Who is paying the most for Vehicle Excise Duty (Road tax!!!)

Heidel_Kakao

As I am currently paying to tax three cars via monthly direct debit I got to idly wondering who is paying the most to keep their cars on the road? All mine are over 1.6 litres so I am paying three times £21.43 which equals £64.29. If I keep that up for a whole year that's £771.48 :(

This may be a depressing thread for some as I find myself thinking it's pointless to pay this much in VED when I have no need to have three cars on the road. I can see the attraction of having cars older than 40 years now to get the free road tax.

Mercury - £free

Capri - £free

Transit £245 per year

Volvo £245 per year

Total for me £490 a year.

I always do mine for a year as it works out cheaper but also gets rid of it for the longest period of time.

There's a lot to love about free tax on historic vehicles! I get to run a 7.0 V8 for nothing in tax! Having two out of four cars £free has also saved me another £490 a year too.

2 x 21 for me - VW T25 and 190E.   Direct debit monthly is one of the few beneficial things that have happened in the 21st century.   Its even better than the old 3 month system because I can lay up the van for as short or long a period as I like over the winter knowing its a quick tax online if I suddenly need it. 

2 x tax free.    

Best thing is whenever I get a postal reminder now, I know its for one of the freebies!

I always do mine for a year as it works out cheaper but also gets rid of it for the longest period of time.

I always used to do mine annually & it does make sense for stuff that you are keeping long term and will be using all year round. Now though when I get a new car & am not likely to keep it long I find it easier to do the monthly DD as you don't have that initial cost up front and it makes it easier to cancel later and not have to bother paying in the refund cheque they send.

I should be paying €1080+€1080+€514 for three cars that have a combined value of about the same as the price of the annual motor tax

But that's robbery so I have a 3 months tax, three months no tax rule; I've never had a car seized to date and when I do it'll cost €125 plus 3 months back tax; ANPR will fuck that one up though if ever introduced though

tbh, I'd prefer just to have them all taxed constantly (checkpoints would be rare enough, and if everything else is in order and you look alright, I've only ever had a reminder to tax it) but 2500 a year is too much to bear atm

I should be paying €1080+€1080+€514 for three cars that have a combined value of about the same as the price of the annual motor tax

But that's robbery so I have a 3 months tax, three months no tax rule; I've never had a car seized to date and when I do it'll cost €125 plus 3 months back tax; ANPR will fuck that one up though if ever introduced though

tbh, I'd prefer just to have them all taxed constantly (checkpoints would be rare enough, and if everything else is in order and you look alright, I've only ever had a reminder to tax it) but 2500 a year is too much to bear atm

Friend has r80 BMW bike 86

He says he's never taxed it and he's been told if they do catch him he'd only pay the arrears 30 years at 80 yo is quite a lot lol

New range Rover 2300€

Calling Six-cylinder!!!

This is a game I do not want to win!

Currently

free tax x6

2001 - 2006 large engine £305 x3

pre 2001 large engine £245 x9

pre 2001 small engine £150 x4

sorn x21

This does not tell the whole picture because I will SORN a number of cars later this month for the winter.

Arosa £12.68

Gaylander £23.62

307 £18.37

206 £18.37

E34 £21.43

V70 £16.18

So that's £92.28 , but the thing is the 206CC and E34 were both sold last month- just cancelled DD, now to phone DVLA!!

I love the monthly thing and particularly like that the car that does 7 or 8,000 miles a month only costs £16. Long may the existing unfair* system run.

I was put off swapping the Freelander for an 07 Cayenne by the thought it would be £50 a month to tax.

I'm not adding it up as it just depresses me. 

I live just round the corner from a golf club; £85 per month which is more than £1 for every little ball you knock into a slightly larger hole.

Local freebie paper reviews a Louisiana* style* chain restaurant. Meal for two: £60.95

Mercedes C class PCP : £299 per month plus (unspecified) deposit

Cheer up :)