Wiper arm removal - wipers now kaput

stripped fred

You bought the same tool I would recommend. It does need a bit of force sometimes, but I'd wind to tension then use some shock-release freeze spray on it.

I have done exactly that, wound it up as far as i could and used freeze spray and it still didn't shift. Will try the other methods later though. I will get there in the end.

I had a struggle with the Touran, it left behind some sort of soft metal splined bit that was part of the arm, not the spindle. Basically ripped the plastic off and left this metal bit stuck on.

Tried to twist it off with a monkey wrench but obviously it's spined, no twisting possible. Noticed the monkey wrench was eating into it so just kept going until the remainder was so thin it just popped off.

Yes the nut left on a few turns is a good tip, well done for getting it back on though, it looked well ruff BLUD.

not sure if you know this one but if you've ever got to cut down a thread on say threaded bar or a bolt, screw on a nut, even a double nut, set the nut to the length you want to cut, then cut the metal with the nut still on the bit you want to keep. That way round you get a neater finish as the bolt gives you a nice flat surface to cut against and then, when you wind the nut off afterwards, it cuts it's own thread into the metal where you then know it will go into the tapped hole/nut will fit back on, perfectly.

Saved me countless hassle over the years, yet despite me being involved in engineering all these years (over 20 now), I still see countless tradesman ignoring this and trying to file/grind a path in the thread which takes ages and doesn't always work.

seized stuff I have got a puller under tension on the offending bastard. then heated it, then clouted it on the sides. then tightened the puller another half turn then doused it in cold water and repeated.

eventually got the blade of the bottom of a rotary mower.

sometimes though nothing will shift and one part will need to become sacrificial before you wreck the whole thing 

No-one seems to have mentioned my method - lift the wiper arm up and waggle it side-to-side. You have a hell of a lot of leverage at the end furthest from the splines. You may have to stop the wipers half way up the 'screen if they hit the bonnet.

I've tried that numerous times but will give it another go.

Well I've found it quite interesting and appreciate the advice from others. It may not be the biggest job but for me it's been one of the most tricky being a novice.

Fair play though, it's an awfully easy thing to balls up and end up needing a new screen, like I obviously didn't* when I changed my worried blades on my Leon...

A day after it passed its MOT.....

As they were an advisory.....

And I was tired.....

And let the spring tension of the wiper off with no blade on it.....

How bad would that have been???

Thankfully being so experienced** in engineering matters, I didn't actually do that***.

Fair play though, it's an awfully easy thing to balls up and end up needing a new screen, like I obviously didn't* when I changed my worried blades on my Leon...

A day after it passed its MOT.....

As they were an advisory.....

And I was tired.....

And let the spring tension of the wiper off with no blade on it.....

How bad would that have been???

Thankfully being so experienced** in engineering matters, I didn't actually do that***.

Fully comp I hope?

Fuck me isn't this sorted yet, only joking they can be a right twat. If not already suggested :

Get some upward pressure on the arm it then tap the end of the spline at the same time with a panel pin hammer

Failing that heat it gently with a blow torch then douse it in plus gas and try the above again 

Well that was stressful. They started squeaking a bit then stopped altogether driving down the M1. It was chucking it down. I persevered for a while then managed to find some rainx at a garage so applied that. Never used it before. What a difference! I was doing 70mph and could hardly tell it was raining. The last 10 miles though London were harder due to the light reflecting off the screen and I think because I wasn't going very quickly. I've started some new work and have my first training day here tomorrow so glad I made it. My problem is time to fix the bloody thing. Work, kids etc doesn't leave a lot of car tinkering time. I have no choice now though but to get on with it!