Theoreticals: recommend me a quirky supermini

M'coli

My mark 3 Fiesta. You may say its not quirky, but it has an ancient OHV engine, window winders that drop off and extra drivers ventilation where the door has been bent in the past from a break in. It does have nearly a full MOT and a new exhaust and is probably about to have an alternator! It drives nicely too!

Post-2003 Daihatsu Charade, they seem a bit quirky, their roly poly handling was attacked by the Troy Queefs of modern motoring magazines, OMG NOT NURBURGERING.

I like them, I'm surprised one hasn't been on the collective Autoshite fleet yet.

I'm sure I'll remedy that at some point. They have a lot to recommend them, being the same length as a Ford KA but with a longer cabin than a SAAB 900, along with the use of the old bulletproof E-series engine and, unusually for a Daihatsu, galvanised steel for the shell and actual rustproofing materials applied underneath.

Should have had one instead of the Sirion but people wanted actual money for them at the time. Then I ended up spending enough for two Charades on welding the Sirion. You can see why I'd never get into investment banking.

Seconding the Cappuccino suggestion.

Miss mine so much...best city car I've ever had I reckon too.

...in fact it was astonishingly competent at everything I threw at it, including snow!

Only downside was that it was a bit loud on the motorway after a couple of hours - mine did have a big exhaust on though which won't have helped that.

I'm sure I'll remedy that at some point. They have a lot to recommend them, being the same length as a Ford KA but with a longer cabin than a SAAB 900, along with the use of the old bulletproof E-series engine and, unusually for a Daihatsu, galvanised steel for the shell and actual rustproofing materials applied underneath.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIHATSU-CHARADE-No-reserve-30-Tax-Spares-or-Repairs-/292261186439

Refusal Notices

• Offside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded suspension mount area/chassis (2.4.a.3)
  • Offside rear suspension spring mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.a.3)
  • Offside rear seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded chassis (5.2.6)
  • Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive (7.3.d.4)
  • Exhaust emissions lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.d.3)
  • Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.d.3)
Advisory Notices

• Exhaust emits blue smoke during acceleration (7.3.a.2c)

Oh. :-(

I had one of these (650cc turbo, conventional automatic) for 83,000 miles.  Rear engine, fractionally shorter than a Citroen C1 but much more room inside i.e. it's genuinely capable of seating 4 adults and rear seat passengers with legs fit in easily.  Luggage space isn't bad either.  It'll do 85mph flat out and is happy to cruise flat out on motorways. Mine averaged 45mpg.  The Mitsubishi i was a limited but official UK import.

post-18170-0-05663500-1506102148_thumb.jpg

Ah, that's not what I expected. Although I suppose even rustproofed poor quality metal not designed for salty, damp winters will eventually suffer rust taking hold. At 14 years old it's doing well by the standard of its older counterparts. 

Corrosion aside, it's not bad for a cheap old city car. Emissions will be the lambda sensors, which need changing at least every 45,000 miles (but don't throw on the engine management light until they're completely fucked, so are usually never changed by those who don't know). The blue smoke issue will gummed up oil control rings, caused by garages inserting the 10W40 Daihatsu recommended rather than the much thinner stuff Daihatsu state should only be used in hot climates, an oil change usually sorts it.

Cappos rot like fuck.

Do something a fella I know did and put an Alfa twin cam in a Reliant Rebel.

Yes...yes they do. I sold mine on when we did a pre MOT check on it and discovered that the only thing stopping the driver's seat falling through the floor was the fuel lines.

Credit to the guy I sold it to, he completely rebuilt both sills and welded in pretty much an entire new floorpan.

Would still buy another one, just such epic fun to drive. Especially on a good twisty road where the thing will virtually steer by telepathy. Just gutted I never got to a track day with it. Really fancied belting that around Knockhill.

Just gutted I never got to a track day with it. Really fancied belting that around Knockhill.

There was a Cappucino at Marham a few years back.  Not an ideal track for one of those - he was basically foot to the floor all the way round, leaving other stuff for dead through the chicanes but then sitting on the 86mph limiter all the way up the straight while everything else (except the Smart car) came whizzing past.