40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

The garage has no authority at all to detain the car, id just take it away. Nothing they could do about it.

This.

The worst they could do is grass you up to the rozzers but how many garages are going to be arsed doing that. Essentially the new fail states will just be used to scare people into thinking the car they've been driving with that fault for ages is suddenly 100% lethal so they shouldn't drive it again and have it fixed there asap for all the monies...

Not sure Sunday is going to be much to write home about tbh - one would have to tax the car using a V112 at a post office before one could legally drive it, and there aren't many post offices open on Sundays.  I certainly won't be roaring around in the Renault 6 this weekend.

Here is a little thought. So it seems like we'll need to fill in V112 and take it to a post office to become MOT exempt on cars already on Historic tax class. This is because the MOT exemption is a separate thing to the tax class. Partly because you need to declare its MOT exempt due to be both on age and not meeting the substantially modified clauses.

However what about those vehicles already MOT exempt (i.e. pre 1960)? As it will be now declared, will those now not be MOT exempt until the owner totters down to their local Post Office and fill a V112 in?

I just had a look at the V112 form and it hasn't been changed yet and still gives pre 1960 as a reason for exemption and not the 40 year rule. I will be testing the registering an import that is mot exempt in a week or so. I know I used to be able to register pre 60 cars without a test so will have to see if it works with the Renault 7

Going back to my question a few pages back, I assume it has to be insured, aye?

Yes, as I think I replied at the time. It does NOT need to be insured to tax it (delays in insurance companies updating the MID stopped the checks) but under continuous insurance rules, if it is taxed it MUST be insured or they will fine you.

Yes, as I think I replied at the time. It does NOT need to be insured to tax it (delays in insurance companies updating the MID stopped the checks) but under continuous insurance rules, if it is taxed it MUST be insured or they will fine you.

I want to register the Lambretta as MOT exempt (to be ready, on the off-chance I decide to sell it), but don’t want to pay for insurance on something I won’t use for the foreseeable.

So basically, I could tax it online, then take a V112 to the PO next Monday and get it registered as MOT exempt?

I’d SORN it straight after, so I don’t get the bollocking you mention...

Edit: Just tried taxing it, and it states ‘The Welsh aren’t interested in your veehicle right now coz it’s not MOTd mate’...

I wonder if that’ll change as of next week?

Quarter past midnight on 20th May 2018. V112 form and MOT exemption guidance not updated on the DVLA website. :(

Maybe it was just all a bit hoax by the DVLA! :mrgreen:

I did read somewhere that the online declaration wouldn't be available until late June/July and all vehicles that were already MOT exempt would have to declare VHI anyway as they may not fit the new criteria. I think the V112 will be replaced by a new section on the tax application form if I have managed to read, and understand, the information correctly.

I was being a div, the V112 was updated on the 18th May. I just kept opening my cached copy when my phone was asking!?

This has been updated now: https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Still not 100% clear to me what I need to do next for my MGB. I thought I'd need to go to the post office and fill in the V112, however that site reads like I don't need to do anything yet. Only when I renew my tax exemption do I need to declare there is no substantial changes.

Well, as at 8.30 Sunday morning, they' ve amended half the system.

IAs I said, I tried to tax a car that hasn't moved in 15 years online, as an exercise.

Yesterday I was refused - no Mot.

Today I was asked to confirm its exempt, which I did, so it then moved onto the Direct Debit - wanting to charge me £13.56 per month.

I consider setting it up, then cancelling the DD before collection - but that just feels a massive pain, so I cancelled.

I'll go into the PO later, but the system has def changed. They just don't seem to have linked sll the dots...

Getting there.

Guest Hooli

If I could be bothered to get the V5 out I'd try my Bonnie to see what happens on something that's not yet registered as historic.

Before we do this, lets recap. My MGB GT MOT expired last month. It's currently set the historic tax class and wasn't due to need that renewing until the 1st August 2018. So I'm not quite sure what what will happen.

Right here we go. I know it's taxed already and no the DVLA haven't asked me to redo it.

30b5dfdb4c56c3d2d7643697c61bc4aa.jpg

Yes I know it's already taxed. You told me this a moment ago. I know totally what I'm doing*.

4548d7c833c1ea819e312c4775eab54b.jpg

Yeah I'm sure it's totally original-ish.

2b6ac40e15a27c404b61f8a6511eca4f.jpg

Let's do this then.

f541674d29705024189e5ba5ae66cf85.jpg

Wahoo!

ee7a3f40dd32c3a9038805f419038e4e.jpg

So I'm pretty sure it's now all properly registered as MOT exempt and ready to go??