Honda 250 Super ( wet ) dream

twosmoke300

I don't know when the rules about riding 125s changed, but the cut off date for grandfather rights to 7.5 tonners and trailers was 31st December 1996. I should know, I turned 17 in June '96 but didn't get round to taking my car test till Feb '97 (ironically, because I thought it was more important to beat the cut off date for the bike Category A2 licence).

Fair do`s, I thought they did it all at the same time. 

I passed in 1990, so I`ve got a fair selection to chose from (& was even able to drive ropey, intergalactic mileage mid-80`s 7.5 tonner Ford Cargo`s in the mid-90`s as a job)

post-3844-0-23195000-1510172256_thumb.jpg

Here's mine:

post-20573-0-57091600-1510254829_thumb.png

post-20573-0-52028400-1510254847_thumb.png

So, having passed bike, car, bus and lorry tests I can legally drive a 40 ton tipper or a 50' double deck triple axle coach, but I can't tow a caravan with my car  :roll: . I wouldn't mind being able to tow a caravan (or a car trailer) as it happens, but I might as well go the whole hog and try for an artic lorry licence, which would upgrade all the rest of them.

I have a feeling when they messed about previously and downgraded you to 7.5t from 10.5t? if you were using it at the time (or were likely to) you wrote to the DVLA and you kept that entitlement

That wouldn't surprise me at all. When they changed the rules so that passing your Cat C or Cat D test in an automatic got you a manual licence as long as you had a manual car licence, those of us with automatic only licences for the higher categories were able to send our licences in to get them upgraded- which I did, so that I could drive manual minibuses (that's why my category D start date is September 2015, when I actually passed in August 2006). I then went on to pass my lorry test in a manual which would have upgraded my bus licence anyway, so I no longer feel like I cheated ;) .