40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

But I suspect that;

"Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change;"

would include dropped spindles?

Not in my interpretation - no changes to type or method of suspension or steering. All those remain the same just the geometry has changed?

A lot of people with IFS converted mk1/2 transits will be cursing though!

Also the paragraph regarding what is ok includes modifications commonly done when the vehicles were in production or within 10 years of the end of production so V8 conversions of land rovers, ford pops etc are still ok, my Perkins powered 2 door Rangie is still a VHI but definitely won't be gracing anywhere on the road without a weld fest.

I would like to think that our esteemed government consulted numerous people with a working knowledge of old cars who actually knew what they were talking about, when drafting this ruling.

There is an entire generation out there now that can't even imagine the mere thought of a government consulting the good people.

It's so highly unusual, that bewilderment is commonplace when it happens.

Errrrmmmm Cedric is like not exactly as he left the factory, should I be worried? Only glass, some sheet metal, a bit of the interior and the cam cover are original...

No, because if you don't think it's factory, you don't claim it's original and just get an MOT every year. Or, even if it is original, you're still entitled to get an MOT every year.

Lots of common sense in the rules. I particularly like the fact you can change axles and running gear if it improves safety or environmental impact. So disc brake conversions, wheels to fit modern rubber and axles with a higher ratio diff ratio are all allowable. Particularly sensible is allowing modification if OEM parts are made of unobtanium.

Rushes off to stick 20th of May in the diary........ 

I do wonder if the people who came up with the rules were either classic car fans or leaned on by high up/friends to make it lenient. Or they didn't want the extra paperwork clogging up an already constipated system.

Irritatingly my MGB is a month away from its MOT expiry and the MOST exemption. Not that it matters as I was going to take it to a MOT anyway.

I would like to think that our esteemed government consulted numerous people with a working knowledge of old cars who actually knew what they were talking about, when drafting this ruling.

Yeah, apparently the money I'm saving on doing MOTs will result in the government spending an extra £350m a week on the NHS.

I still plan to pop my cars through annual test regardless.

Many won't be

Because every potential buyer will be looking up its history on the public database for something to argue over before even coming to see the car.  It's quite likely perception will be that getting an MOT when it doesn't need one and getting a list of advisories will have an adverse affect

Me? I'll be taking it along to get up on a ramp annually and pay the garage time rather than have the result put through onto the DVLA computer

Many won't be

Because every potential buyer will be looking up its history on the public database for something to argue over before even coming to see the car. It's quite likely perception will be that getting an MOT when it doesn't need one and getting a list of advisories will have an adverse affect

Me? I'll be taking it along to get up on a ramp annually and pay the garage time rather than have the result put through onto the DVLA computer

For me, any MOT is a big plus point. For all the tests flaws, at least it gives a rough, uniform (supposed to be anyway) level at which the vehicle is at. With no MOT, I would questioning in my mind why a seller is selling it and not had it done.

I'm with flat4alfa.  Bung the garage £20 to test the subtle stuff, like rear brakes.  But not the handbrake; my tester knows it is rubbish and so do I.

The way that this will discourage some of the radical mods to older motors does quite appeal.  I think it is fine if people want to do modifications but I see so many older cars like mine lowered with different engines and I don't think they last long like that.  

Just my view, others will differ.  I'm not so concerned about it really.

My 2p: cars 40 plus years old are a tiny, tiny percentage of the Government and Police worries about unroadworthy cars. I feel certain they see 10x as many examples of new-ish cars running bald tyres and no brakes because they're white goods to owners.

Rolling exemption is a relatively safe, light-touch way to hit targets for de-regulation to appease voters who drive.

My 2p: cars 40 plus years old are a tiny, tiny percentage of the Government and Police worries about unroadworthy cars. I feel certain they see 10x as many examples of new-ish cars running bald tyres and no brakes because they're white goods to owners.

Rolling exemption is a relatively safe, light-touch way to hit targets for de-regulation to appease voters who drive.

Agree.

Numbers: Currently, only cars from before 1960 are exempt, which represents 197,000 cars on UK roads. The new rules will exempt a further 293,000 cars from MOTs. 

Source: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mot-exemption-cars-over-40-years-old-arrives-may-2018

Can't see it being long until someone pulls a 'barn find' out, pumps the tyres up then off down the road and the brakes fail or whatever. I know theres the arguent that you maintain your car to a certain level, but there's a fair few out there who are either clueless about stuff like this and rely on dodgy stuff being brought to their attention or are clueless in the sense that they severely over egg their own ability. I've known loads of the years who proper wing it with stuff like reusing split pins or countless other bodges because they haven't the ability to do it properly. 

What has been the point of MOT exemption anyway, its an income for the garage industry and part suppliers etc. I'd very much doubt the government thought 'Lets give these folks a break from having to have MOT's'. 

It'll have the welding it needs and the tyres but really I don't need someone telling me how old it is and all the usual crap but the main thing is it'll save me some money and I'm all for that as I've never got enough...

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, neatly illustrates why the rolling exemption is a shit idea.