Flat Battery advise please. Now Sorted thanks.

Mally

We have a Platinum Prestige Battery, 6 month old bought from reliable shop.

It's used as a spare and likely we let it go completely flat.

Have tried to charge it with a 20 amp charger, nothing!

Have read reports of places trying to dodge the Guarantee if you failed to keep it charged.

Have also seen advice on here re how to get them to start charging again, but I can't find it now.

Will probably take it back in the morning.

Would like advice on my reply if I get a poor response.

Or should I try a way to get it going again first?

My 'smart' charger won't even attempt to start charging a fully flat battery. From memory, it goes into a special desulphating mode if it finds between 7 and 10V when you connect it up. Last time I had a flat battery (can't remember what it was or why it was flat) I bunged my ancient dumb charger on it for an hour. That got the battery up over 10V so it never got the benefit of the smart charger's conditioning mode  :rolleyes: . I seem to remember it worked fine anyway, though.

Do you have a voltmeter which will do 20 V dc ?

What is the voltage of the battery on your 75 without engine running ?            (to check voltmeter works)

Voltage of  "battery of weirdness" with nothing connected to it?                     (to check if has a residual voltage but cannot give current)

Voltage of "battery of weirdness" with your finest SIP Fartmaster connected to it?   (to check if SIP Fartmaster likes your "battery of weirdness")

We had one go off up the wall, it had been charged and was left with the caps off for a while, doing something at the other end of the garage must have created a spark and boom up it went. Luckily it was one of the very rare times there was nothing parked next to it and more importantly nobody got covered in acid.

On a more humourous note I once spilt sulphuric acid on my hand in the lab, instantly put it under the tap, panic started to set it as I realised despite the hi volume of water it's really really starting to burn. It was at about this moment I twigged in my haste to wash it I had turned on the hot tap!