40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

Don't all these taxed* cars need to be insured under the continuous insurance rules?  Be careful what you sign up to...

I'll be MoTing my 1975 Mini next week.  I want to see how all this pans out first!

All still learning aren't we, whilst we get stuck in like a tramp on chips.

My take on it is that to get 'tax exemption' if you haven't already got it, one needs to apply for it And in doing so you apply for Tax. The MOT exemption form gets you past that.. so nowt to stop you then declaring SORN as soon as your revised V5 comes back to deal with the lack of insurance.

As for the period in between the application on the SORN, I am sure there will be a few tales to be told on here.

Don't all these taxed* cars need to be insured under the continuous insurance rules? Be careful what you sign up to...

I'll be MoTing my 1975 Mini next week. I want to see how all this pans out first!

Yes I believe they do. If not insured then they can't be on the road and they'll need to be SORN. I don't believe those rules have changed.

My MGB is still insured, so no worries for me there. I still intend to get an MOT, however the exemption is useful for me as my breakdown cover won't cover me otherwise. It doesn't cover me if the car requires an MOT and it doesn't have one. As it doesn't need an MOT now, it'll cover me whatever happens on the way to the MOT centre.

Thus reducing my anxiety levels a fair bit.

All my cars are fully insured. It costs under £200 a year to insure the Imp, GT6 & Visa so there seems little point not insuring them for that cost.

I should drag the Imp to some woods somewhere and pretend its been stolen and stripped for parts (including the paint) and get a free restoration done.

Just tried this on the Daf, where the MOT expires tomorrow.

It didn’t give me an opportunity to tick a box to declare it MOT exempt, so from what you’re all saying it seems I’ll just do it once the MOT expires.

Is it already on the tax exempt class? If so, I bet it's just a gremlin in the system. I'd hate to have to design that online tax system, so many corner cases it has to take into account.

Is it already on the tax exempt class? If so, I bet it's just a gremlin in the system. I'd hate to have to design that online tax system, so many corner cases it has to take into account.

It is indeed. I just assumed that since I’m trying to tax it with a valid MOT it hasn’t triggered the “this is MOT exempt” box

My main concern was that I’d need a valid MOT to declare it MOT exempt but from what’s been happening with other people, it seems that’s not the case.

Just successfully taxed my Series 3 109 Landy using the new DVLA online option, very straight forward process.

Clean the rust off the brake drums tomorrow, a general check over then drive it from my workshop to my house. 

Then move my Series 3 Transit into the workshop for an appraisal. Its been used as a mobile shed for the last nine years and is slowly rusting away.

It's just a hunch, but I would expect the police to be on the lookout for moss covered cars and grubby mopeds that have not been on the road for yonks. If my 1967 Peugeot moped would start, I'd be tempted to go the MOT exemption route. It all worked fine in 1981.

For those of you who have successfully managed to do this today, what MoT status do you get on the normal vehicle enquiry page?

I've gone through the same process as SIC described, I get "MOT No results returned". The last MoT expired on 17th May.

My Doloshite comes up with that as well, that's still registered as a regular car though...

To try this, i just online "taxed" a 1971 cortina that hasnt existed for 15 years but i still have the logbook for. Its not insured, and obviously has had no MOT since 2003, yet its now road legal. Absolutely batshit.

What exactly is batshit about it? You are also able to submit a self assessment form full of lies, apply for benefits you're not entitled to, send the council a planning application for a marijuana grow op etc.

Did you declare that as un-modified despite its pre-67 wings and alloy wheels?

Alloys on the exemption of:

"in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance"

Because the bigger, modern alloys are substantially better performing than original steelies.

Wings because:

"changes of a type, that can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or in general use (within ten years of the end of production)"

I reckon people would have slapped on pre-67 wings on their bug when it still was in production.

Either way, I think he's safe.

For those of you who have successfully managed to do this today, what MoT status do you get on the normal vehicle enquiry page?

I've gone through the same process as SIC described, I get "MOT No results returned". The last MoT expired on 17th May.

My MGB said "No results returned" before and after I did the exemption. I did check!

Also the MOT history section of the DVLA site before and after says that it's expired, but maybe exempt.

Back to 'old skool' methods when we buy 40 year old + stuff then...............no quick check of the DVSA MOT history for the insight 'that a tester gives'

The MOT history checker still gives results of old MOT history. However the car check just says no results found. I suspect retaxing of the vehicle wasn't necessary for today to be MOT exempt. I seem to remember reading somewhere (but I can't re-find it) that the DVSA will assume currently tax exempt vehicles don't need an MOT exempt declaration until the yearly retax is up.