JohnK's Volvo - 740 GL 'E' Reg - Now belongs to JohnK.

cpjitservices

It's worth doing regardless if it's interference or not, still shit to end up in the middle of nowhere with a snapped belt.

The bite on my 360 was quite high so I decided to change the clutch, the clutch I took out doesn't look that bad, so that sounds right. I'd leave it till it starts slipping I think.

You can adjust the cable, which might alter the bite point a little bit. 

It's worth doing regardless if it's interference or not, still shit to end up in the middle of nowhere with a snapped belt.

The bite on my 360 was quite high so I decided to change the clutch, the clutch I took out doesn't look that bad, so that sounds right. I'd leave it till it starts slipping I think.

You can adjust the cable, which might alter the bite point a little bit. 

Cable? is it not hydraulic? 

I've got spares in the boot, spare clutch kit and alternator as they both need replacing. Will get cambelt done after MOT 

Quick update on the 3rd party head unit situation. 

I have ran fresh cable from the door speakers, through the car to the dash (only front doors at the mo) to the head unit, used the existing ISO plug (soldered new speaker wires to the White, White/grey, etc speaker colours) and connected it up... Sounds good. 

This was the last post on Retro Rides from the previous owner...

Spoke too soon, it's dead. Battery started dying when I was driving yesterday, got it home and got it on the charger, did about 5 miles today and it died again. The battery light has always glowed dimly and now it's bright, and a multimeter on the battery when fully charged shows 12.6v with the engine off, and 12.8v running, so that's pretty conclusive, new alternator ordered.

My old saloon had one of those heated rear windows, it's like the ones modern cars use for the front windscreens with the tiny tiny heater elements in the glass. You could see them if you looked hard.

Mine had a crack across the bottom corner of the screen though so there was a little strip of the heaters that didn't work.

Maybe the rheostat is just lacking use, wind it up and down a few times and see if that helps, otherwise it might respond to a good dose of contact cleaner.

In other news I have a back bumper cover kit including side pieces for 740 saloon/estate. The black plastic bits that go over the iron girders. New old stock, never been used etc etc, open to offers - would need some sort of shitely collection epic.

DS - Rheo definitely faulty have tried contact cleaning and have trying 'abusing' it and nothing - FA, Dead, Nada.

Looks like a bypass is in order!

On a second note, Tyres.... Am I right in thinking fatter tyres on the front will cause heavier steering? I'm debating whether or not to put the original rims backs on with new tyres of the correct size. Currently sitting on 200/205's 75s.

Thanks

Does your car have PAS? I'd expect it would.

But yes, wider tyres increase the footprint in contact with the ground, so that means more resistance if you like against turning/moving them.

Your car should have 185/70/14 tyres, same as mine. These are perfectly fine for these cars.

What are the wheels on it now? Presumably from a more modern front drive ovlov? If that's the case is the offset and all that bollocks right? I'm not sure it's the same between front drive cars and the old rear drive ones.

Personally I'd go for original wheels and tyres but that's just me!

Does your car have PAS? I'd expect it would.

But yes, wider tyres increase the footprint in contact with the ground, so that means more resistance if you like against turning/moving them.

Your car should have 185/70/14 tyres, same as mine. These are perfectly fine for these cars.

What are the wheels on it now? Presumably from a more modern front drive ovlov? If that's the case is the offset and all that bollocks right? I'm not sure it's the same between front drive cars and the old rear drive ones.

Personally I'd go for original wheels and tyres but that's just me!

Currently its sitting on Volvo S80 alloys (with spacers), im sure they are 205 / 75 on the front and 200 / 75 on the back.

I think I may see about getting the original rims back on - which I have in the garage 

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure the offset is different, hence yours has spacers.

Best to stick originals back on then, Its going in for MOT soon so just weighing up the options. The current tyres are about knackered, but I dont want to renew them on those rims to want/have to change the wheels over. 2x of the original rims I have, have tyres on just about road legal. 2x rims are just rims so I can whack some on those for MOT. 

Spacers, how do those work? Are they just bolted on with/behind the wheels?