40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

Currently the 604 has (free) tax which runs out on 1st April 2018, and it is insured, but it has no MOT.

As I keep it off of the road this isn't a problem is it?  or does the lack of MOT require me to SORN it?

No you don't need to SORN it.  My AMC is taxed (free) but not currently MOT'd but sitting on my driveway.

I fixed one like that years ago. Big plate on the floor and weld the spring brk to it, Simples.

Got the measurements a little wrong and it crabbed down the road.

Took the bolt out of the rear spring leaves, drilled the main leaf 1" away from the original.

Reassembled leaves, perfect! Drove it for a few years like that.

If it was closer I'd be bidding, you may be amazed what price it reaches.

I'd genuinely love that as a project to learn to weld on and funny enough I was wondering if you could simply weld a thick sheet of metal on. Other priorities are taking precedent unfortunately. I also need to get my BL chod operating as a car too.

my Cortina is a 79. its been sat in a garage off road since 2011. in 2019 im off down the garage with a jerry can and a new battery and away for a drive

I know it says vehicles over 40 years old, but technically its vehicles over 41 years on April each year. My 78 Cortina won't be Historic class until April 2019, so I reckon you'll need to wait until April 2020 :)

Really bad idea, IMHO. Everything used on the road needs to be inspected for safety.

Over on the beach buggy group on FB there's a bit of a panic on. Many buggies are based on a shortened Beetle floorpan and would end up on a Q plate and lose their MOT and tax exempt status and may even need a type approval (or whatever it is) unless they were built (or rather converted from a regular Beetle) after 1988, which many have been. Mine was built in the early 70s although I have no way of proving it. On the V5 it just says "Volkswagen Convertible"

not read all this topic,but it seems a perfect excuse for vosa to pounce,there will be a flood of classics bodged up for the road, getting pulled/prohibited even seized and crushed.

could this be an underhand way of getting classics off the road,think of the revenue in fines,i can see a lot of people running deathtraps.and when the classics are almost extinct,it will force us to buy newer stuff.

does anyone know how it affects kitcars?the jiffys only a few years off 40

Over on the beach buggy group on FB there's a bit of a panic on. 

There is similar consternation on the many bay window/T2 fora. 

What does 'extensively modified' actually mean?

Mine for example has just a four into one exhaust and lowered front suspension - (to counter the sagging rear suspension).

But is that extensive?

Is it no longer a 'Vehicle of Historic Interest'?

Who knows?

I suspect I'll continue to take it along for a go on the brake tester & to let someone cast a fresh pair of eyes over it.

What does 'extensively modified' actually mean?

I would say that 99% of MGs have been extensively modified with loads of new metal where there was rust by the time their first MOT was originally due.

not read all this topic,but it seems a perfect excuse for vosa to pounce,there will be a flood of classics bodged up for the road, getting pulled/prohibited even seized and crushed.

could this be an underhand way of getting classics off the road,think of the revenue in fines,i can see a lot of people running deathtraps.and when the classics are almost extinct,it will force us to buy newer stuff.

does anyone know how it affects kitcars?the jiffys only a few years off 40

Bit tin foil headed IMO. Surely if a car is dangerous it will be removed but otherwise you will get the usual fix it in 2 weeks and show us the repair shizzle? Have they said what the punishment is for having an unroadworthy car? Is it different to cars that get tests?

I can't imagine VOSA DVSA being particularly interested, unless a particular car has a serious accident. I don't imagine they keep any revenue from catching unroadworthy cars either - it'll probably just go back into the general pot. There are more unroadworthy modern cars out there than old cars - just look at all the places that Fords, Mercs, etc rot. Much more easier targets than any.

Plus lack of budget will mean its probably very rarely happens.

yesterday I retested a '76 Triumph.One of the fails was a new flexi hose bulging at the ferrule.Next year though,it could have been "oh, it's fine.I fitted new brake parts".

Going by last years figures we will be losing two MOT's a week.That's 4 grand down on turn-over.

We have a lot of older cars coming in and I think some of it is due to the fact we don't use shaker plates.Maybe it's time I went One Person Testing Lane and chuck my assistant on the dole.

I wonder if there's any sense in garages advertising a £20 safety check - "Full MOT style facilities, written report on mechanicals, we poke around your grimy bits so you don't have to" etc. Obviously not everyone will do it as there's going to be an element of people buying cars JUST to avoid that expensive MOT, but surely there's a contingent out there who want their car to be safe, without having to put it on axle stands and wriggle around underneath.

Legal area might be if they then have an accident due to something you didn't check - but then an MOT isn't binding after you drive off.

Well I'm sure most MOT garages would do everything on an MOT but not do the MOT paperwork if asked.

When I buy a new car, I usually take it to my garage for an inspection service. A service but without the oil change. More thorough than a MOT as they can take off inspection panels, wheels, etc to have a look.

yesterday I retested a '76 Triumph.One of the fails was a new flexi hose bulging at the ferrule.Next year though,it could have been "oh, it's fine.I fitted new brake parts".

Going by last years figures we will be losing two MOT's a week.That's 4 grand down on turn-over.

We have a lot of older cars coming in and I think some of it is due to the fact we don't use shaker plates.Maybe it's time I went One Person Testing Lane and chuck my assistant on the dole.

I think for re-salebility, those with MOTs will get more than without. Also I reckon quite a few people will still have it done anyway. I'll probably get my MGB MOT'd next year too.

To bring up an old chestnut - insurance. We may find if a lot of shonky classics start appearing, insurers may start requiring it as terms of insurance. E.g. 3rd party only if no MOT.

I think if I'd got an old car like that I'd be inclined to chuck £40 every year for an MOT for piece of mind.

The assumption that everyone who owns a classic is competent enough to ensure that their car is roadworthy is silly. I'm fairly aware of the condition of my modern but how many times have you put it in for a test and something caught you out that you couldn't reasonably expect to without it being on the ramp.

The trouble with getting cars now too old for an MOT MOT'd is the rules for the test will no longer allow for them.

Is it pre '73 for no emissions? get an MOT done once that age car doesn't require one & it'll get tested as a newer motor. Same with brake efficiencies etc. How long till the lack of a LH mirror or seatbelts means you can't get an MOT on a 40+ year old motor too?

I think if I'd got an old car like that I'd be inclined to chuck £40 every year for an MOT for piece of mind.

If those £40 every year give you a piece of mind, then you should immediately pull out of the old car hobby, or car ownership altogether.

How many examples shall I show you, that vital components of a car failed spectacularly within days after an MoT test?

The most recent one being the brakes of my R16, but I experienced countless more, and much worse ones at that.

I don't even blame the MoT for that. It's in the nature of old cars. But even with three year old stuff, the MoT test is not a seal of safety

for 12 Months, it's a certificate that the car was roadworthy at the time of the test. If you hit a curb half a minute later, and your tyre carcass

gets damaged, your car isn't roadworthy anymore.

It is, by law, the responsibility of the driver (not even the owner) that the car is roadworthy at all times it is used on public roads.

The MoT is not an institution this responsibility can be outsourced to.

The MOT is designed as a snapshot at a given time that the car is roadworthy at that point not a guarantee it'll last the year like that. An annual inspection is better than it never being inspected. The flaw in what you are saying is that you are assuming everyone is competent enough to be able to judge whether an aspect of the car is roadworthy or otherwise.

The point I make about having an annual MOT on an exempt car is that it would give you an opportunity to spot a safety related fault in time, you can't necessarily spot a fault laid on your back in the driveway. If it wasn't an MOT I'd say at least inspecting it on a ramp once a year would suffice.

Like I said in a previous post, I can't imagine someone on here binding up chafed brake hoses with electrical tape, riveting sills on or ignoring corroded brake pipes, but you can't ignore the potential for what other people find acceptable repairs.

How many examples shall I show you, that vital components of a car failed spectacularly within days after an MoT test?

Yes, yes, yes... we get it. But the MOT is still better than your alternative - nothing - for the things that the tester does find.

My already exempt 1959 Vespa is days away from going back on the road, and d'you know what? It's getting booked into my trusted MOT station for a test, where I will happily hand over my £25 to have a professional cast an eye over the work of a couple of enthusiastic amateurs.

The trouble with getting cars now too old for an MOT MOT'd is the rules for the test will no longer allow for them.

Is it pre '73 for no emissions? get an MOT done once that age car doesn't require one & it'll get tested as a newer motor. Same with brake efficiencies etc. How long till the lack of a LH mirror or seatbelts means you can't get an MOT on a 40+ year old motor too?

This is a nonsense point about the rules.

The rules allow for everything. The problems is either the tester doesn't know, or doesn't bother to consult the manual.

e.g. https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s03000101.htm

Vehicles certified as being designed before 1 January 1905 and constructed before 31 December 1905 do not require a parking brake.

This is not going to end well at all, cue a 40= year old 'classic' recently put on the road, made from chicken wire, the Daily Sport and Isopon being involved in a fatality, then the shit will hit the fan. Insurers are already putting a contingency plan into action bumping premiums up for no ticket, and it's a pissball them to find out if it has or hasn't got one, so no telling porkies to them