40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

As some of you may have noticed, I'm doing a beetle at the moment which is now MOT exempt.

The worrying thing is, it used to get MOT's all the time, infact when I bought it back in 2000 and something it drove to my council lockup, but I've never driven it since.

So far I've uncovered the following.

Serious damage to the front end near the footwells tack welded into place and wobbed over with Isopon.

Incorrectly fitted front ball joints on torsion arms, which would have lead to premature failure, probably making the front stub axle remove itself. (one was installed at such an angle it'd have beat the crap out of it every time it went over a bump).

No grease at all in the front suspension, meaning the torsion leaves were not lubricated, leading potentially to a premature failure.

Brake master cylinder secured with araldyte

live wires near bodywork, loose, with exposed copper cores.

Failed fuel lines

Bent tierods

Tie rod ends with more play than Tracey, readers wives 1996, Essex.

Tie rod ends secured with castlated nuts and no split pin

Which is why I'm now taking it back to the bare bones and starting again.

Do it once, and it won't need doing again, then I can enjoy it and maintain it.

My cars have been insured with no MOT for years before they were MOT exempt. I've never had to declare them roadworthy.

I think the risk will be that though. Insurers will point to small print saying "roadworthy" or "properly maintained" and leave it to the about-to-be-uninsured to prove otherwise, especially if, like sierraman says, you just found you didn't have any brakes and rear ended someone.

Could be wrong but I could imagine it would be a get out clause for the insurance company, they would be looking for faults with it. Unlikely anyone on here would use a car with dangerous faults but there's a lot of idiots about that don't know fuck all about repairing stuff properly.

Could be wrong but I could imagine it would be a get out clause for the insurance company, they would be looking for faults with it. Unlikely anyone on here would use a car with dangerous faults but there's a lot of idiots about that don't know fuck all about repairing stuff properly.

IIRC most (maybe all) insurance policies have a roadworthiness requirement and have had for years (probablysince before MOTs) - MOT or not, so as usual not much has really changed.

My Tax renewal for the AMC (currently sans-MOT mainly due to not having a fuel tank fitted at present) says "This vehicle requires an MOT certificate" - I don't think that's entirely true as it is nearly 50 years old and largely unmodifed (different wheels and disc brakes from a later AMC fitted - it had discs originally bit they and the calipers are now very hard to get and were a bit rubbish anyway.

I've just spent 45 minutes in the local Heron frozen food shop. The nice people behind the counter have taken my V5Cs for both the MGB GT's, which weren't listed as historic, or have been on the road for years, and changed them to historic status and taxed them. Result!!

The nice man also said that as long as they are in my garage, not on the public highway the continuous insurance doesn't apply.

And, what took the time was handing over the third V5, yes a blue old fashioned one for the Excelsior which has been in bits since 1983. He had to ring the DVLC about this as his computer terminal almost had a fit. Had cough up £25 for a new V5C but 'should' get that back as I haven't lost the V5C, just never had one. All I have to do is fix the bloody lot of them now!

Now get them sorned - he told you wrong and continous insurance does indeed apply even if they are kept garaged.

They changed it a few years ago so that once sorned once , you didnt need to sorn it again. Its annoying that theres no way to just declare a car scrapped like you used to be able to, and it will forever be in sorn limbo

Send the V5 to Swansea with a note of what has happened, ie stripped for parts and the rest weighed as metal and they will log it as scrapped. You should get a letter a few weeks later saying it's no longer your responsibility.

Well my 32 year old Suzuki GSX-R750 had it's first MoT in 32 years.

Was used in Hong Kong for 5 years (without need for an MoT) and then sent back to the UK to sit in the corner of various sheds and garages.

Gave the bike the once over and took it in for the MoT passed with no problem at all.

There's load of places (even in the EU) where you don't need annual inspections after a certain age.

Don't forget that it's only a "snap shot" during one hour on one day in 365 and you can still be charged with riding or driving a vehicle that isn't roadworthy while holding a valid MoT.

I took three bikes in for an MoT this year and to be quite frank, I pay more attention to the details than the inspector did.

If you don't feel happy about exemption, take it in and pay for the inspection and whatever confidence factor that will give you for the next 365 days ;)

Guest Hooli

I took three bikes in for an MoT this year and to be quite frank, I pay more attention to the details than the inspector did.

With bikes if it rides ok it'll pass an MOT so you can't not know if something is dodgy. Except for the warped disc I had that couldn't be felt when riding of course.

There are (or were) about a dozen EU member states that don't roadworthiness test two-wheelers of any age. Ireland being one of them.

Judging by some of the heaps I've seen in rural Ireland and rural France, the test is very lax, or there's no enforcement*

*not complaining btw

With bikes if it rides ok it'll pass an MOT so you can't not know if something is dodgy. Except for the warped disc I had that couldn't be felt when riding of course.

With my GSX-R750 I noticed the number plate bulb had gone when it was at the testing station. Even pointed it out but before 20th of May it wasn't a testable item supposedly?

When I had my Zephyr tested the examiner asked about the tiny amount of hydraulic fluid on the wheel rim, explained that I'd sorted out the RHS fork seal (leaking previously, due to standing presumably, as the stanchion is in perfect condition) before bringing it in for testing. I was quite impressed that he'd actually noticed it!

He didn't comment on my under-inflated 125cc tyres but did pump them up for me when I pointed that out :)

Guest Hooli

I asked the garage for some blue tissue so I could stick it under the fork dust seals the other year, they helpfully didn't bounce it very hard to check for leaks. They knew I'd fix it & I did explain to them I'd run out of cars so needed the bike legal. Took it off the road a month or so later to do a big refresh & part of that was rechroming the forks.

What, do you mean cars? That's because in rural Ireland they can't be arsed taking for test, so you'll probably find it's enforcement rather than the test. (which isn't quite a walk in the park as a MOT, but not that much of a PITA either.)

Had an Irish chap buy my Hyundai i20 last week.

Said the reason for buying from the UK was that the cars were far better looked after and serviced in general.

He was incessantly calling on the phone to me on Tuesday, while I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call - plus it was £1.20 per minute to receive the call - I'm Scottish FFS!!! - I thought, WTF is up with the car? 

Called him back a couple of hours later and it turned out he needed the front page of the V5C to register the car, the part that says it's to be retained by me supposedly...? He was flapping big time, as he thought I'd sent it off to Swansea... :)

Anyhoo, as I'm in Dubai, I got the GF to pop it in the post for him. He was chuffed to bits with the car, which is for his daughter supposedly.

I asked the garage for some blue tissue so I could stick it under the fork dust seals the other year, they helpfully didn't bounce it very hard to check for leaks. They knew I'd fix it & I did explain to them I'd run out of cars so needed the bike legal. Took it off the road a month or so later to do a big refresh & part of that was rechroming the forks.

I've had good luck with scraping the seals using an S shaped piece of plastic from a milk container. 

Had to do it on my GS450GA and GSX-R750 and the Zephyr.

There's a few videos on YouTube about that like this example:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA

Guest Hooli

I've had good luck with scraping the seals using an S shaped piece of plastic from a milk container. 

Had to do it on my GS450GA and GSX-R750 and the Zephyr.

There's a few videos on YouTube about that like this example:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA

The chrome was worn out after 100k, new OEM seals leaked after 3k.

The chrome was worn out after 100k, new OEM seals leaked after 3k.

That's a pretty low mileage for them to fail/leak at? How long did the replacement sets last?

All my bikes are fairly low mileage and only used on dry sunny days, unless, I get caught out in a shower.

it turned out he needed the front page of the V5C to register the car, the part that says it's to be retained by me supposedly...?

Only for domestic sales. For an export sale, front page goes to the buyer - it makes life a billion times easier to reregister the vehicle. Seller notifies DVLA by letter.

If you had sent the doc off with his name and address on (notwithstanding the fact it's supposed be signed by buyer and seller), it would of been rejected (non UK address) and sent back. In the meantime he might be getting his plums booted for not registering the vehicle in the allowed timeframe (appointment to be made within 7 days and to take place within 30 days)

Guest Hooli

That's a pretty low mileage for them to fail/leak at? How long did the replacement sets last?

All my bikes are fairly low mileage and only used on dry sunny days, unless, I get caught out in a shower.

I think I phrased that badly sorry.

The bike was on 100k & the chrome was worn out so the forks leaked. I tried new seals at that point & they leaked again after 3k. Once I got the forks rechromed & new seals again it's not leaked since. I think it's now on it's third or fourth set of seals at 118k, I've lost count although I fitted them all.