Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Lada, Citroen, Mercedes Camper Van, AC Model 70 (x2) - 14/08 - Audio Upgrades...

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,299 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

The one shortcoming found at the weekend with the van was a lack of an audio system from this century.

This was resolved today when I grabbed a modern JVC head unit for it. I've used a fair number of them over the years, and I've never had one of theirs that didn't do what it said on the tin.

IMG_20180814_205340.jpg

It can handle Bluetooth media and phone Comms (the mic is mounted on the underside of the dash by the indicator stalk), which is what I was mainly after, given that most of my music is on Spotify these days when I'm on the go.

Also means I've now got a USB charging socket on the dash without needing ugly adaptors plugged into the cigarette lighter.

The biggest surprise is the audio quality - even through ancient, tiny Radiomobile speakers. This is likely down to clever DSP being done onboard with the processing power available these days. It lets you program in the speaker driver size, location and vehicle type. The difference once that's done is startling!

The nearside one in the cab is buzzing a bit, so those two will need to be replaced, though I reckon it may be a challenge due to the limited depth available in the original speaker boxes. I'm hoping to retain those and the original grills if at all possible.

Definitely a worthy addition to the onboard kit I think.
  • mat_the_cat, Keymaster, RayMK and 1 other like this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

#542 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,299 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 PM

Unexciting update.

Tracked down the source of an engine speed related buzz that started yesterday evening. Wiring loom connector had got wedged between the air cleaner and the bulkhead behind it.

Topped up the steering box oil, having finally got the correct stuff in stock. 30 second job.

Then drove a other 150 miles or so to visit my Nan and to collect the next patient for my hospital for broken and obsolete tech.

IMG_20180815_213455.jpg

In addition to the usual couple of decades of neglect it's also plainly been dropped at some point. Should be interesting to see if I can sort it.

Yes, these are as heavy as I recall.

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users