JohnK's Volvo - 740 GL 'E' Reg - Now belongs to JohnK.

cpjitservices

Some spacers just sit between the hub and back of the wheel and you just bolt up the wheel sandwiching the spacer.

Others you use the hubs original studs/nuts to bolt the spacer on then the spacer has its own studs/nuts that you bolt the wheel on with.

It's dead easy to add or remove them.

Do you have steel or alloy original wheels?

Cut the blue wire, its always the blue wire...

Wider tyres means more load on all steering parts - knuckle joints, rack etc.

...No wait, I meant the red wire. Too late clock ticks down BOOM

LOL thats really helpful ;) If I blow a fuse I shall get you to replace it ;)

Thanks for the info DS regarding fatter tyres

Dan, I believe the original wheels are steel, with the original Volvo trims 

The old steels are nice looking wheels. My old 244 had them with the little stainless centre caps.

Thanks for the info, Think I'll see if I can get the proper tyres on the rims.

Would it be an issue to run with 2x alloys and 2 steels? Though they would be different sizes, this probs wouldn't be a good idea thinking about it.

I've got a couple of rheostats for 700 series instrument clusters if you want to try replacing it first? It's built into the dash pod and dead easy to remove, done it about a hundred times myself with no issues and a very basic toolkit.

Sounds just the ticket!!!!!!!

To be honest.... I could do with a spare set of clocks as fuel and temp gauge do drop off occasionally. Well, fuel gauge is none existent!

How much do you want for the rheostat?

Nothing me old fruit, PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post. Full clusters are a bit of a minefield unfortunately as they did several types so you'd need the part number from yours to get a match and they don't wear terribly well generally. Which gauges work? Might be easier to live with most of it.

Also, be careful of the PCB on the back of the cluster as they can be quite fragile.

Mostly the temp works but does drop to zero now and again think that ones a loose connection, but fuel gauge doesn't work at all, then all of a sudden it will tell me I have a full tank. Its erratic when it does work so I may need a new gauge.

Thanks mate, ill send you my address. Do you want costs for postage?

Nothing me old fruit, PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post. Full clusters are a bit of a minefield unfortunately as they did several types so you'd need the part number from yours to get a match and they don't wear terribly well generally. Which gauges work? Might be easier to live with most of it.

Also, be careful of the PCB on the back of the cluster as they can be quite fragile.

Apparently the one I need is the VDO type, all I was thinking was - If I try repairing the fuel gauge and I knacker it up, I have a set of standby clocks.

Long shot but I dont suppose any one knows what this device is on the inner side of the strut? Also follow the blue pipe - its disconnected and looks like a vacuum pipe. Can someone confirm if its supposed to be connected - someone with similar engine? Mines the 2.3 B230K.

Here's a photo

Never mind - found a diagram online... connects to bottom of air tube. Engine running sensor apparently.

post-20838-0-44068300-1508502380_thumb.jpg

Off she goes for new rear silencer fitted and center pipe replacing.

:) should make it sound better!

S80 Wheels will be coming off. Original ones to go back on with new tyres.

Are the original wheels 14" or 15" in size? I have a huge number of used-but-serviceable OEM plastic wheeltrims going spare for the latter wheels, which I have amassed over the past 14 years of owning The Volvo.

Excellent! I'm guessing the odd conponent is something carb related? Never seen one on an injected 740, bracket is usually empty.

No Idea, That thing on the inner wing, has a hose coming off it with a jubilee clip on the end, but its not connected to anything and the hose is about a meter long if that.

Strange

<Junkman> it's not Pierburgs that are shit it's English people</Junkman>

I can understand that! It is reasonably likely something in it will be clagged up though. 

See also inlet manifold.

Hmmmm might see if my local mechanic can strip down the carb and have a look see if it needs cleaning up or something! Not something I'm confident with.