40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

If your car failed an MoT, it failed an MoT and can't be driven on the road, is it really that difficult?

Easy there, charm farmer. 

I beg to differ. Since MOT tests are only valid for 1 second or whatever and, it is actually roadworthiness that you are penalised for if you car doesn't need an MOT, it strongly suggests that you could light your pipe with your MOT fail sheet and tootle on home regardless. 

It could also presumably fail on a lightbulb, you could change the bulb and not do a retest. So an MOT fail would mean diddly squat. 

As stated here: 

13.The option for owners to submit their vehicles to a voluntary MOT test will remain and they will still, like all vehicle owners, need to ensure that they meet the legal requirement of keeping their vehicle in a roadworthy condition at all time. Currently 8 around 6% of the owners of pre-1960 vehicles submit their vehicles to voluntary testing and we would anticipate that many vehicle owners will service their vehicles regularly.

I've got a 69 Spitfire in the garage that's been off the road since 2003.

Nice to know I can put some air in the tyres and happily head off down the motorway.

This is of course nonsense. The nearest motorway is about 25 miles away, so there is no risk of getting that far.

I can haz boner!

Historic vehicles will always be restricted in the future that's just inevitable. Lets face it in 10 years you won't be able to buy a car that runs on fossil fuel anymore it'll all be 'lectric power. So I say celebrate it while you can and don't worry about what might or might not happen down the line.

For me the advantage is ease of fleet movement and lack of admin rather than not needing an MOT. All my chod is 2 wheeled and my tester so lax that obtaining an MOT just means turning up half the time. Having 2 bikes in a lock-up 2 miles away and another in a friends garage 65 miles away plus the 4 at home means keeping them up to date with a ticket is a pain and once lapsed I need to ride to pre-booked MOT's which means it has to be done on a Saturday morning only. Being able to move bikes as and when will help me a lot. Once I've moved a few of the mid 90's ones on and bout a few more 70's models that is......

Lack of off street parking put me off having 2 cars years ago as a lapsed MOT was a huge PITA. I can see the search for a Volvo 240 estate starting soon......

Daft idea.

Construction and use still applies.........but you don't have to sit the test.

And yes I do realise that the test do not include all C&U items.

Perfectly fine for people who have the sense/skills to maintain their vehicles.....but there are too many who just think they have them or just don't bother.

I'm fairly certain the vast majority of classic owners will look after their car and do everything in their power to ensure it's kept in a roadworthy condition, but at some point there's going to be some idiot who's running something about with rusty as fuck brake pipes or chafed brake hoses and end up having an accident.

What about all those 'restored' cars? You've got permission now to pop rivet sills on and cake underseal over filler on terminally corroded bits underneath.

I'm not sure any MOT exemption is a great idea. I'm imagine statistically it doesn't make much difference in terms of safety, hardly anyone does a significant mileage in a classic that old after all. But personally, I like the security (possibly false) of having someone better qualified than me having a check over the car once a year. I would likely still put my cars in for a test in any case, it's a cheap check.

Can't see how it could limit the use of old cars unless they were to link it to the low emissions zones but who wants to drive there anyway?

Reading through this exemption document, there is nothing to say you can't have an MOT done anyway. Infact it does say you still can, just it becomes voluntary.

I'm fairly certain the vast majority of classic owners will look after their car and do everything in their power to ensure it's kept in a roadworthy condition, but at some point there's going to be some idiot who's running something about with rusty as fuck brake pipes or chafed brake hoses and end up having an accident.

True but if someone is silly enough to do that in a 40yr old car, it's not likely they'll survive such sillyness in an accident. If they hit a modern cars, it's likely the person's in that will walk away.