Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Lada, Citroen, Sinclair, AC Model 70 - Lada MOT Work: Unobtanium ECU Located...

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,621 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted Yesterday, 02:32 AM

Fair enough re vibration/data loss etc.

Nice little scope, got me a Tek 100MHz analog storage scope which works well, but picked up a HP logic analyzer off eBay recently that's a fantastic boon for digital work.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#302 OFFLINE   jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

• Full Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationThat London

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Scope chat! I use a Picoscope 2204 now, such a handy tool.

#303 ONLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 938 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Some of the stuff you can do with a decent logic analyser (especially if you know how to drive it) is amazing.

Likewise is how capable a lot of the modern digital storage scopes are. Mate of mine has a Rigol 1074Z (I think, may have the model number wrong) and the stuff that thing could do seemed - to someone like me who's grown up with old school scopes - like total witchcraft. Especially when you got into stuff like real-time data packet decoding and math operations. All in one little, totally portable box. Hoping that in a few years time they'll start to trickle down to the third or fourth hand market at prices I can justify.

Some of the PC based ones are actually pretty decent now too - though I'd always be wary of them being left behind by the rate that desktop PCs seem to move on at these days.

...says the guy who has machines still running Windows 3.0, 3.11 and 2000...
  • GrumpiusMaximus likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate. 1975 AC Model 70. 1985 Sinclair C5.

Thanked by 1 Member:
GrumpiusMaximus

#304 ONLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 938 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Today, 07:08 PM

Unsurprisingly after 22 years, the low oil level light on my Xantia is somewhat prone to false triggering - especially on warm days.

IMG_20180522_194513.jpg

What really surprised me though is how many cars *still* don't have this facility fitted. They'll tell you if your washer fluid is low, your AdBlue, your headlight washer fluid etc...but no mention of engine oil aside from the pressure light...and when that comes on (especially in a modern car!) it's most likely already too late.

I'll stick with the handful of unscheduled oil checks when the light pings up on startup thanks...it gets checked every week or two anyway.

Suffice to say today's episode was indeed the second time this year it's happened, and she hadn't actually used a drop of oil since the last change.

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate. 1975 AC Model 70. 1985 Sinclair C5.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

3VOM