Wiper arm removal - wipers now kaput

stripped fred

Had another go at removing the wiper arm from my sharan today. I need to take it off so I can replace the wiper mechanism as I managed to fracture the o/s support. It all started with trying to change the pollen filter but there you go, try and fix one thing and make more work.

I've tried hammers, screwdrivers, crowbars (hence the broken mechanism), plusgas and swearing loudly and nothing's worked. I bought this device hoping it would be the answer but the bar at the top bends and still the little b***ard won't shift. Any suggestions? I did think about heat but I'm likely to cause nore mischief with that method.

post-19517-0-64096900-1505052414_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-84189400-1505052429_thumb.jpg

if I were changing the mechanism anyway I would belt the stud as hard as I could with a decent sized lump hammer.

Heat is no use unless you have oxy acetylene or similar...you need high power to get a LOT of heat into the arm quickly to expand it before everything else heats up too. A blowtorch is unlikely to cut it and will just heat everything else up, melt plastic etc.

if I were changing the mechanism anyway I would belt the stud as hard as I could with a decent sized lump hammer.

Heat is no use unless you have oxy acetylene or similar...you need high power to get a LOT of heat into the arm quickly to expand it before everything else heats up too. A blowtorch is unlikely to cut it and will just heat everything else up, melt plastic etc.

The problem is there's not much room to get a lump hammer in due to the way the bonnet opens. I will rule out heat based on your advice!

You could try boiling a full kettle and pouring it over the arm. It is made of alloy and will expand faster then the steel shaft. Hot water should not do any damage to this.

This method has worked countless times for me.

After you have got the arm off you go and refill the kettle and make yourself a well-deserved brew..

Squirrel2

You could try boiling a full kettle and pouring it over the arm. It is made of alloy and will expand faster then the steel shaft. Hot water should not do any damage to this.

This method has worked countless times for me.

After you have got the arm off you go and refill the kettle and make yourself a well-deserved brew..

Squirrel2

Was going to suggest this along with a small version of a ball-joint splitter tool.

Put the splitter tool on the shaft/wiper arm & wind it up as tight as you can.

Pour the boiling/v.hot water on the wiper arm.

The combination of the expansion of the arm and the tension on it will (almost) always pop it off. Worked on my old 406 that resisted all other tries at it! 

If it's knackered can you not just saw it off?

Had to do this with a track rod end on my ml, in the end had to cut through either side of the thread and break it up, was totally corroded.

Wire brush and copper greased afterwards, sorted.

Same truck would work well on this, a dremmel if available or otherwise even a hacksaw blade up and down on the side of it, may take a while but it will work.

The thread looks totally fucked on the wiper mech now though from the pictures, a good die or you may get away with a file of and hope for the best.

Always leave nuts on a few turns when hitting threads, saves loads of hassle.

Get a medium size pair of water pump pliers . Undo the nut on the shaft until it's flush with the thread . Position the wp pliers so one jaw is under the wiper arm and the other on top of the nut as best you can . Proceed to bray shit out of the upper wp plier jaw until the arm pops loose .

Boiling water helps too . No warranties that you won't miss and crack the screen either . I've never had this method fail . I've also never ever used water pump pliers on a water pump .

Thanks for the advice. I had to call it a day as I wouldn't have had time to replace the mechanism and I need it for work tomorrow. I work very slowly. I also gave the already knackered thread a few more taps with a hammer which meant I couldn't get the nut back on properly so I'm now hoping it stays stuck together until I get chance to have another look. I don't have a tap and die set unfortunately. Didn't think to leave the nut on when hitting it but will try and remember that one!

Will try the boiling water and water pump pliers next time if it doesn't fall off before.

I need to sort my shed and garage out because I spent most of my time looking for tools that I couldn't find.

Sometimes diy maintenance is very frustrating although I did manage to successfully change the oil.

I've also never ever used water pump pliers on a water pump .

I've never worked out how they'd be any use on a water pump!

Mine have been worn out pressing stuck pistons in or pulling them out of brake callipers.

All the good ideas have been shared, so I can only add that I had similar fun* with my sister's A1 rear wiper. So I feel your pain.

I managed it eventually, but it was a buttock-clenching episode, especially as the spindle comes through the glass.

post-1381-0-23494200-1505082560_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-38956900-1505082490_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-45634700-1505082627_thumb.jpg

Oiled up, nut and socket for the hammer taps, grips to pull and wiggle lots...

post-1381-0-93462500-1505082596_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-75776500-1505082660_thumb.jpg

Looking at the new arm I put on it, I theorised that they seize on so badly because the spindle splines cut their own new splines in the soft alloy hole in the wiper arm. The new one came without splines in it.

I know you love* your acronyms, Fred. Here's your new favourite: FFS VAG POS.

The important thing that people fail to understand is the need to vary the sort of levering pressure being applied. This requires broddling! Get a wooden door-wedge, tap it into the gap, then grab the end and make the hand motion you would if finger tightening a nut. It will come off with little if any effort.

You bought the same tool I would recommend. It does need a bit of force sometimes, but I'd wind to tension then use some shock-release freeze spray on it. Put as thick a cloth as you can on the window behind though. Just in case.

I have that tool originally for changing the spark plugs on a Chrysler Voyager, and it's allowed me to have no stress or undue forces when changing seals/wiper parts on a few Mercedes since, so they're a good investment. Useful for things like window winders as well.