I've got 9000 problems but the Saab ain't one. The test results are in...

brownnova

Grand cars these,

Had a 'C plate' flat front 9000i which lasted quite a while, replaced with a 'H plate' slope front 9000S with leather and all the toys, this one died after blowing its gearbox.

Clutch is a bitch on these - slave cylinder is in the box too, as you have to drop the subframe to get the box out, however Saab provided a subframe that handily folds in half to make it a little easier.

That's a good buy,9000s are super cars,I am hoping to buy my 9th one very soon. I also know of a 9000 CSE Anniversary that may be being broken sometime soon which is one of my old ones.

One of your old ones, spotted in Folkestone last autumn:

post-4796-0-22614800-1505317120_thumb.jpg

I hope it's not the one that's being broken. It looked really good.

Aye, more pics - interior if poss.

post-4845-0-78718000-1505318107_thumb.jpg

That ad is a lovely piss-take of Volvo's own in the 80s, when they'd pile their products on top of each other to explain their safety.

CAR magazine were banned for ages from using Volvo's press cars for daring to suggest they had few other virtues.

I've had 3 9000's, a flat front turbo, Aero and a 2.0 lpt Anniversary. 

If I'd never owned them, I'd probably live now in a better house and be retired with money in the bank.  All achieved huge mileages but at huge cost.  You don't get any niggling little faults with a Saab 9000, just big expensive ones.

They drive and handle like nothing else, they roll like buggery but have great grip.  I always felt really safe in mine.  But surprisingly crap in the snow, due to wide tyres?

But like an affair with that bad woman who will suck you dry (!?) and leave you ruined, I'd have a nice late one tomorrow, well done to you Sir!

My ambition has always been to have the oldest car in the staff car park... imagine my horror to find....

post-18217-0-26251400-1505760479_thumb.jpg

It was just visiting I think though....

But this reminded me that I was going to pop a few more pics up... so here goes...

post-18217-0-90635700-1505760537_thumb.jpg

post-18217-0-97765100-1505760584_thumb.jpg

Yep check out my epic number plate (on supplying dealer plates....)

And interior... so lovely and comfy...

post-18217-0-78496700-1505760650_thumb.jpg

Even with cassette player and retro phone holder!

post-18217-0-64978500-1505760746_thumb.jpg

To be honest I really do like this one.... But as my wife says... "you have a thing about novelty...."

• 3 weeks later...

So... the honeymoon period lasted about 400 miles. A slight stutter when started from tepid appeared. It cleared after a couple of minutes.

Then on Tuesday it started stuttering just as I was arriving in work. I went out to check it in the afternoon and it was running like a bag of spanners. Misfiring.

Fine all the way home Tuesday. So drive Mrs_brownnova's car Wednesday (which is developing its own spark related issues). But yesterday it misfired all the way to and from work. Bugger.

I'm suspecting the ignition cassette. They're not the most robust by all accounts. So will have a tinker on the weekend. If the bloody rain ever stops...

Was bound to have a few teething problems I guess after having been sat for a bit. Still already in my top 4 cars I've owned if all time...

Probably the DI cassette yeah. Dead easy to remove and inspect. Remove the bottom plastic and check for cracks. Only replace with genuine though. If you ever tip it upside down or sideways, leave it half hour when fitted back in to let the oil in it rest to the bottom.

Also check that the plugs are in good nick too. Need to be the correct ones. Decent and correct plugs are critical on these as it uses them and the DI cassette as sensors.

Decent replacement DIC aren't cheap though.

I love SAABs. I had a lovely 900 in red for a while and a variety of others but then came the day I got a 9000. It was a high spec one with turbo and leather and electric everything (CSE?) and automatic. Nothing worked!

The power steering used to randomly disappear when cornering, the turbo sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, the windows had minds of their own... mind you, it did cost a lot of dough ... £40!

I loved it though. It was a belter of a car and if you ignored all the above, rapid and fun to drive.

• 1 year later...

A little while ago I posted this in my spotted thread...

post-18217-0-42916000-1539376339_thumb.jpeg

Now it’s always been an ambition of mine to buy a car I’ve foubd festering on a drive, so imagine my glee when One day I was driving home from work when I saw a chap outside the house, so I pulled in to ask about it. Turns out it wasn’t his, so I left my number and said that if the owner ever wanted to sell to let me know.

That same evening I got a call to say he wanted to sell...

Excellent! Why have one Saaab 9000 when you can have two!!!

So today was collection day, and not even a storm named after a teenage chav could stop us. Two collection plans stood ahead of us. Either we towed it up the shorter main road, or we swapped plates with my existing dark red Saab and drive it back on the back roads... the first plan won out on purely legal grounds...

So we popped the few miles to pick her up, and news was good. The p.o. had shifted the car into a more convenient spot, so start drive stops ok.

We hooked up the tow rope, stuck it in neutral and off we went down a massive hill....

No mishaps later we arrived home. Huzzah!

post-18217-0-99410200-1539376615_thumb.jpeg

So what is it? Another 9000, 1995 but same 2.0lpt engine.

post-18217-0-96278900-1539376405_thumb.jpeg

Has cow skin interior...

post-18217-0-93325300-1539376772_thumb.jpeg

Has not got proper gearstick

post-18217-0-51391000-1539376840_thumb.jpeg

Worst of the grot:

post-18217-0-55564300-1539376894_thumb.jpeg

Paint work not the best...

post-18217-0-10893600-1539376929_thumb.jpeg

But for a car which hadn’t turned a wheel on her majesty’s highways for two years it did all that it should’ve done on the brief test drive on a “private road” which was at the end of the short tow home. The story is that it was an old giffers car which he had off the son. The son had maintained it and the dad used it occasionally. Sadly the dad died and the son had no use for it. So it sat festering... until today!

Methinks I might be a bit excited here:

post-18217-0-07435900-1539376958_thumb.jpeg

Plan is to check it all over and bung it in for an MoT and see what pops out. ABS light is on so there’s one thing, there will be others. Does seem a little down on power compared to my other one, but that could well be lack of use.

Oh God don’t tempt me.....

We now have Björn, Bjornadette and a third (a CD salooon no less) we already have a name for...

It would be Christian.... as in Björn again Christian....

I agree, it does. Are you coming to Eddyfest? I think we need to talk...

Sadly as it falls on my birthday and there are other plans... I am tempted to abandon the other plans and motor on up though it has to be said!!

However, Björnadette won’t be ready for the road by then. Busy week this week, but hopefully chance for the once over troubleshoot anything obvious. Drive her to an MoT next week giving me and the gf half term to do whatever work she fails on.

That’s the plan.