To Keep or to sell? 316i compact with pics

kinkersaab

I have stumbled and bought a N plate 316i compact in boston green. Its a one lady owned, supplied by john clark BMW in Aberdeen, It has a full BMW service history and had been mot;d and serviced by then since new. The car has now done 63000.  Its total povo spec, with the addition of leather and a sunroof.

Internally its as new, bodily, its very honest, with rear arches offering due to trapped crap.  I have flap wheeled blisters off, cure rust, then touched up to save worsening. :)

Whilst I know it will never be desirable, it is becoming rare, should I squeeze it in a shed and forget for a few years and then bring it out and enjoy its rareness,  or punt it on and let someone else use it as a car?  ..I don't suppose it will attract anyone other than someone who will use and abuse it... that seems a shame. 

I am mid spruce, so will add some pics for your pleasure soon...and to please Hendry, it has matching dealer plates and sticker.. :)

I can't see it appreciating any discernible amount at all, either use it or sell it, putting it away will probably just hasten its demise.

That's my thoughts too. While it has it fans as everything has and is now a  rare sight in any form on the road, the E36 is a bit unloved (esp the compact) unless it's one of the sporty ones or wears the sacred 'M' badge and is never going to be worth a great deal in the near future.

That said, the one you have sounds like a nice, well preserved example (can I say 'Survivor car'?) that will quite easily find a face when you sell it on as such examples of many older cars are always difficult to find once they get past the 8-10 year old bracket so someone will fall in love with it I'm sure. 

Its not a money thing, i like having cars no one else does.  It has reached the age/ price where it will become a disposable car..which is sad....as i clean it, i am more inclined to keep..or sell to the right person rather than pass it on cheap to an ebay/gumtree type .i will add pics soon.

Don't sell it you will only regret it as my father found out when he sold his lovely rust free low mileage example and leather in a compact is a very rare option.

I had to sell him one of my E36s in the end as decent low mileage examples are getting quite rare.

I've got one myself as my everyday car in Ti flavour and the problem I have was it was bought as a runaround and I can't think of anything else to replace it with and this week it's getting more waxoyl applied for the winter months plus some new boots on the back as the 17 year old rear tyres make it go all ford capri in the damp.