SLK 320

RichardK

Sometimes, something is not only worth so little it's barely worth the time, but the experience of it just makes it worse.

This is now mentally written off as worthless, and as such, whatever I choose to do with it there's nothing to lose. It has a value, I guess, but who'd want it?

Good bits:

• 94,000 miles, pulls well. Very well.
  • MoT April 2018
  • Leather electric seats, which work sometimes.
  • Roof works.
  • Two keys, central locking stuff works.
  • Starts, stops, goes around corners.
  • Just put new airfilters in.
  • Wheels look okay.

Bad bits:

• Some irritating bits of damage like a broken speaker grille on the door
  • Giffer-style repairs on the corner of the roof near the rear window - it won't be particularly bad, but they get surface rust there and someone's made a pig's ear of painting it.
  • Lacquer/paint damage on boot and bonnet, paint rubbed through to primer on a patch of the boot.
  • Front wings no longer have bumper mount flanges attached.
  • It's got a fuel leak/smell from around the pump/filter area.
  • Little bits of rust breaking out, but looks solid on inner wings/sills (plastic covers, but a jacking pad was missing so I had a poke about)/chassis rails/spring perches.
  • Underneath there's surface rust on most things that weren't painted, and some things that were. The bolt-on tension rods at the rear are particularly manky, one having rusted right through.
  • Gearbox is weird. Likes to hang on to 4th in S mode, but will do all 5 gears fine in W mode. I have an ATF filter and pan gasket ready for it, but the CBA is strong.

Things that are just comedic:
Shit stereo
Wheels are fused to the hubs - and I'm not exactly weak.

Work means I really don't have the time to piss about with it, but if I get more money in I'll probably make some half-arsed attempt to improve it. It's now SORN so won't be going anywhere in a rush.

Looking at your pictures above, Have you removed the engine cover? As it appears to be missing in the picture.

These engines are brilliant.

Agree with Cavcraft......218 BHP from the 3.2 V6 in standard tune. & as said, Brilliant Engines These.

With regards to the gearbox, It is possible that the gearbox conductor plate is starting to fail (if it has the 722.6 5 Speed Auto fitted, which being a 3.2 V6, I would say it has)

Not an "OMG YOU NEED A NEW GEARBOX M9" scenario. It is a fairly common issue on Mercedes of this vintage as these get older.

You can youtube Mercedes 722.6 transmission Conductor plate replacement & there are videos of how to replace it etc.

Once done, it will change gears like a hot knife through butter.....Smooth as fuck.

cheap at the price.  

These will go up in value in future,& with it being a 3.2 V6, There are more 230K's than 320's knocking about.....Buy now whilst cheap people.

Looking at your pictures above, Have you removed the engine cover? As it appears to be missing in the picture.

Agree with Cavcraft......218 BHP from the 3.2 V6 in standard tune. & as said, Brilliant Engines These.

With regards to the gearbox, It is possible that the gearbox conductor plate is starting to fail (if it has the 722.6 5 Speed Auto fitted, which being a 3.2 V6, I would say it has)

Engine cover was removed to fit new air filters (and have a poke about). It hasn't been removed forever, that would make it rather interesting to drive with MAF open to the elements...

Yes, it's a 722.6, yes, I know about conductor plates, pin bushings and so forth - I am not sure it needs a conductor plate as I haven't checked the levels yet, but as it's a 2000, it lacks a TC drain so is harder to do a full fluid change on; my approach was to change what I can and vitally, the filter, and check condition of fluid and levels, and see how it goes. But as I needed the insurance policy for the Twingo, I can't now do that - at least not meaningfully - so I'm happy to go ahead with the partial change and level check, but it may or may not play up.

The manual override works, and W mode works. Conductor plate may be needed, but that's one reason why I'm like "cheap, please, just buy it". When I got it, I knew the box might need attention - it's the rest of it that came as a surprise when I got it on the lift to investigate the fuel leak.

The V6 is much, much nicer than the 2.3. It's also a little better on fuel, remarkably, for the same speeds. I would definitely have a really nice V6 one over a 230K if starting over - but because I've had my yellow one for almost six years, I'm reluctant to part with it! It's not even MoTd at the moment, which indicates how chaotic life is.

I know it isn't a colour, but Silver is entirely acceptable on one of these.

That M112 engine is pretty much bombproof, too, although replacing twelve spark plugs is a bit of a boring job.

Lovely car, though, and the best of the SLKs - e.g, the most like a miniature SL.

GLWS

I'm guessing I should start a thread about this. See elsewhere. Richard suffers from the same thing as I do, but I have arrived at a certain point sooner.

I'm done with old cars.

I'm sick of them. I'm sick of the never ending drama, problems, rust, stuff to fix. The M reg 520i I just fixed up and saved (never ever save cars) cost me hours if my life I'll never get back. I sold it for what it owed me so I haven't lost any money but there again, I almost never do. I always break even or make a profit. But this car was just a chore. Finding panels, getting them painted, putting it together just to end up with a car owing me over a grand that I don't really have much interest for.  I'm not enjoying this. Why the fuck did I do it? Will I ever learn?

I quite fancy a decent modern car, up to ten years old and I'm thinking a 2007/8 325i or 330i Coupe. Yes, it might go wrong. So I'll just take it somewhere and get it fixed like normal people do. Discs and pads, oil changes etc. Yes. Clutch replacement? FRO. To have a nice car owing you 3 grand or so is no biggie and there are times when you just want to have a nice, smart modern that goes well, looks nice etc.

Back to old cars and this 520i. Having fixed it, MOT'd it etc I realised I don't want to own this. Then the horrible realisation dawns that you have to sell it and there are few things I despise more than selling cars and having to deal with people, too many of whom are utter wankers. I was so lucky that just as I was selling, someone I know was buying and a deal was done very swiftly and easily. That sense of relief of a sold car fucking off up the road and out of your life is like a drug and it's certainly as nice as having a wedge of twenties.

So, I'm done with it.

I have my 7 Series that I've had for centuries (2003) and which has emotional attachment. We've had some epic trips together and it owes me nothing.

I have my 318Ti track slag that owes me about 200 quid that I can call upon whenever there's a track day I want to do. It's going nowhere.

My old 3 Series Touring is a useful old bus and is worth more than that 4-500 quid I might get for it. That is staying ad infinitum.

And next year's 'nice' car  purchase, maybe. 

But that's it. There may well be further shitters but bought strictly on the basis that they will be bargainoulsy cheap (sub 500 quid) and very easily disposed of via the medium of a beavertail on the way to EMR to be shredded - after they've been stripped of saleable bits in order to make a profit. But even this scenario has very little appeal. There's nothing I actually want to own, I'm happy with what I have.

I know it isn't a colour, but Silver is entirely acceptable on one of these.

That M112 engine is pretty much bombproof, too, although replacing twelve spark plugs is a bit of a boring job.

Lovely car, though, and the best of the SLKs - e.g, the most like a miniature SL.

GLWS

I think it's had plugs recently. They're not particularly hard to get to, just tedious.

Slightly off topic but for RichardK and the Rev: Look into taking Niacin (Vit b3) in high doses (like 500mg)

There is plenty online/youtube about it and its benefits and effects with regards to depression and anxiety. 

It's worked wonders for me anyway. 

GLWS

Literally swamped with enquiries for this after putting it on FB, from asking if I’d like a bicycle as a swap, to £300 to “take a chance” (told them they can have the wheels and interior for that - they asked how much for the seats ????)...

No acually useful offers though.

Breaking it seems a little extreme, it’s a working car! If I hadn’t leased a new thing I’d be driving it about happily!

Nothing is too good to break, It's all about the dollars.

I have an MOT'd 2002 325Ti Compact that I had an obligation to buy (300 quid). It's a historied 98'000 miles car in that funky metallic green yellow.

Do the bits that need doing and put up with time wasters at £995?

Fuck that, it's getting stripped to a shell and weighed in next week. All part of the decluttering process that feels so good. 

And I’m remembering this experience next time I do a deal with too much trust. I’m losing £1200 essentially and was convinced that this was a fair deal on a car which was fundamenally okay but with scruffy paint. Right now I CBA dealing with even the fuel dripping - I’m working most days and it’s a big shock to the system to commute daily!

I've kept quiet until now Richard, but your constant, (not so) thinly veiled digs at me on here about how you've been ripped off and lied to are, quite frankly, wearing a bit thin.

I'm not going to lower myself to a 'tit for tat' exchange about how mine is worth X and yours is only worth Y because of a bit of non structural surface corrosion underneath. It's a 17 year old Mercedes for christ's sake. However, I do take exception at being accused of getting 'bent' MOTs and passing on rot boxes at three months old to cover my arse and that of my local MOT man.

God only knows why you didn't see fit to pick up the phone and call me if you weren't happy about the deal afterwards rather than resort to bitching on a public forum.

As you consider the S500 to be worth £5k with a bit of restoration, then please, bring the car back up and take this one back with my blessing. I'm not in the business of ripping anyone off and I'll be more than happy to take the 320SLK back as I'm quite aware of its condition and value throughout.

I'm just heading out now for the evening but feel free to give me a call tomorrow to sort out when you're coming up. You have my number.

All the best,

Neil

I've kept quiet until now Richard, but your constant, (not so) thinly veiled digs at me on here about how you've been ripped off and lied to are, quite frankly, wearing a bit thin.

I'm not going to lower myself to a 'tit for tat' exchange about how mine is worth X and yours is only worth Y because of a bit of non structural surface corrosion underneath. It's a 17 year old Mercedes for christ's sake. However, I do take exception at being accused of getting 'bent' MOTs and passing on rot boxes at three months old to cover my arse and that of my local MOT man.

God only knows why you didn't see fit to pick up the phone and call me if you weren't happy about the deal afterwards rather than resort to bitching on a public forum.

As you consider the S500 to be worth £5k with a bit of restoration, then please, bring the car back up and take this one back with my blessing. I'm not in the business of ripping anyone off and I'll be more than happy to take the 320SLK back as I'm quite aware of its condition and value throughout.

I'm just heading out now for the evening but feel free to give me a call tomorrow to sort out when you're coming up. You have my number.

All the best,
Neil

Hadn't made a point of naming you, going after an argument, or particularly going into any such comments - the observation on MoT date/time of sale was just that, and in a private message at that unless I mentioned in in passing elsewhere.

I didn't say anything because a: if I treat something as a trade deal, that's where it ends, and b: felt that describing this car as clean, and worth a direct exchange for the SEC (320 SLKs for £1500-2K being plentiful on eBay, retail, at the time), was not honest. Since a: applies, and b: just makes me not want anything to do with people, I wasn't going to add more stress/drama to the already substantial amounts ongoing in my life at that time.

All I've mentioned is a picture of the tension rods rotted through and areas like the badly filled rear window, and my own stupidity in trusting a description of a car as being clean but for lacquer damage on the bonnet & boot.

Just to be clear: "as I'm quite aware of its condition and value throughout." - when the above description of the car's condition is fact, not opinion - simply justifies my feeling that telling me the car was "clean" and worth £2K retail was simply not accurate. If the condition was known, I'd expect to be told it - like I'm telling potential buyers in the way I've described it.

One of the great things about AS is that we know old cars wear out and are shit; you're not going to lose a sale by calling a spade a spade, if the spade is actually worth the deal.

I'd assumed the roof repairs were done before you got it and the only interaction you'd had with it was trying to improve the paintwork, which I'd already accepted as being an aspect of the car's condition and included the Becker radio kit for the respray work.

I don't want the SEC back, obviously, because my reasons for getting rid of it haven't altered - I don't suddenly have the resources or time to do it justice. I'm not asking anything of you regarding this.

I just regret trusting a car being described as fundamentally clean, when my own instinct is to point out the faults. Of which the fuel leak developed later, but ensured I saw underneath it properly.

TBH, I wanted this thing gone, then to forget my own poor judgement on the whole deal, and had no intention of mentioning anything other than a vague "fucking hell I need to be less trusting and more diligent"; your own conscience, if clear, can just laugh at my apparent ineptitude at buying cars even after 25 years of it, and it'd be forgotten.

Sorry, would've been forgotten. This exchange kinda alters that.