Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,436 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationWithin 12,000 Miles from Galashiels

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

What, do you mean cars? That's because in rural Ireland they can't be arsed taking for test, so you'll probably find it's enforcement rather than the test. (which isn't quite a walk in the park as a MOT, but not that much of a PITA either.)

Had an Irish chap buy my Hyundai i20 last week.

Said the reason for buying from the UK was that the cars were far better looked after and serviced in general.

He was incessantly calling on the phone to me on Tuesday, while I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call - plus it was £1.20 per minute to receive the call - I'm Scottish FFS!!! - I thought, WTF is up with the car? 

Called him back a couple of hours later and it turned out he needed the front page of the V5C to register the car, the part that says it's to be retained by me supposedly...? He was flapping big time, as he thought I'd sent it off to Swansea... :)

Anyhoo, as I'm in Dubai, I got the GF to pop it in the post for him. He was chuffed to bits with the car, which is for his daughter supposedly.

Tell it like it is...NOT how it should be ;)

#482 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,436 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

I asked the garage for some blue tissue so I could stick it under the fork dust seals the other year, they helpfully didn't bounce it very hard to check for leaks. They knew I'd fix it & I did explain to them I'd run out of cars so needed the bike legal. Took it off the road a month or so later to do a big refresh & part of that was rechroming the forks.

I've had good luck with scraping the seals using an S shaped piece of plastic from a milk container. 

Had to do it on my GS450GA and GSX-R750 and the Zephyr.

There's a few videos on YouTube about that like this example:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA

#483 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 12,669 posts
  • 149 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:31 AM

I've had good luck with scraping the seals using an S shaped piece of plastic from a milk container. 

Had to do it on my GS450GA and GSX-R750 and the Zephyr.

There's a few videos on YouTube about that like this example:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA

The chrome was worn out after 100k, new OEM seals leaked after 3k.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#484 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,346 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

Yes cars - sorry - forgot we were taking about 2 wheels for a minute. I like the relaxed attitude that comes with being off the beaten track

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin" cried off, rusty

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#485 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,436 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

The chrome was worn out after 100k, new OEM seals leaked after 3k.

That's a pretty low mileage for them to fail/leak at? How long did the replacement sets last?

All my bikes are fairly low mileage and only used on dry sunny days, unless, I get caught out in a shower.

#486 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 4,769 posts
  • 62 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

it turned out he needed the front page of the V5C to register the car, the part that says it's to be retained by me supposedly...?

Only for domestic sales. For an export sale, front page goes to the buyer - it makes life a billion times easier to reregister the vehicle. Seller notifies DVLA by letter.

If you had sent the doc off with his name and address on (notwithstanding the fact it's supposed be signed by buyer and seller), it would of been rejected (non UK address) and sent back. In the meantime he might be getting his plums booted for not registering the vehicle in the allowed timeframe (appointment to be made within 7 days and to take place within 30 days)
  • gtd2000 likes this

#487 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 4,769 posts
  • 62 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Yes cars - sorry - forgot we were taking about 2 wheels for a minute. I like the relaxed attitude that comes with being off the beaten track

Yes, if you down country you might never see a Garda check point, if you stay in Dublin you'll see them plenty.

#488 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 12,669 posts
  • 149 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

That's a pretty low mileage for them to fail/leak at? How long did the replacement sets last?

All my bikes are fairly low mileage and only used on dry sunny days, unless, I get caught out in a shower.

I think I phrased that badly sorry.

The bike was on 100k & the chrome was worn out so the forks leaked. I tried new seals at that point & they leaked again after 3k. Once I got the forks rechromed & new seals again it's not leaked since. I think it's now on it's third or fourth set of seals at 118k, I've lost count although I fitted them all.

• gtd2000 likes this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users