Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#451 ONLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 546 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Once you have declared SORN it remains SORN until you re-tax.

It used to be that you renewed SORN every year.

This was one of the reasons I never traded a blue V5 for a V5C. By the time they dropped the the SORN every year shite, I couldn't be arsed to update to a V5C

#452 ONLINE   doug

doug

• Full Members
  • 603 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

So is a motorcycle and sidecar "substantially changed"? Hope not as I have just taxed and moted it for free. Off for a wee hurl tomorrow.
  • loserone likes this

#453 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:46 PM

They changed it a few years ago so that once sorned once , you didnt need to sorn it again. Its annoying that theres no way to just declare a car scrapped like you used to be able to, and it will forever be in sorn limbo

The change has been made that only an authorised End Of Life operator (IE a scrappers or a weigh-in metal merchant) can declare scrap, which they don't even need the V5 for, just the VIN. If you are a private individual, you cannot declare the vehicle "broken up", even if you did it. Apparently there has been a massive increase in the number of "permanently exported" vehicles since that change ewas made. I wonder why....
  • CortinaDave likes this
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#454 OFFLINE   CortinaDave

CortinaDave

• Full Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationfloating somewhere between Fife and Aberdeen

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

In fairness, most have been permanently exported to china... just in cube form
  • busmansholiday likes this
Current Shite:
79 T Ford Cortina 2.0S
02 52 MG ZT 160 V6

#455 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 4,826 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

Useful. Of course, in the days of the V5 Blue, one didn't have declare SORN and thus never got issued with a new style V5C. I've got a garaged motor which has been off the road on a blue V5 since before the SORN shite, I know, been busy with other stuff. It stands on slave wheels and tyres etc etc. It will need some minor recommissioning but it is in fine order. I might just send off the old V5 with a change of address and get a new V5C and then SORN it

I chopped my old V5 Vehicle Registration Documents in at the time (as advised by the FBHVC 2002?) and was issued new blue V5C Certificates. Old ones returned with provided SAE and cover letter.

One car is still untaxed as pre-SORN. No keeper change and untaxed since 1992, so hasn't come into SORN. So just because a new doc was issued, didn't bring it into the SORN pool. Only taxing it would do that.
  • RayMK and Isaac Hunt like this

#456 OFFLINE   The Old Bloke Next Door

The Old Bloke Next Door

• Full Members
  • 449 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationCannock

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

Has anyone had their insurer refuse to offer cover on a classic with no mot?. 

My tame mechanic says he's heard through the grape vine of some owners unable to insure a vehicle declared mot exempt.

I must not buy any more cars.

#457 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,418 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Probably the higher risk of an accident due to potential for dangerous brakes etc. Stuff that would be spotted during a test.

#458 ONLINE   HillmanImp

HillmanImp

• Full Members
  • 7,169 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationBratfurd innit

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

My cars have been insured with no MOT for years before they were MOT exempt. I've never had to declare them roadworthy.
  • gtd2000 and alf892 like this
1965 Singer Chamois
1972 Triumph GT6
1987 Citroen Visa 10e
1989 Toyota MR2
1998 Jaguar XJ8 Sport

#459 OFFLINE   DaveDorson

DaveDorson

• Full Members
  • 839 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

As some of you may have noticed, I'm doing a beetle at the moment which is now MOT exempt.

The worrying thing is, it used to get MOT's all the time, infact when I bought it back in 2000 and something it drove to my council lockup, but I've never driven it since.

So far I've uncovered the following.

Serious damage to the front end near the footwells tack welded into place and wobbed over with Isopon.

Incorrectly fitted front ball joints on torsion arms, which would have lead to premature failure, probably making the front stub axle remove itself. (one was installed at such an angle it'd have beat the crap out of it every time it went over a bump).

No grease at all in the front suspension, meaning the torsion leaves were not lubricated, leading potentially to a premature failure.

Brake master cylinder secured with araldyte

live wires near bodywork, loose, with exposed copper cores.

Failed fuel lines

Bent tierods

Tie rod ends with more play than Tracey, readers wives 1996, Essex.

Tie rod ends secured with castlated nuts and no split pin

Which is why I'm now taking it back to the bare bones and starting again.

Do it once, and it won't need doing again, then I can enjoy it and maintain it.

• Dick Longbridge and Tickman like this

#460 ONLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 913 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

My cars have been insured with no MOT for years before they were MOT exempt. I've never had to declare them roadworthy.

I think the risk will be that though. Insurers will point to small print saying "roadworthy" or "properly maintained" and leave it to the about-to-be-uninsured to prove otherwise, especially if, like sierraman says, you just found you didn't have any brakes and rear ended someone.

• busmansholiday likes this

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#461 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 9,418 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

Could be wrong but I could imagine it would be a get out clause for the insurance company, they would be looking for faults with it. Unlikely anyone on here would use a car with dangerous faults but there's a lot of idiots about that don't know fuck all about repairing stuff properly.

#462 ONLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,549 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Could be wrong but I could imagine it would be a get out clause for the insurance company, they would be looking for faults with it. Unlikely anyone on here would use a car with dangerous faults but there's a lot of idiots about that don't know fuck all about repairing stuff properly.

IIRC most (maybe all) insurance policies have a roadworthiness requirement and have had for years (probablysince before MOTs) - MOT or not, so as usual not much has really changed.

• HillmanImp, alf892, drum and 2 others like this

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin" cried off, rusty

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#463 ONLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,549 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

My Tax renewal for the AMC (currently sans-MOT mainly due to not having a fuel tank fitted at present) says "This vehicle requires an MOT certificate" - I don't think that's entirely true as it is nearly 50 years old and largely unmodifed (different wheels and disc brakes from a later AMC fitted - it had discs originally bit they and the calipers are now very hard to get and were a bit rubbish anyway.

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

#464 ONLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,549 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

OK, just taxed online and declared it's substantially unmodified - all done, easy.

• Tickman likes this

#465 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,212 posts
  • 91 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

I've just spent 45 minutes in the local Heron frozen food shop. The nice people behind the counter have taken my V5Cs for both the MGB GT's, which weren't listed as historic, or have been on the road for years, and changed them to historic status and taxed them. Result!!
The nice man also said that as long as they are in my garage, not on the public highway the continuous insurance doesn't apply.

And, what took the time was handing over the third V5, yes a blue old fashioned one for the Excelsior which has been in bits since 1983. He had to ring the DVLC about this as his computer terminal almost had a fit. Had cough up £25 for a new V5C but 'should' get that back as I haven't lost the V5C, just never had one. All I have to do is fix the bloody lot of them now!

Now get them sorned - he told you wrong and continous insurance does indeed apply even if they are kept garaged.
  • Sigmund Fraud likes this

#466 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,212 posts
  • 91 thanks

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

They changed it a few years ago so that once sorned once , you didnt need to sorn it again. Its annoying that theres no way to just declare a car scrapped like you used to be able to, and it will forever be in sorn limbo

Send the V5 to Swansea with a note of what has happened, ie stripped for parts and the rest weighed as metal and they will log it as scrapped. You should get a letter a few weeks later saying it's no longer your responsibility.

#467 ONLINE   dave j

dave j

• Full Members
  • 138 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

I renewed the tax on my camper this morning. It was the same as last year - no tick box for exemption or anything. Have I missed something? It's already tax exempt.

2007 Skoda Octavia VRS tdi estate
1973 VW Camper

1971 VW Beetle

2005 Kia Sorento

#468 OFFLINE   captain_70s

captain_70s

A Triumphant Moron

• Full Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationWeegietown

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Mot exemption is automatic if the car was already classed as "historic" I think.
  • dave j and Sigmund Fraud like this

26707358839_1b301cd015_o.jpg

#469 ONLINE   dave j

dave j

• Full Members
  • 138 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

I wondered that. But there wasn't a box to tick to say I hadn't modified it.

2007 Skoda Octavia VRS tdi estate
1973 VW Camper

1971 VW Beetle

2005 Kia Sorento

#470 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationWithin 12,000 Miles from Galashiels

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

Well my 32 year old Suzuki GSX-R750 had it's first MoT in 32 years.

Was used in Hong Kong for 5 years (without need for an MoT) and then sent back to the UK to sit in the corner of various sheds and garages.

Gave the bike the once over and took it in for the MoT passed with no problem at all.

There's load of places (even in the EU) where you don't need annual inspections after a certain age.

Don't forget that it's only a "snap shot" during one hour on one day in 365 and you can still be charged with riding or driving a vehicle that isn't roadworthy while holding a valid MoT.

I took three bikes in for an MoT this year and to be quite frank, I pay more attention to the details than the inspector did.

If you don't feel happy about exemption, take it in and pay for the inspection and whatever confidence factor that will give you for the next 365 days ;)

• Mike D and Eddie Honda like this
Tell it like it is...NOT how it should be ;)

#471 ONLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,549 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

I took three bikes in for an MoT this year and to be quite frank, I pay more attention to the details than the inspector did.

My Jaaag should have failed on a number of trivial issues I am aware of but it didn't.

• gtd2000 likes this

#472 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,305 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

With bikes if it rides ok it'll pass an MOT so you can't not know if something is dodgy. Except for the warped disc I had that couldn't be felt when riding of course.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#473 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 1,030 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Now get them sorned - he told you wrong and continous insurance does indeed apply even if they are kept garaged.

As soon as the new V5C appears it will be done, don't worry, unless I fancy a run in the green MG to view the tarmac as I drive along.

#474 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 4,826 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

There's load of places (even in the EU) where you don't need annual inspections after a certain age.

There are (or were) about a dozen EU member states that don't roadworthiness test two-wheelers of any age. Ireland being one of them.
  • gtd2000 likes this

#475 ONLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,549 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

There are (or were) about a dozen EU member states that don't roadworthiness test two-wheelers of any age. Ireland being one of them.

Judging by some of the heaps I've seen in rural Ireland and rural France, the test is very lax, or there's no enforcement*

*not complaining btw

#476 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 4,826 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:24 PM

What, do you mean cars? That's because in rural Ireland they can't be arsed taking for test, so you'll probably find it's enforcement rather than the test. (which isn't quite a walk in the park as a MOT, but not that much of a PITA either.)

#477 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

With bikes if it rides ok it'll pass an MOT so you can't not know if something is dodgy. Except for the warped disc I had that couldn't be felt when riding of course.

With my GSX-R750 I noticed the number plate bulb had gone when it was at the testing station. Even pointed it out but before 20th of May it wasn't a testable item supposedly?

When I had my Zephyr tested the examiner asked about the tiny amount of hydraulic fluid on the wheel rim, explained that I'd sorted out the RHS fork seal (leaking previously, due to standing presumably, as the stanchion is in perfect condition) before bringing it in for testing. I was quite impressed that he'd actually noticed it!

He didn't comment on my under-inflated 125cc tyres but did pump them up for me when I pointed that out :)

#478 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,305 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

I asked the garage for some blue tissue so I could stick it under the fork dust seals the other year, they helpfully didn't bounce it very hard to check for leaks. They knew I'd fix it & I did explain to them I'd run out of cars so needed the bike legal. Took it off the road a month or so later to do a big refresh & part of that was rechroming the forks.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#479 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

What, do you mean cars? That's because in rural Ireland they can't be arsed taking for test, so you'll probably find it's enforcement rather than the test. (which isn't quite a walk in the park as a MOT, but not that much of a PITA either.)

Had an Irish chap buy my Hyundai i20 last week.

Said the reason for buying from the UK was that the cars were far better looked after and serviced in general.

He was incessantly calling on the phone to me on Tuesday, while I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call - plus it was £1.20 per minute to receive the call - I'm Scottish FFS!!! - I thought, WTF is up with the car? 

Called him back a couple of hours later and it turned out he needed the front page of the V5C to register the car, the part that says it's to be retained by me supposedly...? He was flapping big time, as he thought I'd sent it off to Swansea... :)

Anyhoo, as I'm in Dubai, I got the GF to pop it in the post for him. He was chuffed to bits with the car, which is for his daughter supposedly.

#480 OFFLINE   gtd2000

gtd2000

• Full Members
  • 2,448 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

I asked the garage for some blue tissue so I could stick it under the fork dust seals the other year, they helpfully didn't bounce it very hard to check for leaks. They knew I'd fix it & I did explain to them I'd run out of cars so needed the bike legal. Took it off the road a month or so later to do a big refresh & part of that was rechroming the forks.

I've had good luck with scraping the seals using an S shaped piece of plastic from a milk container. 

Had to do it on my GS450GA and GSX-R750 and the Zephyr.

There's a few videos on YouTube about that like this example:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users