1981 Suzuki SC100 GX "Whizzkid" - It's time for it to move on to pastures new :( - More foto's added

Heidel_Kakao

post-82-0-23253200-1505739757_thumb.jpg

This will be a fairly rambling for sale thread so apologies in advance.

Car is located at a Birmingham B23 postcode for any interested parties.

It is finally time for me to put the SC100 up for sale, I became resigned quite a while ago to the fact that I will never have the motivation to get it back on the road but kept putting off advertising it even though I had pretty much sold it in my mind.

An SC100 almost became a dream car for me to own once I became aware they existed. My very first car was a 1981 Suzuki SJ410 which shares the same engine.

I acquired it on 22-09-2010 off Ebay for £1200, in a few days I will have owned it for seven years. When purchased it was a runner with an MOT but I don't think it had been used much. I used it a fair bit initially and had to work through a few issues. I had to have the brake calipers refurbished professionally by BIGG RED as they were sticky and it also now has Goodridge braided hoses, I had the radiator recored, the wheels were refurbished and probably other stuff.

When I was out and about in it I got attention like nothing else I have ever owned, people find it hard to believe how small it is even though it's six inches longer than Mini. Everyone either wanted to buy it or know more about it, the only thing I have owned that came close in terms of drawing attention was my Allegro.

post-82-0-43147300-1505739723_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken within a few weeks of purchase on a trip to the seaside at Barmouth, you can tell it was nearly 7 years ago as I still just about fit in my wetsuit and have short hair. The bull bars which are an original dealer fit accessory make an ok seat and are handy for pushing it with too. Lots of people hate the look of the bullbars but I really like them.

I realised once I had a proper poke around that it was not as solid a car as I had originally thought. I paid a guy £500 to fix the MOT failure rust on it but they did a pretty rubbish job which left me a bit disillusioned, I would recommend the buyer cutting it all out and doing a proper job if you have the skills to do so.

It developed an engine issue which is why I took it off the road originally, it just wouldn't run. I suspect ignition, or timing but I could be wrong. I started rebuilding a spare engine I have for it but predictably ran out of mojo before I finished so that is still in pieces but will come with the car.

When it comes to selling price I would like to get at least £1000 for it. Feel free to tell me if that is stupidly high or even if I am underpricing it. There are so few of these things around that I found it hard to judge how much they are worth. They are a pretty cult car but rarity does not always translate to being valuable which I understand.

I think it's still a viable car for someone who has the skills to get it back on the road. Or just wait four years and it won't even need an MOT which I half heartedly though about doing myself but I think I would rather see it restored to it's former glory and let someone else get some enjoyment out of it.

I have actually had both my greyhounds in at at the same time which was hilarious but it's such an impractical car that I would probably hardly use it nowadays even if it were on the road.

The most recent MOT expired March 2015 so it has not been on the road for a while now.

I have a few more recent pictures that I will add to the thread later as I am at work at the moment. I will also get a lot more detailed photo's this weekend hopefully. I am going to add some more old photos and stuff as well because I would like for this thread to be a tribute and place to store my memories of ownership for posterity. I will miss this little thing once it goes to a new owner :(

My mother has not been bugging me about getting rid of it so much recently but I did promise that it would be gone by the end of the year. I think it will need a trailer to collect it and probably a van or large estate as tow car because it comes with a good amount of spares including front and rear screens, exhaust, spare engine in pieces and a lot of other bits as the guy I got it from had broken a spares car.

SC100's have gotten some quite good press in recent years.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-suzuki-whizzkid-is-the-coolest-rwd-unicorn-ive-ever-driven/

http://jalopnik.com/a-car-you-should-know-the-suzuki-whizzkid-1686159850

Also one used to appear in Classic & Sports Car as one of the contributors owns/owned one and used to update fairly often how he was getting on with it.

post-82-0-94442200-1505747719_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-09719800-1505747769_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-09968700-1505747807_thumb.jpg

Where's Dave_Station gone? Right up his street this.

He had one before IIRC, blue it was.

attachicon.gifsuzuki pic.JPG

Ace car. I have this one coming my way hopefully when the original lady gives it up. Bull bar too.  :)  Glws etc etc

Nice! Bull bars are for winners. You could get ones for the rear too but they seem much rarer.

Have you any better pics of it in its recent state?? ☺️

Just added a few more & will be putting up a ton more hopefully this weekend. I may even wash it too!

I had a silver one as my first car, then a black one that I sold 23 years ago to pay for an engagement ring.... Would love another but I know how they rust- still have a pair of rear trailing arms on back order from 1993.. Will they ever turn up?

In 1989, my wife's sister gave her a blue "Flying ZIT", which was very very rusty above the engine. And it Burnt oil like a 2 stroke.

It had a white Vinyl interior.  I remember almost passing out when servicing it on a hot summers day, because you had to change the spark plugs from the back seat.

We had an issue whilst on holiday near Snowdon, in that it started leaking coolant from a short hose at the front. We taped it up and eventually ended up on Ynys Mon at a Suzuki garage (at the top of the hill above Menai Bridge (about 300 yards from where my sister now lives)

They told us they could get the hose for £67 (in 1989) and it would take 8 weeks.  It was at this point that I began to hate the welsh generally.

We then went to an old style motor factors in bangor, (at which point I realised not all the welsh are bad) and we were allowed to root around there basement where a pipe off a morris 1000 was found and purchased along with some hose clips. Then off to b&q to buy some copper pipe, and a hack saw. and the back to the camp site, where a dry stone wall provided flat stone to act as axle stands, before effecting a permanent repair for about £6.70.

Back in Birmingham about a month later the gearbox destroyed itself and we got £35 scrap. How I regret that we didn't just put it away for 20+ years.

I didn't even know these things existed. Reading the title I thought it was a motorbike.

If I had the money available, welding skills and it was possible to get any sort of part for it, I'd be right over it.

You couldn't get the parts when they were new, but it revs like a motorbike. And sounds like a sewing machine at 85 mph.

I still have the scald marks on my left thigh when the main front to rear coolant hose burst on the M90 at 60MPH- drenched in boiling coolant whilst trying to make the hard shoulder with the windows all steamed up whilst screaming in pain... Same engine was in the Rascal van so mechanicals were easy to get,and easy to tune.. Janspeed did a turbo version, one on ebay last week with a ZZR1100 motor :) I used to come down on many mornings to find mine turned 90 degrees in the drive by my mates on the way home from the pub... hilarious- the first time.

Also learned the fine art of what is now called "driftin" at 17. sideways everywhere ..

Love these........ only ever driven one once - and it was hilarious. One of those on my 'must have one day' list.

No idea on price at the moment (but I can 'take it off your hands etc.. etc...) as a lot seem to be restored already or as above - converted one way or another.

I'm watching - closely! Logistics be damned!

edit - that being the Brierley Hill near Halesowen? Just to confirm.....

Good luck with the selling of this go cart; avoid Evilbay...prior to my involvement with a green Saab the 'Whizzkid' was a car I had considered for weldage and general restoration. I was unaware that they were available with the 2 cylinder motor, also that LJK Setright was an owner and advocate of the diminutive Suzuki, at least according to Wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...

Current condition photodump.

post-82-0-33968500-1507377998_thumb.jpg

The brake fluid inspection hole cover is present and correct, I can tell everyone was worried about that.

post-82-0-48866900-1507378088_thumb.jpg

As is the hole it covers.

post-82-0-23233600-1507378136_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-35186300-1507378165_thumb.jpg

Passenger side footwell.

post-82-0-30568900-1507378218_thumb.jpg

Drivers side footwell

post-82-0-32072500-1507378273_thumb.jpg

Passenger side

post-82-0-65890700-1507378307_thumb.jpg

Drivers side

post-82-0-01931600-1507378348_thumb.jpg

Drivers side

post-82-0-16289900-1507378404_thumb.jpg

Genuine sports wheel, I replaced the bolts with Torx as it's all I had at the time.

post-82-0-15863000-1507378479_thumb.jpg

Drivers side rear arch in good condition

post-82-0-57802600-1507378528_thumb.jpg

Passenger side rear arch very crusty. I used gaffer tape on it for the last MOT

post-82-0-37844200-1507378619_thumb.jpg

Windscreen surround

post-82-0-89953300-1507378664_thumb.jpg

Passenger side

post-82-0-91963400-1507378699_thumb.jpg

Drivers side

post-82-0-31408000-1507378735_thumb.jpg

I had a spare dizzy converted to electronic ignition

post-82-0-31058000-1507378820_thumb.jpg

Bonnet

post-82-0-63921900-1507378874_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-52593000-1507378904_thumb.jpg

12" Allycat alloy wheels ( one of my favourite wheel designs) with Yokohama A539 tyres

post-82-0-07697000-1507379010_thumb.jpg

I gave it a once over with the jetwash and it didn't dissolve, going to need new wiper blades though

post-82-0-17808700-1507379083_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-77717400-1507379103_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...