worked when I asked of it.

After reading this thread I’ve decided I’m blowing some dough on a WBOD if I can get one cheap enough.

I found a highish mileage tatty Astra mk4 cheap locally with a 1.6 Petrol lump with a ticket till next year.

Is there anything to look at on the Astra

I assume thats in a Legacy?

Is spending between two and three grand on a new shape 2005 - 2009 ish, 100 - 150K miles estate a good/bad idea?

Personal preferences aside, auto or manual?

choice of 2, 2.5 or 3 litre? Obviously bigger is always better, but is it wirth getting a three litre?

Anything particular to look for?

This sort of thing is really getting my juices flowing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Legacy-3-0RN-SPORTS-TOURER-MASSIVE-SPEC-SAT-NAV-LEATHER-PRIVACY-GLASS-/112339412185?hash=item1a27f364d9:g:b3EAAOSw2gxYzWvN

I had a 2.5 years ago which lunched both head gaskets, beyond that it wasn't a bad car at all apart from thirst.

It's a 3.0, 2004 Legacy auto. I've run it for a couple of years now and the only issue I've had which is common to them all, is there's a 'Y piece' on the exhaust which rots out. A full exhaust is £700 plus but there are cheap alternatives to be had on Ebay for a couple of hundred quid.

Beyond that? Nothing has gone wrong, absolutely nothing. Drinks like a fish around town (17/18ish) but will do around 28/30 on a run.

3.0 fuel economy versus 2.0/2.5 isn't very different and for me is the engine of choice but diesels are known for catastrophic failure and thus are to be avoided.

They are strong money via dealers and private owners but tend to go through auctions for far less, especially the 3.0 version. Legacys sell at auction for less than Outbacks but are mechanically identical.