Lingo trouble

pandamonium

I remember annoying everyone with the same questions not so long ago. FTW was the only one I still didn't get even in full though.....For The Win doesn't mean anything to me! :( Pogweasel posted a very useful site for translating acronyms, but I was at work at the time I bookmarked it. Sorry.Any chance of it again Pog? Pog is the champion of acronyms, always got a new one for us. There are a couple of long ones, let me think.....one was "have a cup of STFU!" shut the fuck up, the other I can't remember but it consisted of several random letters, not much help but can you remember what it was Pog? I'd love to know what it meant, or look it up if it was one of your 'too rude to be spelt out' ones! :D:wink:

...or one that's quoted verbatim:

The greengrocer exhibited his plum's [sic] in the market.

Damn those misplaced apostrophes to hell :evil:

Perhaps you'd enjoy this (if you haven't already):

Posted Image

I just started re-reading it again today at work - great fun:

A panda walked into a cafe. He ordered a sandwich, ate it, then pulled out a gun and shot the waiter. 'Why?' groaned the injured man. The panda shrugged, tossed him a badly punctuated wildlife manual and walked out. And sure enough, when the waiter consulted the book, he found an explanation. 'Panda,' read the entry for his assailant. 'Large black and white mammal native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

We see signs in shops every day for 'Banana's' and even 'Gateaux's'. Competition rules remind us: 'The judges decision is final.' Now, many punctuation guides already exist explaining the principles of the apostrophe; the comma; the semi-colon. But people who can't punctuate don't read those books! Of course they don't! They laugh at books like those!

EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES adopts a more militant approach and attempts to recruit an army of punctuation vigilantes: send letters back with the punctuation corrected; do not accept sloppy emails; climb ladders at dead of night with a pot of paint to remove the redundant apostrophe in 'Video's sold here.'

Sticklers unite! You have nothing to lose but your sense of proportion.

:D

I have in the past been one of those forum Nazis who don't take too kindly to those who insist on putting an apostrophe before every word ending in "s". Usually to be met with a torrent of foul-typed abuse. Why? It's an additional keystroke you don't need to bother with!