40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

That is very interesting. It looks like it is going to put an end to all the dodgy customs that have been built over the last few years as they will no longer be mot exempt even if they were built before 1960. I wonder how my old Hotchkiss will get on as it had been radically altered but only the bodywork. Apparently if the mods were done pre 1988 they are ok though. How you prove that god knows.

Also, I don't think prices will be affected too much by the change. Pre-1960 chod, which I have an interest in, doesn't seem to have been affected pricewise. Having said that, cars of that era aren't as suitable for daily use or motorway driving. I do think its a bit nuts though as anything from the 1970s on is basically a 'modern' car in the way it performs and drives.

Flippin heck man. I don't think I'm responsible enough not to take advantage of this in a reckless way. 

Does it mention when it will come into effect? Hopefully before the DAF needs it's MOT in March or whatever!

Also, I was gonna save up and get the Fiat X1/9 welded but I may as well wait until it's 40 years old instead.. 

I'm joking obvss... (am I)?

From a selfish perspective this makes sense. The AMC barely scrapes it on parking brake each year, and only passes cos the tester is my age. In fact the parking brake is no worse than many much newer BMWs and Rover 75s

I will see if I can get an inspection done, but the MOT on a car that does a few hundred miles a year is overkill imho

Most Tory politicians probably have a Bentley tucked away, niggling them for £40 a year plus the inconvenience of needing to head back to the house in the country, then factor in all the paperwork of having to put it on expenses.

Problem solved. 

Well, it'll save me a bit of cash on two of my cars. It'll also mean, assuming it goes ahead from May next year, that this will be the last MOT the Mercury has to go through and I'll never have to worry about my headlight 'issue' again!

Tbh, I think it's a good idea given I do only a few thousand miles at most in my eligible cars so the MOT every year is a bit over the top on them.

The thing I worry about though is if it's used as a method or excuse to limit the use of old cars. It most likely won't but...

The other reason that I'm super excited about this is that it gives me hope that My A1 motorcycle licence can be upgraded to an unrestricted one by doing a training day as set out in this proposal: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvsa-sets-out-proposals-to-improve-motorcycle-training

I'm not sure any MOT exemption is a great idea.   I'm imagine statistically it doesn't make much difference in terms of safety, hardly anyone does a significant mileage in a classic that old after all.   But personally, I like the security (possibly false) of having someone better qualified than me having a check over the car once a year.   I would likely still put my cars in for a test in any case, it's a cheap check.

Can't see how it could limit the use of old cars unless they were to link it to the low emissions zones but who wants to drive there anyway?

Can someone explain the worry about controlling the use of older vehicles? I'm being thick.

The powers that be might turn around and say, 'you don't pay tax, you don't have MOT's, you pollute. So you can only do X amount of miles a year as a result'.

It probably won't happen but it's always a worry for me.

So, say as a safety precaution, you took your vehicle in for an MOT test and it failed, but on something that you deemed not to matter, presumably you could still drive it on the road, but should you be stopped would they have proof that it was unroadworthy? Indeed would a fail come up on an ANPR or whatnot? It would be a damn shame if that discouraged people from getting a self imposed test. 

Appease classic car owners by loosening the law on MOT, tax and then kick them in the balls by introducing more restrictions on when and where those cars can be used in the name of being green or safety.

Yep just like the old style Club Rego or Historic plates in Aus, you can only use your car on so many days a year only travel to authorised events need to keep a record of all journeys in a book etc the EU would love it all those polluting old vehicles forced off the roads - they're all unsafe you know they can't even MOT them etc etc etc

More likely to be you can't go into X areas and you can only use said vehicles at Y times, imo

Well if the new London ultra low emission zone is anything to go buy, which is very strict, historic tax class vehicles are exempt. 

So, say as a safety precaution, you took your vehicle in for an MOT test and it failed, but on something that you deemed not to matter, presumably you could still drive it on the road, but should you be stopped would they have proof that it was unroadworthy? Indeed would a fail come up on an ANPR or whatnot? It would be a damn shame if that discouraged people from getting a self imposed test. 

If your car failed an MoT, it failed an MoT and can't be driven on the road, is it really that difficult?

Thanks God soon the majority of my cars don't need an MoT anymore!

Yippeee!