Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Lada, Citroen, Sinclair, AC Model 70 - Lada MOT Work: Unobtanium ECU Located...

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:32 AM

Fair enough re vibration/data loss etc.

Nice little scope, got me a Tek 100MHz analog storage scope which works well, but picked up a HP logic analyzer off eBay recently that's a fantastic boon for digital work.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#302 OFFLINE   jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

• Full Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Scope chat! I use a Picoscope 2204 now, such a handy tool.

#303 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 943 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

Some of the stuff you can do with a decent logic analyser (especially if you know how to drive it) is amazing.

Likewise is how capable a lot of the modern digital storage scopes are. Mate of mine has a Rigol 1074Z (I think, may have the model number wrong) and the stuff that thing could do seemed - to someone like me who's grown up with old school scopes - like total witchcraft. Especially when you got into stuff like real-time data packet decoding and math operations. All in one little, totally portable box. Hoping that in a few years time they'll start to trickle down to the third or fourth hand market at prices I can justify.

Some of the PC based ones are actually pretty decent now too - though I'd always be wary of them being left behind by the rate that desktop PCs seem to move on at these days.

...says the guy who has machines still running Windows 3.0, 3.11 and 2000...
  • GrumpiusMaximus likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate. 1975 AC Model 70. 1985 Sinclair C5.

Thanked by 1 Member:
GrumpiusMaximus

#304 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 943 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

Unsurprisingly after 22 years, the low oil level light on my Xantia is somewhat prone to false triggering - especially on warm days.

IMG_20180522_194513.jpg

What really surprised me though is how many cars *still* don't have this facility fitted. They'll tell you if your washer fluid is low, your AdBlue, your headlight washer fluid etc...but no mention of engine oil aside from the pressure light...and when that comes on (especially in a modern car!) it's most likely already too late.

I'll stick with the handful of unscheduled oil checks when the light pings up on startup thanks...it gets checked every week or two anyway.

Suffice to say today's episode was indeed the second time this year it's happened, and she hadn't actually used a drop of oil since the last change.
  • Tadhg Tiogar likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate. 1975 AC Model 70. 1985 Sinclair C5.

#305 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:35 PM

Unsurprisingly after 22 years, the low oil level light on my Xantia is somewhat prone to false triggering - especially on warm days.
attachicon.gifIMG_20180522_194513.jpg
What really surprised me though is how many cars *still* don't have this facility fitted. They'll tell you if your washer fluid is low, your AdBlue, your headlight washer fluid etc...but no mention of engine oil aside from the pressure light...and when that comes on (especially in a modern car!) it's most likely already too late.....

One of the little things about the CX that fascinated me was the little oil level gauge on the right of the instrument pod which springs to life for 15 seconds after turning the key before going back to sleep. I call it the electric dipstick and so far it's been pretty accurate.
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#306 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 943 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 02:37 AM

One of the little things about the CX that fascinated me was the little oil level gauge on the right of the instrument pod which springs to life for 15 seconds after turning the key before going back to sleep. I call it the electric dipstick and so far it's been pretty accurate.

Renault are the only non-PSA manufacturer that I can think of off the top of my head who routinely had a level gauge in their models. Not sure how far back, but my 25 had one, as did a mate's 21 and the 19TD at work...

Wonder if they work on the same principle at the Xantia (and therefore I assume CX) ones. No floats - it uses a heater that's partly submerged in the oil and tracks how rapidly it heats up, then uses that data to work out the level. That's why this one (likewise on my previous TD) only tended to throw the odd false warning generally only in warm weather I think. It struggles with accuracy a bit when the oil temperature is already quite warm. The oil temperature seems far more affected by the ambient temperature than the coolant temperature is.
  • GrumpiusMaximus likes this

#307 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 04:44 AM

All my modem vehicles have a level sensor; they do not employ a gauge but will give a written warning. My truck displays "ENGINE OIL LOW. ADD OIL", along with a pressure gauge.

The ECU knows about all burned bulbs but refuses to give insight into items such as a burned headlight or brake light though.

Win some lose some.

Phil
131372.png

#308 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

• Full Members
  • 727 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationAshford(ish), Kent, UK

Posted Yesterday, 05:54 AM

Mine tells me about low oil before it gets critical.  It is, however, sensitive to oil so finding the right stuff just after the light has flashed up is a pain.  Last time it happened (about six months ago) I just went and bought a bottle of the closest stuff I could find and it only needed a small top-up.  I've changed it all since then anyway.

The number of people that don't know how to check their oil is what really alarms me.

#309 OFFLINE   Saabnut

Saabnut

• Full Members
  • 295 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Posted Yesterday, 08:50 AM

My Bentley (and the Rover P4s) utilise the fuel gauge. Press a button on the dash and the fuel gauge becomes an oil level gauge. Surprisingly accurate too.

• PhilA likes this

#310 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 943 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 01:08 PM

My Bentley (and the Rover P4s) utilise the fuel gauge. Press a button on the dash and the fuel gauge becomes an oil level gauge. Surprisingly accurate too.

Had forgotten that on the Rolls/Bentley having the little oil level marker on the fuel gauge. Granted it's a long time since I was last in one. Don't think I've ever been in a Rover P4...

The old Renault one used to switch to serving as an oil temperature gauge once the engine started didn't they? Usually having a separate backlit scale for the level that went out once the engine started.

#311 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

On cars like the 21 and 25 and 19 I have seen it. My GTA has the same dash but it's fitted with fuel, temp and volts gauges.

Personally I would have preferred an oil pressure gauge...

Phil
131372.png

#312 OFFLINE   Broadsword

Broadsword

• Full Members
  • 177 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM

What really surprised me though is how many cars *still* don't have this facility fitted. They'll tell you if your washer fluid is low, your AdBlue, your headlight washer fluid etc...but no mention of engine oil aside from the pressure light...and when that comes on (especially in a modern car!) it's most likely already too late.

I'll stick with the handful of unscheduled oil checks when the light pings up on startup thanks...it gets checked every week or two anyway.

Suffice to say today's episode was indeed the second time this year it's happened, and she hadn't actually used a drop of oil since the last change.

On my Xantia HDI the oil level light flashes for a short while after startup. I'm assuming it is a false alarm since the car is running brilliantly and oil level is spot on with no oil consumption at all.

• binhoker668 likes this

#313 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 943 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 10:01 PM

On my Xantia HDI the oil level light flashes for a short while after startup. I'm assuming it is a false alarm since the car is running brilliantly and oil level is spot on with no oil consumption at all.

Yep, if it flashes for 30 seconds or so on startup it's reporting low oil level. Seem to recall dead sensors not being unknown...seem to recall it's a pain to get at, so probably not worth faffing with, especially if you're diligent about regular checks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users