I've got 9000 problems but the Saab ain't one. The test results are in...

brownnova

Excllent, excellent work there! That auto shifter looks very strange.

Its one of a very few things I dislike about my 9000 (previously owned by Vantman) The overly complex heating/ventilation system I'm getting used to. As a new car the 9000 was an expensive folly, as a, now 25yr old it is something of a find.

I went out and bought this a battery today as it’s original wouldn’t charge so we binned it at source and used my 206’s one.

This led to me being able to check things over on project Björnadette.

There is a delicious irony in discovering that some parts of your project car work better than the car you drive every day!

All the main things work well. It started instantly, and idled well. Lights and other electrical things all function properly, and it all seems in good order. A torchlight search underneath revealed nothing too untoward, and indeed things like brake lines etc looked quite new.

So might book this in for MoT and see how we get on... or is that over ambitious?!

Hmmm...

Just spotted something odd....

On the V5C the car is listed as a Saab 9000 CD Carlsson Turbo

But it’s a hatchback so therefore a CS. I also don’t think it’s a Carlsson Turbo... wouldn’t it have a bit of a body kit?

Here’s hoping whenever the V5 arrives the VIN matches!!!

Anyone know a way of finding the details for the vehicle from the VIN....?

Sixth digit of the VIN gives the number of doors. 4=4dr CD, 5= 5dr CC, 6= 5dr CS

Scan is from a 1995 9000 Handbook, plus some extra info:

5, Model series is a (meaningless) check digit, to 1994. 

6, 5= 5door (CC) -original hatchback

8, Engine Type 

D= 2.0i

L=2.0Turbo

T=2.0Turbo low boost pressure

10, Model year

G=1986

H=1987

J=1988

K=1989

L=1990

M=1991

N=192

P=1993

R=1994

S=1995

T=1996

V=1997

W=1998

post-20736-0-91777600-1539726321_thumb.jpg

Interesting thanks, so all the info I can glean is the same as what I originally thought, it’s a 2.0 lpt. Year of manufacture/engine capacity on the VIN matches the log book.

But that wouldn’t have been a Carlsson... would it? And certainly it’s not a CD...

Curious...

Looks like it was registered incorrectly when first UK registered, either by the SAAB dealer, or as a personal import. Definitely a CS, not CD- looks like a standard 1996 CS model. New Carlssons were long gone (last ones 1992?), and replaced by Aero by then.  

CD Carlsson would be a full-pressure turbo (ether 2.0 or 2.3 depending on year) 4-dr saloon, usually fitted with a very eighties body-colour bodykit, spoiler etc. CS Carlssons did exist briefly (1992 only?), and came without a bodykit.

Curious indeed.

Looks like it was registered incorrectly when first UK registered, either by the SAAB dealer, or as a personal import. Definitely a CS, not CD- looks like a standard 1996 CS model. New Carlssons were long gone (last ones 1992?), and replaced by Aero by then.

CD Carlsson would be a full-pressure turbo (ether 2.0 or 2.3 depending on year) 4-dr saloon, usually fitted with a very eighties body-colour bodykit, spoiler etc. CS Carlssons did exist briefly (1992 only?), and came without a bodykit.

Curious indeed.

I’m thinking (hoping) it’s been incorrectly registered, and it’s that simple.

The MoT certificates back to 2009 have the same reg no vin combo I have on the car, so I suspect it’s been registered incorrectly.

I mean... if it were a 9000 CD Carlsson (which it’s very obviously not) I’d be pretty chuffed! But I’m pretty pleased with my nice (if ropey looking) standard 9000 project.

• 2 weeks later...

An update!!!

Log book shows right VIN number, so must be incorrectly registered... not a bother. Log book has also revealed this to be a former write off... wasn’t aware of/expecting that one hmmm....

Safely buoyed by that knowledge I took the plunge and booked an MoT. I decided that this would seal the car’s date either way. Would she be a parts source for my higher mileage but probably overall better 9000 or would she be fixable and pressed into service?

Ahead of the test I swapped one of the wheels for a spare I had as the tyre was badly perished, knowing the one I was putting on was low on tread. I also foreknew that she would fail as the ABS light was on. The exhaust sounds fruity so another expected fail point there...

The drive down was exciting, the first time this Björnadette has turned a wheel on I’m the open road in two years. Engine wise spot on, brakes suffered from lack of use but a few bits of sharp braking soon had them functioning well. The exhaust was sounding worse though...

It also seems down on power compared to my other one, I’m not sure the turbo is functioning properly... I’ll add it to the list. So what is the list?

post-18217-0-65474800-1540934312_thumb.png

post-18217-0-05263500-1540934392_thumb.png

Not too horrendous really, first stop is to investigate the ABS light. If that’s easy then the others are not too bad to fix. back brakes look crusty, might go for new discs and pads to cure the service brake issue. Exhaust is to be expected, but the cat is fine thankfully. And the headlight!!! I bloody checked that and it worked before the test... the only one ill have to farm out is the brake pipe. But that’s not a massive job.

Verdict? Probably worth saving I think. Bodywork needs a lot of work tidying, but it’s a good car overall and I’d feel a bit wrong harvesting it for parts... tester himself said it’ll be a good one once it’s done...

So plugged the OBD reader in... (once I found the fuggin socket which was in fact in a really obvious place) aaaand...

No fault codes....

Bloody ABS light... can’t I just take the bulb out?

In other news after me saying I thought the brake lines looked ok in a previous post and then it failing on brake lines I went underneath and have to say he’s been picky there.... I’ve had worse pass no problems. Maybe Shultz them up as they’re certainly solid...

You'll need a Tech2 to read the ABS codes, but first thing to check is resistance of the ABS sensors -each should be 1075-1100 ohms. Tip the back seat cushion up & prise out two rectangular foam bungs for rear plugs. Fronts are under the plastic false scuttle over the heater/ wiper motor. Different sensors F/R & L/R, fittings at the hubs are the same 1990-98, plugs changed 1995/96 but can be cut off and swapped to suit. Black plugs to 95, brown 96 on. Used ones are getting a bit scarce now (difficult to remove in one piece) but NOS SAAB or ATE pop up from time to time, loads of "cheap" aftermarket ones out there too.

Lambda could just be the exhaust leak? I've had a couple of reasonably priced Polish middle & tail pipes and "B&M catalysts" flexi pipes off ebay, which seem good quality and fit OK. The "included in the price" Polish rubbers are crap though.

If the headlamp isn't the bulb or fuse, remove the orange bulb out "relay" in the underbonnet fusebox and resolder the internal joints. Very common failure on 9000s. And GM 900/9-3 & 9-5 -all use same "relay".

Discs, pads (and calipers) aren't too bad from brakesinternational

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Saab/9000/84-98/9000%202.0%20&%202.3%20INC%20CD%20Turbo%20&%2016V/

From my dim and distant past with 9000's, sure there was a way to read the ABS codes.

Doing something with something, makes something flash. The number of flashes dictates which sensor. (aware that is of no use whatsoever, but its all that I can recall)

Here we go:

https://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/76768-ABS-fault-codes-and-procedure

Just as I described...... :)

From my dim and distant past with 9000's, sure there was a way to read the ABS codes.

Doing something with something, makes something flash. The number of flashes dictates which sensor. (aware that is of no use whatsoever, but its all that I can recall)

Here we go:

https://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/76768-ABS-fault-codes-and-procedure

Just as I described...... :)

Think this only applies to early cars. Something like 1990-91.