Van-based car suggestions, please?

MrDuke

So, after spending a very active 70+ years trying to avoid back problems, Mutha_Duke has finally been overtaken by them (two herniated discs and a spinal nerve cyst... so far...) and is really struggling with her mobility. Their current ride is an A-class which they've had for years, despite it being a horrible money pit, and even though it's fairly tall she struggles to get in and out - I'm also pretty sure that the harsh ride and hard seats are causing further discomfort although she won't admit it. For some reason they don't qualify for a mobility car, and are on a very low income, so are fairly limited in options.

I'm thinking that a older Berlingo/Kangoo/Doblo/etc/etc might be the answer, but have absolutely no knowledge of them at all. Are there any variants that should be avoided like the plague? Are any of them markedly better than the others? Are they reasonably OK to drive and comfy to be in?

Their only requirements are an autobox, power steering, and enough luggage space for a (folded) wheelchair without losing any seats. Their budget is very low, although there's some value in the A-class I guess. Any advice?

can-you-guess-what-it-is-yet.jpg

zafoffside.jpg

Cheers for the suggestions chaps. They'd probably want to steer clear of Scenics as they had grief with one in the past, and the thought of used Picassos fills me with dread.... Berlingo looks promising though, I'm assuming they're XUD or HDi?

Some years ago I suffered with severe groin strain, getting into, out of, and using the clutch in my Land Rover 109 and Rover Metro was a  painful experience. Fortunately I also owned a Volvo 940 Auto Estate, which was both easy to access and exit. Very comfortable ride and large carrying capacity, only downside was fuel consumption of about 23 mpg local.

Early Berlingos are n/a XUD, or 1.4 or 1.8 pez, possibly with a 1.6pez? Slightly later ones are available with 1.9DW8 or 2.0HDi diesels.

Can't say I've ever seen an auto.

They are GR12, all diesels are pretty tough and I imagine the petrols too. They don't seem to rust and the only thing to really watch out for on a cheap one is the rear axle, lots of camber, or one wheel worse than the other means the axle needs replacing which is about £5-600 if you're paying someone to do it.

I must also add that they're not that high up, from the b-pillar forward they're a slightly widened 306, so if the seat needs to be high it may not be the best choice.

Damn - I did notice the few autos on eBay were new-shape and wondered whether it was ever a thing on the old ones, so that's off the list.

It's not so much the height of the seat (although that is a consideration), it's the height of the roof and A-pillar so she doesn't have to bend/twist too much.

I'm now going off on a slightly stupid tangent, but.... are there any Jap offerings that spring to mind? Like the plethora of miniature day-vans they did through the 90s and 00s, but it would ideally need to be a UKDM model with non-wallet-rapey spares. Although I'm guessing most of them were sub-30mpg so maybe not ideal? Mazda Bongos seem to come up occasionally - anyone had any experience of them?

I'm now going off on a slightly stupid tangent, but.... are there any Jap offerings that spring to mind? Like the plethora of miniature day-vans they did through the 90s and 00s, but it would ideally need to be a UKDM model with non-wallet-rapey spares. Although I'm guessing most of them were sub-30mpg so maybe not ideal? Mazda Bongos seem to come up occasionally - anyone had any experience of them?

Bongo/Ford Freda is overkill, they're Previa sized eight seater day vans really. Oh, and they're £2-4000. And not UKDM.

You might however like the Yaris Verso.

t_1835-.jpg

Diesel you say?

Automatic you say?

Step this way and let me show you the EV2... DW10 HDi engine  - main issue with these is the cam belt snapping at anything from 40 to 50K miles due to rainwater running off the screen and into the cam belt cover. Post 2007 cars should have the rainwater mod that does away with that risk.

Whilst they look big they are only slightly larger than the new Berlingo M-Space in terms of footprint.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My missus has more issues with her back ( Scoliosis, alk-spondylosis and strojens) than you can shake a shitty stick at, but even she emerged without any bad pain after a recent 400 mile trip. It is like a lounge with a turbo charged engine.

Totally flat floor inside makes life easy too.

My late father has masses of problems with his back and hips, had two Ford Fusions as Motability cars and never had issues getting in or out of them. Really practical things as well. Never had a spot of bother with either, though they were a bit thirsty with the 1.6 petrol.

Obviously these were only on 3-year contracts so can't speak for longer term reliability etc.

What they need is a certain ease of entry, so the level of the seat compared to ground level is of major importance. As someone who is of a certain age, as they like to say, I am looking to the future of my, erm, driving experience by lifting my car derived van by 2 inches  to allow the perfect height for bum slidage.

Many have said, well at least 3, ooh! you want to lower that. To which I say, no no, There will be no slidage in my advanced years.

Mind you I don't reckon  they would go for a 305. The lift cost on mine is not quite defined yet but I'm looking at £400.

Must be able to do that with any thing for not a lot. Then you widen the choice of chod for the less agile among us.

If you are after something higher up, I wouldn't have thought a Berlingo or a Kangoo would be any good.

I have had both as work vans and every single elderly customer I have collected or dropped back in both vans struggle like hell getting in and out of them.

Just sayin like

What about a first generation C-max? It's a Focus so good to drive, should be plenty of choice. Get a pez one to avoid any TDCi related problems. Only downside will be relatively high road tax on a 1.8 or 2.0 auto.

My brother has a 2.0 pez auto. It shat its gearbox at about 60,000 miles (or something like that, it wasn't high mileage at all). Apparently it's a known fault with the (Mazda) box. Cost him over a grand to fit a new one with an updated part which apparently cures the problem.

Other than that it's nice, so if you could find one that's already had an upgraded box you'd be good I suppose!