Now swapped small hatchback for my XM!

FakeConcern

I currently have two cars, a 3.0 V6 XM and a C4 VTS 180, Mrs Concern refuses to drive either of them for no good reason I can see, but there we are. She hasn’t had a car since her Mk1 Clio snapped its timing belt last October. Most of the time this isn’t a problem, but it would be better if she had a car of her own. Now she has decided she won’t get one until I get rid of the XM!

Well I do like the XM, but not as much as I expected to when I bought it in Feb 2015. When it comes to it, I much prefer the C4 in almost every way and now I have a new* one that needs fettling I have less time to spend on the XM which spends weeks at a time untouched. Which is a shame as it’s a really nice car!

I did try half heartedly to sell it on Car & Classic, but just got several people asking me more and more obscure questions about it and one chap who spent all morning driving, climbing over it, under it and consuming tea and biscuits before deciding he didn’t want it.

So my latest idea is to see if anyone would be interested in a swap for a small hatchback? Must be petrol , 5 door, preferably not the smallest engine, ten years or less old and Clio sort of size. Obviously I can’t predict what she will or will not like!

The XM is a Series 2 with the PRV 12 valve V6 with a timing chain and auto box making it pretty unusual (it’s hard not to fall into the “what an ad really means” speak here). The MOT is until Feb 2018 and currently on about 150000 miles.Obviously being an XM it has a few “issues”! The speedo sometimes jumps up to 55mph and sits there until it decides to function again. It was doing this permanently, but I half fixed it by re soldering the connections, presumably I need to do this again as they are all very close together I may not have got them all hot enough due to being wary of soldering the whole lot into one big lump! The sunroof (which doesn’t leak) has stopped winding all the way back, gets stuck and makes a creaking sound. It still pops up though (or did last time I tried!) Various other things work at some times and not at others. In most respects it is a very tidy looking car and nice to take on a long run (cruise does work!)

I don’t have much history with it which was a bit of an annoyance at the time. I bought it through Franklin Rugg of the well known Citroen wheeler dealer family, I already knew him as he had a C4 Loeb at the time! He was selling it and three other XMs on behalf of Geoff Cochrane who is apparently well known in Citroen circles.

Anyway if you have a suitable hatchback to swap, let me know!

post-19512-0-27307600-1506279498_thumb.jpg

How is your Left hand display? If it was an estate I would be super interested as a V6 XM estate is my current holy grail of choice.

The left hand display is ok, just a couple of pixels out (sometimes!). Are yours not good? I have seen a guide to fix them somewhere and it didn't look too difficult.

The left hand display is ok, just a couple of pixels out (sometimes!). Are yours not good? I have seen a guide to fix them somewhere and it didn't look too difficult.

Mine (petrol XM) was really bad but I fixed it using a replacement rubber ribbon - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-NAPPES-POUR-RÉFECTION-AFFICHEUR-GAUCHE-SANS-COLLAGE-CITROËN-XM-PSA-pièce/162658797308

Diesel XM is just as bad so I have had to order another ribbon to fix it too. I wish I could find a cheaper supplier of them though.Sorry for clogging up your sale thread, GLWS.

Panda 100hp? 57 plate . Not the finest example, hates me but has new brakes , tyres, water pump and timing belt , alternator , clutch hydraulics (slave and master ) and gear linkage.

Is going in for mot this week.

Hi Mr Cort16, sorry for the late reply, but I've been out and about and although I saw this on my phone the connection was poor and also I don't like taking my hands off the wheel for too long.

I showed Mrs Concern the Panda pictures and she quite likes it, but wasn't mad on the doiks in the door, front bumper and front wing, have you improved these at all since the photos were taken? The other problem is location, we live in East Sussex (as in as far South as you can go) and you appear to live in Scotland (as in as far North as you can go) and this is quite a long way. Now I know this to be true as only a few weeks ago I collected my new* C4 VTS from Inverness and it was (a long way).

Thank you for your interest.

How many portraits of the Queen would it require to purchase in the event of not having a smol hatchback?

What somewhatfoolish said up there as I also do not have a small hatchback.

I do have a Rialto though ....

Hi Mr Somewhatfoolish and Mr Frogchod.

First I know I didn't specify how many wheels Mrs Concern would like on her car, but it is more than three (sorry).

As to a price for the XM, I don't really know as some seem to go for really silly money (as in very cheap) and some seem to go for really silly money (as in dear), this was another reason I thought the swap would be a good idea!

Another advantage of this scheme is that Mrs Concern wouldn't find out how much I invested* on this after many glasses of red wine and watching Ronin on repeat.

You are welcome to PM me with the sort of price you are thinking of and I'll let you know if it seems ok or not. One member has already PM'd me and asked and when I let him know didn't reply so I assume my idea was higher than his haha.

post-19512-0-43353500-1506972682.txt

Hi Mr Cort16, sorry for the late reply, but I've been out and about and although I saw this on my phone the connection was poor and also I don't like taking my hands off the wheel for too long.

I showed Mrs Concern the Panda pictures and she quite likes it, but wasn't mad on the doiks in the door, front bumper and front wing, have you improved these at all since the photos were taken? The other problem is location, we live in East Sussex (as in as far South as you can go) and you appear to live in Scotland (as in as far North as you can go) and this is quite a long way. Now I know this to be true as only a few weeks ago I collected my new* C4 VTS from Inverness and it was (a long way).

Thank you for your interest.

Ah, that is probably too far away. I've had the door fixed but the other bits remain.

Ah, that is probably too far away. I've had the door fixed but the other bits remain.

On the other hand, maybe something could be arranged if you are still interested as it was mainly the door she didn't like the look of.

Two ideas, first we have friends who live in Sheffield which is practically half way from Sussex to Glasgow and we happen to be staying with them in a week or so and could go on from there.

Secondly, we have been toying with visiting some of the architecture of Charles Rennie Mackintosh (which we last did in about 1988), most of which is near Glasgow. I have assumed you live near Glasgow from the MOT of the Panda.

When I picked up the C4 VTS from Inverness, Mrs Concern would have quite like to come as well, but she hates flying.

Spec: Swing.  pretty basic but you do get a manual sunroof, sparkly paint and Mike installed a brand new cigar lighter so there is a power point.  There's also a radio.  That's about it.

Location: TS17, Stockton-on-Tees.  BUT, I did drive it home from London in one go without issue and it's had even more love since then.  I can't remember if it's got an MoT on currently but it passed the last two with clean sheets.