40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

Guest Hooli

I've been reading up on this & I'm still not sure if the car/bike needs a current MOT to get changed to the exempt class.

I ask as my Bonnie is in bits & it'd make life easier to not need an MOT after rebuilding it.

Its just 2 weeks today until MOT exemption starts! :o

And when my MGB is likely to be back on the road again...

Oh, I missed the memo there, then. I assumed exemption started on May 1st?

So it’s looking like I’ll potentially need to get it MOTd AND insured just so I can declare it as MOT exempt? Buggerations.

I've been reading up on this & I'm still not sure if the car/bike needs a current MOT to get changed to the exempt class.

I ask as my Bonnie is in bits & it'd make life easier to not need an MOT after rebuilding it.

I have been wondering this as well as there seems to be some confusion over it.

You're not the only one wondering, I've two MGB's and an Excelsior in the same boat. Although thinking about it, the Excelsior is pre 1960 so I really should have a walk down to the local Heron frozen food place some time mid week and check what the say.

My experience with V112 forms is that you can declare pretty much anything MOT exempt in order to tax it - that's how all those beavertail trucks have been getting away with it for so long, as well as Land Rovers taxed as "agricultural vehicles".  It's only if you get a tug that you'd be in the shit.  That being the case, I very much doubt that you need a current MOT in order to get the vehicle accepted as exempt.

My experience with V112 forms is that you can declare pretty much anything MOT exempt in order to tax it

^^ this. I can't find the DVLA guidance on 40yr rolling (I'm sure I have seen it before) but currently you fill in a V112 in place of an MOT and then go to a Post Office to declare it as a VHI. As described here:

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

Either way I can't see it being any different when the 40yr exemption becomes valid. Except that form will be updated for pre 1978 vehicles as a tick box. Possibly also a box saying it's not been substantially modified either.

^^ this. I can't find the DVLA guidance on 40yr rolling (I'm sure I have seen it before) but currently you fill in a V112 in place of an MOT and then go to a Post Office to declare it as a VHI. As described here:

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

Either way I can't see it being any different when the 40yr exemption becomes valid. Except that form will be updated for pre 1978 vehicles as a tick box. Possibly also a box saying it's not been substantially modified either.

As I read it vehicles will no longer be MOT exempt, they will be recorded as VHI and even vehicles that are currently exempt have to declare VHI as it is different and some will not meet the criteria for VHI. Also the methodology to declare VHI will not apparently be available until July, using the old form will not work so many, including me, will be MOTing their vehicles to continue using them for another year, declaring VHI at the next free tax renewal.

As I read it vehicles will no longer be MOT exempt, they will be recorded as VHI and even vehicles that are currently exempt have to declare VHI as it is different and some will not meet the criteria for VHI. Also the methodology to declare VHI will not apparently be available until July, using the old form will not work so many, including me, will be MOTing their vehicles to continue using them for another year, declaring VHI at the next free tax renewal.

Isn't Historic tax class that defines it's a VHI?

Isn't Historic tax class that defines it's a VHI?

Apparently not as a modified car could be historic but won't meet the criteria for VHI, according to to what I have read, hence the need to declare historic as VHI to maintain MOT exemption.

That is how I understand it. My Cobra will be tax exempt next year (first reg 78) but not MOT exempt until 2021 - built as a Cobra in 1991 so unmodified for 30 years.

Also, DO remember if a vehicle is taxed (even if free) under the continuous insurance legislation it MUST be insured. Even if not used.

Also the methodology to declare VHI will not apparently be available until July, using the old form will not work so many, including me, will be MOTing their vehicles to continue using them for another year, declaring VHI at the next free tax renewal.

Farkinell, I'm grateful for change in regard to my 1970 machine and look forward to my 1979 machine being incorporated into this new 40 year MOT and VED 'exemption' for VHI.

But FFS, they couldn't have made the switch any more complex could they. 1st Jan, 1st April, 20th May and sometime in July. I'm feckin confused as to when I can declare my already VED exempt but Sorned 1970 machine for some revised VHI class that differs from the current VED exempt class by how I not know and then secure MOT exemption and then tax it.

So, my understanding of this is, for my eligible cars:

73 Mercury. Current MOT expires end of Sept 18. Tax expires Dec 18. Already fully registered in U.K. and registered as historic vehicle.

So this one I don’t have to mot again? It simply becomes mot exempt and when the tax expires I re-tax it in December and declare it isn’t modified and is a VHI not requiring an mot or tax?

74 Capri. Currently not mot’d, this expired in 2016 when the restoration started. Tax expires May 19. Fully U.K. registered and registered as historic vehicle already.

So this one I finish rebuilding it then just jump in when I’m finished working on it then just use it since it’s already taxed (exempt) and doesn’t need an mot based on age?

Why can’t the morons in charge of this cuntry explain things!? It’s not much to ask really. I don’t have a fucking clue wtf is right or wrong regarding all this bollocks, it’s just all hear say from forums and the like.

Vehicles thAt aren't all ready registered in the uk (i.e. don't have a logbook) have to pass an mot to get a logbook then after that can become mot exempt.

As usual it's all halfarsed, half thought out that will eventually sorted in a court case.

That was my understanding as well but plenty of people seem to have been getting pre 60 yank imports registered without ever having to mot them?

I'm wondering if they plan to 'inspect' anything that suddenly comes back to life after becoming mot exempt that hasn't been on a road for a while?

I'm thinking there has to be a few people who've re-arranged their fix it queue to take advantage of mot exempt? I'm working on my series landy, partly because of mot exempt, partly because the shed it's in is close to collapse. Last on a road 2002, not super keen on the man from the ministry rivet counting it, as it's definitely granddad's hammer. There isn't even two panes of glass with the same triplex date code. It will be safe, replacing all brake system / suspension / steering things is last job.

Aye, the Renault 6 will be going back on the road once I've given the brakes and steering a good going over - that's not been (legally) on the road for a few years now (not as far back as 2002 mind).  That wouldn't pass an MOT as it is now, but it wouldn't fail on anything that makes it dangerous (apart possibly from the odd brake pipe, which I'll be replacing anyway).

I'll probably tax the Volvo as well - that won't be going anywhere for a while yet as the braking system needs a complete overhaul and I can't find a front caliper for love nor [a sensible amount of] money.  Being taxed will mean I can move it off the drive and onto the road to get things in and out of the garden without worrying about it though, which will be a bonus.

Guest Hooli

Only good thing about my Bonnie being MOT exempt is I don't need to fit the barn door number plate once a year. Damn thing is as wide as cylinder head & looks daft, she much prefers her 6x4.5" black n silver as it doesn't make her arse look big.

My Triumph 2000 MOT expires on the 13th May,and the tax on 1st June,i,am HOPING the reminder comes next week so I can tax it,but if it doesnt come before the MOT expires then what happens?

Also when the MOT expires on the 13th do I just let it sit until the 20th May when its MOT exempt then I have to declare it MOT exempt on the DVLA?

Bolting something different on for the day of the test and then unbolting it when you get home.

Some of the hoops we jump through for the coveted ticket.

I had a car that was slightly high on lambda once, just scraped in. Because I tend to keep my cars a long time, I often have detailed knowledge of previuos tests over and above what we see on-line.

I puzzled for a while and on reflection, remembered because this car had a free flow backbox and wide oval tailpaipe, I recalled on the previous two MOT's the tester really burying the probe right deep into the exhaust including the clip as opposed to just clipping it on the tailpaipe.

The year of the Lambda scrape through, it was a different tester. This year, back to the original tester. I observed, and sure enough, the pipe got buried in deep and 12 months on and 15000 miles on and the Lambda was fine. Haven't changed plugs, oil, oil Filter, air filter, changed nowt in the last 40000 miles.

I could have fooled around right good and proper last year. I googled MOT failure on Lambda readings and sure enough, a common method on twin tailpipes is to bung some rag in one of the pipes as the test is undertaken. It all depends on how much the tester wants to get a pass.

A fiend of the family has just returned from an MOT Test. They failed him on a wiper blade not clearing, a bulge in a tyre. Then the service department reckon he needs new discs and pads all round, hub bearing all coming to £1000. Despite the pads and discs being fine for at least another year on his mileage, he had decided to part x his car with 12 months MOT against a nearly new car.........The only saving grace for the scare shitless tactics was that he has purchased one from a different dealer and I've given him details of a good independent MOT station. If he lived close I'd take the car in for him. I hate it when I see this bollocks going on, poor chap doesn't know much about cars and trusts his dealer. There is fookhall wrong with his car and it has only done about 40k.

The system won't let you do that no matter how soon your reminder comes in. If you're taxing from 1st June your MOT must last at least until the 1st June otherwise you're trying to tax a car with no MOT. The only way around this would be to declare SORN for a couple of days and then tax it again before the MOT runs out using the reference number on the V5. 

To be honest if it were me I'd just stick another years MOT on it. 

My Triumph 2000 MOT expires on the 13th May,and the tax on 1st June,i,am HOPING the reminder comes next week so I can tax it,but if it doesnt come before the MOT expires then what happens?
Also when the MOT expires on the 13th do I just let it sit until the 20th May when its MOT exempt then I have to declare it MOT exempt on the DVLA?