Ex Cavcraft Rover 420 (T series not K series) available (probably)

dieselnutjob

Quick thread update for those paying attention, yes the new coolant cap sorted it and it made it the 4 hours home to North Devon with absolutely zero issues, the previous cap it had fitted the header tank's threads but the rubber seal was completely wrong so as soon as the system got up to pressure it would just come straight out.  I've done about 200 miles with the 'correct' cap fitted and it has behaved perfectly.

Huge thanks to dieselnutjob for organising this and being so helpful with diagnostics and providing tea and advice.  The car is ace and I intend to look after it.

post-5492-0-42731600-1507311009.jpg

post-5492-0-98422700-1507310825.jpg

The broken wipers turned out to be a stripped gear in the motor, not really fixable but a good used motor and linkage set is en route for not very much £.  I've ordered a cheap replacement aerial for the one that's snapped off and will get a replacement door handle for the one that has been pulled out of the door as the bolt mounting is broken - I might have one more go at mending it with some glue first though, just reassembling it didn't work as it immediately pulled off again.

The droopy headlining's been reattached with some upholstery glue so it looks a lot better but in the fullness of time I intend to pull the headlining out completely, remove all the nasty perished foam backing which has gone to powder and re-line it properly.  Ditto for the door cards.

Overall, it drives really well, plenty of power and very, very comfortable as expected, I am very pleased with it.

Once I've fitted the new wiper mechanism, which if it's as easy as removal was, will take minutes, there's just a few items left on the agenda:

Full service - air filter is grimey, oil isn't too bad but is at least 500ml overfilled!  Might benefit from new plugs and leads.

New rear silencer - it's quite loud and rattley, an inspection with a torch shows the insides have rotted out and it is basically a straight-through pipe full of rusted detritus now.

Coolant flush - it's a little murky and diluted, will benefit from a full flush through and a new stat as it doesn't quite get up to full operating temperature.

New rocker cover gasket - unsurprisingly for a T-Series, it's leaking quite a lot.  

Remove and clean coil pack - idle was quite lumpy, found the coil pack and leads absolutely caked in oil from the rocker gasket leak.  Removed each lead and cleaned as best I could which improved the idle considerably but it needs to come off for a proper clean.

New front brake discs - no rush on this but they are a tad warped, brakes will get a full inspection when I get time

Nothing urgent there at all, otherwise it'll get a good wash and polish and a good cleanup inside at some point and plenty of use.  I'm thinking this one might stay for a little while yet.

I thought that this one should be saved because the K series ones are disappearing so fast.

The diesels are tougher but I see them being at risk from diesel scrapage schemes.

So that leaves the few T series ones like this which actually stand a hope of surviving long enough to make it to card carrying classic status one day.

I think it looks ace with the rear spoiler and minilite wheels, sporty without being boy racer.

I do like the styling on these.

I didn't realise but having skimmed a couple of articles online it seems the HHR 400 is considered something of a failure, it never achieved the sales figures intended for it and car magazines gave it lacklustre reviews, probably not helped by Rover overpricing it and trying to make it compete with Mondeos and Passats, which it can't match on size or spec.

There certainly don't seem to be many left now but I do think they're an underrated car, yes it feels a bit old fashioned compared to a Focus or mk4 Astra but they're a pleasant thing to drive and quite characterful in their own way.

Great news that the expansion cap fix worked - people often scream OMGHGF on anything MGR related without thinking about all the things it might actually be, hence my overwhelming desire to visit each and every one of these so-called HGF failures when they turn up on bumtree and fleabay for peanuts (I never do tho').

Dieselnutjob did a great job of describing the set up so sensible people could work out what the actual problem was.

Sounds a great buy, well done Phil