PTSD Cruiser sold pending collection

D Spares & Tyres

Wow Tom. You're a nice guy and you've actually handed money over for one these? Sorry for questioninformation your judgement.

There is a bloke in Bewdley who has 2 of these in metallic Red. One a daily, the other a breaker. He also has a 1999 BMW 525 so not all that bad.

I bet you pay more per month storing your Rovers than I paid for the PTSD Cruiser ☺

I bet you pay more per month storing your Rovers than I paid for the PTSD Cruiser ☺

Absolutely, but even then I question my own sanity in doing that, but I just reach the conclusion that I don't care. I like my Rovers and am determined to be driving them on the road soon.

Anyway, you probably paid more for your cruiser than I did for my BMW ;)

Enjoy your cruiser.

I had one of these, really wish i'd kept it. I had a few issues with leaky injector seals which were fairly easily sorted and the sills needed welding but it was a really good car. Not great on fuel for a diesel and the turning circle of an intercity 125 but brilliant all the same.

Beware of the ignition lock "thing" breaking and leaving the ignition on all night, flattening the battery. It's a weird arrangement and uses a long thin piece of plastic which invariably breaks. Replacements are available but not cheap. The most annoying thing is spending weeks trying to track down why your battery keeps going flat. If you get a repeated fail to start in the morning from a flat battery, there's a good chance it will be this. Thank me later.

Hired one in 2002 in the US OF A and it was pretty cool, only thing we noticed was the boot struggled to fit two full suitcases in and didn't really close properly.

Otherwise an ok bit of kit, drove well enough, stereo was good, thought it was ok really.

Wouldn't turn one down if I needed it and it was cheap.

I liked the look of these when they came out (yes, i know), but whilst i appreciate that speed and POWAAH isn't everything, I was disappointed to note that it had neither. (Pez version).

They needed to make a quick, noisy loud one, a Pt Gti or summert, instead of relying on Good Ol' Boyz from Romford (Other shit towns are available) to give them wanky paint jobs, Halfords rimz and a universal-fit cherry bomb tailpipe.

IIRC the 2 litre petrol made about 140 horses and drank like a bastard, so logic follows that it;ll be in the £300+ VED bracket; the 2.4 offered very little extra in the way of horse power or performance, thus making it pointless. 

I've not looked at the figures for the diesels, but using the old Merc lump should at least mean parts won't be too hard to source, and will probably export when you're done with it.

Well bought Sir, keep us updated.

Have a nice day, you want fries with that? etc.....

Right, my professional journalistic opinion of this car is thus:

Bear in mind I bought this car purely on price, not knowing if it was a breaker or a good one.

Obviously looks are subjective but as a car it seems fine.

The quality is nowhere near as bad as Clarkson types would have you believe. Some of the plastic trim quality looks a bit crap but after 14 years it is still there and in good order. Far better than some others. For instance, was in a 55 plate Range Rover the other day and while it may initially look impressive, the interior fittings are surprisingly low grade. Similar age BMWs and others have that 'quality look' finish that wears off, whereas the Chryslers interior looks as cheap as the day it was made. The indicator/ wiper stalks look like Daewoo items.

There is no rot on the car anywhere.

It drives nicely. Maybe it won't handle as well as a Focus or a 306, I don't know or care as its not a sports car, it will be used for carrying children and shopping at sensible speeds. It goes well though, it's been chipped to around 140 bhp I'm told...

There is plenty of room inside and I like the driving position.

The only faults I have so far with it are that the engine compartment is so small it looks like a pain to work on. There is a clutch replacement bill from two years ago for £800, that can't have been an easy job.

The other issue is that it may attract bores. I'm used to this anyway with all the classics I own and have previously owned but this may attract a different grade of bell end altogether. Time will tell.

I'll test it later this week and run it for a bit. I may grow to like it or hate it, no idea yet but as soon as it starts to cost money then its going.

It needs Talbot badges though. I was a child of the late seventies / early eighties and to me Chryslers are just rebadged Talbot's and Hillman's despite now knowing the real history of Chrysler...