Hand held obd2 tools

Mr A Lawrence

Depends what you want to do with it. A generic reader will read generic codes. As Bren says though if you get any manufacturer-specific codes a generic reader won't see them.

I have a £20 generic code reader, it couldn't see any of the lock module codes on my Saab, I needed to borrow Lisbon_Road's OpCom to handle those. It also couldn't see what was wrong with my neighbour's R53 Mini when it lit its brake and ABS warning lights a year or so ago.

It will however clear EML and other generic codes from more or less anything.

I've got one of these. From memory it was about £20, I've used it on BMW, Ford, PSA, VAG and Vauxhall of varying ages without issues and have been able to clear the codes on all of them. As said before though, these have all been generic codes (P0401 and the like) and it won't display any manufacturer specific codes. But its a bloody useful bit of kit for not a lot of cash. I found mine just by typing 'Autel Maxiscan' into Google.

-font-b-Autel-b-font-font-b-Maxiscan-b-f

This is the one I have

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U581-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-CAN-OBD-OBD2-EOBD-Scan-Tool-Engine-Fault-Code-Reader-/172689018882?hash=item2835115002

Works well enough.

However, as above I'd go for a DS150e with Delphi software - pretty much Dealership level.

Keep it locked up and don't loan it out. Mine was stolen :(

You can get the DS150 for your budget off AliExpress as well, providing you don't mind waiting a few weeks for it to turn up - this is the one I bought:

http://s.aliexpress.com/fyYJfYZR

Works fine, once I'd sorted some driver issues. That does assume you have an old laptop lying about to use it with though, I'd only use it with one you're happy to never connect to the internet.