Goodwood Revival

seth

Some photos from Sunday at the Goodwood Revival, our first visit for four years. It meant a 6am departure from home to get there soon after 8 and make the best of the weather which we knew would turn sour.

Warning- Adult Content: This thread contains photos of adults (and some children) enjoying themselves at a brilliantly organised and themed event. Some of them might even be posh. You have been warned.

We followed this MG the last 15 miles or so in. He did say he hoped nothing had fallen off into our path.

GWoodRevival17-001.jpg

GWoodRevival17-002.jpg

GWoodRevival17-003.jpg

I realise I have taken photos of this MGB before, because it looks so good on those Borranis rather than the usual chrome wires.

GWoodRevival17-004.jpg

GWoodRevival17-006.jpg

GWoodRevival17-008.jpg

Round the corner from Betty's Hair Salon was a food stall 'Betty's Baps' .  But I saw no-one sampling her baps any time we walked past and I felt sorry for the couple of women manning the stall.

GWoodRevival17-009.jpg

Fiat 500 parade was brilliant.

GWoodRevival17-010.jpg

GWoodRevival17-012.jpg

GWoodRevival17-016.jpg

GWoodRevival17-019.jpg

GWoodRevival17-017.jpg

GWoodRevival17-021.jpg

GWoodRevival17-023.jpg

GWoodRevival17-025.jpg

Inside the 'Earls Court motorshow' building were some significant TVRs, prototypes etc. displayed in TVR style.

GWoodRevival17-026.jpg

GWoodRevival17-027.jpg

Factory restorations now all the rage.

GWoodRevival17-028.jpg

Stuff driving to and fro the fueling area in the paddocks.

GWoodRevival17-030.jpg

GWoodRevival17-032.jpg

GWoodRevival17-033.jpg

GWoodRevival17-034.jpg

GWoodRevival17-037.jpg

GWoodRevival17-035.jpg

GWoodRevival17-039.jpg

Two 250LMs and a GTO

GWoodRevival17-040.jpg

GWoodRevival17-042.jpg

GWoodRevival17-043.jpg

Granted these guys were cylcing in the Fiat parade but they had clearly taken styling tips from Jonny69

GWoodRevival17-044.jpg

There was an Italian garage.

GWoodRevival17-045.jpg

GWoodRevival17-046.jpg

GWoodRevival17-047.jpg

This Abarth prototype (on Fiat 850 underpinnings I beleive) was being mostly ignored.

GWoodRevival17-048.jpg

GWoodRevival17-049.jpg

GWoodRevival17-051.jpg

Serious pedalling.

GWoodRevival17-054.jpg

Ah. Proper cars.

GWoodRevival17-058.jpg

GWoodRevival17-061.jpg

GWoodRevival17-062.jpg

GWoodRevival17-065.jpg

GWoodRevival17-068.jpg

GWoodRevival17-070.jpg

Into the car park for a spot of lunch.

GWoodRevival17-071.jpg

Demonstrating that not everything at the Revival need be expensive, here's Mrs_Seth sitting in the boot of the Hillman eating a pot noodle made with water from a flask (and watching West Side Story on the Drive in Movie screen we were by)

GWoodRevival17-072.jpg

GWoodRevival17-074.jpg

GWoodRevival17-075.jpg

GWoodRevival17-076.jpg

GWoodRevival17-078.jpg

GWoodRevival17-079.jpg

GWoodRevival17-082.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-083.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-085.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-086.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-087.jpg

After lunch we went to watch the rest of the hour long 'TT' GT car race.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-098.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-099.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-104.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-110.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-113.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-114.jpg

And then as the rain set in saw the Ecurie Ecosse vehicles before heading under cover for a hot drink and then to the car and home.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-115.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics17/GWoodRevival/GWoodRevival17-116.jpg

Never been as it's so far away but after seeing your pictures I may make the effort next year , mind you ive been saying that about the IOM TT since I was 18.

A guy I know went to the TT in the 80s with some other mates on bikes on spec nothing booked with a it'll be ok attitude

It wasn't ok , nothing anywhere , all camping fully booked , it got to early evening when they saw a sign in a house window , knocked on the door but he was full , hadn't taken the sign down

He took pity on them as he could see they were desperate, hang on lads the guy next door sometimes let's people stay , I'll ask him

5 mins later, ok you can stay , no noise or late drinking or your out

So they set up camp at the bottom of the garden and kept quiet

Next morning Chris hears a voice , lads , lads are you awake

Oh fuck what have we done so he unzips the flap and the old guy is stood there with a tray full of mugs of tea

Thought you might like a drink, Chris stands up and stood in front of him holding the tea is Norman Wisdom

They were camping in his garden , Chris said he was as nice as you'd expect by the end of the trip he was bringing them bacon butties and wouldn't take a penny off them

Thanks for taking the time seth, some good pictures there. A mate of mine goes every year and I keep threatening to go down myself but never quite get my ducks in a row in time.

Looking at all these people in "fancy dress" has made me realise I basically dress like it's about 1948 anyway most of the time so that's one less thing I'd have to sort out.

I had the pleasure of working there for a couple of years as a paddock marshal. Long hours but still managed to see plenty. Fantastic experience and the racing is fabulous. Would definitely go back. It's a hell of a trip from Fife though...

No way I'd get my wife in a car for that distance , it's probably 5 hours from Warrington with traffic so 8-10 from Fife, it'd have to be either the train or a flight and a rental car

Keeble splumph and the French fiat

OOoof,   I put a positive earth radio in that very Keeble back when it was green !

and what about the Sunbeam Tiger (also green) peeping in from the left of the blue C2 Vette?

looks like a very special Tiger with those wheels and flared arches, Le Mans Lister Tiger ??

any other pics of it ??

I went in '04 when it was still relatively small.  I'd written a 'green ink' email to Craptical Plastics; the editor agreed with my points and sent me a couple of spare press tickets!  The racing was brilliant and I got to chat in the pits with Gerry Marshall, Sir John Whitmore and Stirling Moss.

Great memories.

I haven't been since 2011 when my Anglia was invited to be a part of the 100th anniversary of Ford in Britain so I watched all three days from the comfort of my racing couch. I enjoyed it but some of the driving was piss poor especially by backmarkers who were being lapped. That said I'd like to go again but having had hospitality passes (and other sort of hooky ones a while back) I'd hate to have to pay, lol. Like Mr Chaseracer I have great memories of the event.

My first visit was on a press ticket (and several times after that to FoS) so it was nice having the photographic access but I'm always aware at Goodwood how many people probably haven't paid to get in.  I eventually grew tired of being pressured into taking pictures and having to sort, process etc photos within hours of getting home.  Annoyingly the weather's never been as good as it was that first time and when you've paid the money that is a little frustrating.  But I quite enjoy finding good photographic spots from the public side of things.

Looking at all these people in "fancy dress" has made me realise I basically dress like it's about 1948 anyway most of the time so that's one less thing I'd have to sort out.

Exactly. Its not rocket science to leave the jeans, t shirt and trainers at home and wear something that blends in.  No need for 'fancy dress' as such.

Tune in to a respected motoring journal this time next month for a bug feature on the MG. It was Cecil Kimber's last car, and there's a great story about how the current owner came to discover it

He was telling me it was a factory car as I mentioned the number plate having the same area code (BL) as the Hillman, which was registerd in Reading.  Apparently many of the MGs got that plate code.  Perhaps that was the nearest office to Abingdon though I'd have assumed there was an Oxford one. 

Been seeing my Goodwood pics from 2 years ago this week and very much hankering to return, especially as I'm effectively down the road now. Just the price sadly.... £75 a ticket if you pay proper face value....

Always tempted to just hang about in the car park when the weather is decent though....

Excellent write up - thanks, Seth.

I've been a couple of times and it was fantastic.  They really go that extra mile to get amazing cars on the track, when waiting for one race to start the commentator said over the tannoy "there were only ever 6 Ferraris of this type ever made, and we have 5 of them in this race"

He was telling me it was a factory car as I mentioned the number plate having the same area code (BL) as the Hillman, which was registerd in Reading.  Apparently many of the MGs got that plate code.  Perhaps that was the nearest office to Abingdon though I'd have assumed there was an Oxford one. 

Until 1974 Abingdon was in Berkshire and indeed was historically the seat of that county.   "BL"  was issued to a lot of Works Minis, too, owing to the Special Tuning operations at Abingdon....  

Pre-war, a lot of MGs carried "MG" registrations too - this was because of major distributor University Motors being in the Middlesex county of issue.

I went on Saturday for the first time (Mrs Alusilber got the tickets as a Xmas pressie). Due to missing a train, the shuttle bus from Chichester being stuck in traffic slower than walking pace, and the distractions of being en famille I missed quite a lot of things including the Fiat 500 parade, the entire classic car show area (which appeared to be located in the furthest extremities of "over the road"), the lunchtime air display, and all but two of the actual races (three if you count the Settrington Cup). On the plus side, we genuinely randomly bumped into Edd China after we had missed his official stint at the Mintex stand and Alusilber Jr got a freebie 911 diecast from a nice Porsche man in the Porsche Classic pavilion and a bunch of retro BMW posters from the chap showing off the 6-series cabrio in "Earls Court".

Quite an amazing event though, with way too much to see and do in one day, plus of course the sights and sounds of a great variety of old machinery getting properly caned round the circuit.

I had the pleasure of working there for a couple of years as a paddock marshal. Long hours but still managed to see plenty. Fantastic experience and the racing is fabulous. Would definitely go back. It's a hell of a trip from Fife though...

This is the first one we've missed in about five years. Fabulous. But it's an ever more expensive week from Scotland. A week in the George V wouldn't be any more.

I got in for free a few years ago; wouldn't pay the extortionate fees for it.

Best bit was the flypast by a P47 amongst others, that and the vast array of shite in the car park. I did find the ocean of tweed a bit tedious, if I go again I'm taking a fake grey cat and a baldy head costume and demanding a million dollars or I get the sharks with laser beams out.