Theoreticals: recommend me a quirky supermini

M'coli

Come to think of it the Visa is virtually worthless for some reason so could be an OK call.

And if you feel daft you can just get a C15 instead.

Suzuki_Alto_front_20080116.jpg

I quite like this generation of Alto. AltoWorks are both extremely rare, and £££. Probably because Gran Turismo.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the WagonR/Vauxhall Agila.

A Polo Harlequin is quirky, in a sense...

Seat Marbellas are just Pandas so that's a no.

Nuova Panda might be a thought? FPB7 and Strangeangel have experience IIRC. 

If you want complete stupidity try and find a Pajero Jr.

I had one of these (650cc turbo, conventional automatic) for 83,000 miles.  Rear engine, fractionally shorter than a Citroen C1 but much more room inside i.e. it's genuinely capable of seating 4 adults and rear seat passengers with legs fit in easily.  Luggage space isn't bad either.  It'll do 85mph flat out and is happy to cruise flat out on motorways. Mine averaged 45mpg.  The Mitsubishi i was a limited but official UK import.

That's fucking hideous. It looks like a Citroen fucking Xsara fucking Picasso in its pupal stage. Do not like.

That's fucking hideous. It looks like a Citroen fucking Xsara fucking Picasso in its pupal stage. Do not like.

When inside, it's the practicality which impresses.  Before I  bought it I tried many more conventional looking superminis, all of which disappointed by the way they drove, and had poor visibility and useless back seats.  The 'i' is extremely well thought out and mine was utterly reliable until about 83,000 miles when the turbo broke, taking the waste gate with it.  Someone rescued it after I signed it off for possible scrap and it is still on the road.  Style is nice to have but does not necessarily provide enjoyable ownership unless you merely collect cars to look at. 

When inside, it's the practicality which impresses.  Before I  bought it I tried many more conventional looking superminis, all of which disappointed by the way they drove, and had poor visibility and useless back seats.  The 'i' is extremely well thought out and mine was utterly reliable until about 83,000 miles when the turbo broke, taking the waste gate with it.  Someone rescued it after I signed it off for possible scrap and it is still on the road.  Style is nice to have but does not necessarily provide enjoyable ownership unless you merely collect cars to look at. 

It's only the Picasso resemblance that put me off :-)

It drawback of the 107 around town is typical modern car massive pillars and resulting crap visibility. Especially on roundabouts where the windscreen pillar is capable of hiding a small country.

Otherwise cracking little cars - the amount of room inside is uncanny given how big they're not outside. Plus they're equipped with decent modern day safety kit if someone does hit you.

Unusually not a fully multiplexed electrical system either and an actual throttle pedal attached with a cable rather than drive by wire.

AAAAHHHHH! So that why I've never attracted many members of the opposite sex. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BLOODY SIMCA!!

Life's lessons, eh?

Great advert though. Doubt something like this would be allowed nowadays. Thank you 3rd wave feminism.

Hahahhaaaaaaa

Firstly, not sure you'd want to be labelled as someone who goes out to attract schoolgirls.

Secondly, I love the way everyone on the bus has been told to look admiringly at the Simca, but there's one lass more intent on eating her packed lunch before even getting to school.

Not a Clubman estate, thus Ah'm oot.

Whizzkid would be awesome - I'd love to back-to-back compare it to the Imp!

Not quirky but I like my girlfriend's Mk2 Clio Campus DCi.

6-700 miles on a (small) tank of fuel, it has the ride and handling qualities you'd expect of a small 90s French car, one of the last French superminis with independent rear suspension and basically the same underneath as a Mk1 Clio, cheap parts, hardy engine and easy to work on.

Subaru Rex.