Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Lada, Citroen, Mercedes & AC Model 70 (x2) - 9/12 - Invacar Bodywork Plans...

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#751 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

Snapped up by another collector apparently. Still not quite sure how given it sold for a fair chunk below the max bid I'd entered. Not the first time I've had that happen either.

I've had that happen also. How does that work? Too many people place a bid in the last nanosecond and your bids are still in the queue to be processed before the timer expires?

Probably something to do with the use of last-second bidding software.

Phil
  • LightBulbFun likes this
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#752 OFFLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 435 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Snapped up by another collector apparently. Still not quite sure how given it sold for a fair chunk below the max bid I'd entered. Not the first time I've had that happen either.

I would of rung up ebay and given them an earful about it LOL, I do wonder where the hell did it come from, and I hope we are able to get moulds made off of it still.

Some good progress there. Seeing that colour difference on the door reminds me of a question I was going to ask the Invacar experts. Did these things come in different shades of blue? TP and TWC are the colour I remember but the one in that BBC film looks much greener.

AFAIK all invalid carriages where supposed to be the same shade of blue, but i myself have been trying to figure out what that shade is exactly...

the one in the BBC article has obviously been repainted/restored at some point.

#753 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:13 PM

My guess with the eBay thing is exactly what has been suggested.  If there are enough bids that come in at the last second the software trips over itself when trying to process the queue.  While I know if might sometimes cost me a few quid extra, when bidding on stuff I always just put what I'm willing to bid in when I first make the decision to bid.  Then I either win it or don't.  I can't be bothered to sit there until the last nanosecond with my finger hovering over the "bid now" button.

Invacars *should* notionally me all the same pale blue colour.  However between the somewhat lax original quality control where cosmetics were concerned, fact that some were painted while some weren't and variances from those which have been sheltered through the years versus what's been left in the weather has resulted in a range that seems to vary from nearly peppermint green through to a downright vivid electric blue.  Then there are of course those which have been restored and repainted.  I imagine there's mention of the actual colour in industrial terms somewhere in some of the documentation.  Not sure if the RAL/Pantone colour systems existed that far back though...

Even in some period photos it wasn't uncommon to see a huge mismatch in colour from one moulding to another, so chromatic quality control always seems to have been somewhat lacking.

I've finally got two rebuilt doors.

IMG_20181210_160637.jpg

Getting the window runner strip on this side proved to be a massive headache, and I couldn't seem to get the screws to take, even though the same ones worked fine on the other side.  Eventually lost patience and just riveted the damn thing on.  Wish I'd just done that in the first place as it took half the time and has fixed the thing in place way more firmly than the screws did.

I'll have a look at getting the seals refitted tomorrow.  They're currently in the washing machine.  I've historically found that running flattened foam rubber seals like these through a hot wash can often rejuvenate them to nearly as new functionality.  It's worked on several leaky Saabs anyway.

• dollywobbler, PhilA, RayMK and 1 other like this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

#754 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 27,796 posts
  • 84 thanks

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

Ooh, that's a tip worth knowing given I've got both the Invacar and Fox with slidey windows.

• PhilA and LightBulbFun like this

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1984 Reliant Fox

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1994 Skoda Favorit Estate

1999 Daewoo Matiz, 2001 Perodua Nippa

HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#755 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,870 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:39 PM

Ooh, that's a tip worth knowing given I've got both the Invacar and Fox with slidey windows.

It's the door seals I'm referring to here, they've gone quite flat in a few places on mine.  Have got them out now, haven't puffed back up as well as the old Saab ones did, but a lot better than they were.  Plus they are now devoid of that horrible black greasy residue that old seals always seem to be covered with, so they won't make such a mess of me when I fit them.  Will try to get those back on tomorrow and get the latches adjusted as best as possible.  That should go a decent ways to making the thing *vaguely* weather proof.

I suspect I need to apply a little carefully calibrated brute force to the window frame on the offside door.  Looking at the glass it looks as though the top needs to be pushed back a little.

IMG_20181210_160651.jpg

Not going for Audi levels of panel fit here anyway... I'll take Lada levels of panel fit.  At the moment you can see daylight at the back corner and the front edge is jammed against the windscreen pillar.

I know  I've said it before and you're probably fed up of hearing it...but I'm really feeling excited at the idea of driving this thing now.  Funny how actually having working doors has somehow made it seem way closer to being an actual working car. 

Our post man apparently is quite a fan of three wheelers and owns a Rialto.  He couldn't resist taking a glance at it while I was in there today.  His comment: "it's a hell of a lot more sophisticated under the skin than a Reliant ain't it?" especially when he took a look at the rear suspension set up. 

I'm also glad to have rediscovered my rivet gun.  I think that's going to take the place of quite a few self tapping screws.  They're nearly as easy to remove with a sharp drill and a hell of a lot quicker to fit - especially where access isn't great.

Before you ask - I stick a penny washer on the back of the panel to spread any load where necessary.

It kinda has brakes now, even though I've not been able to get the one leg of the system bled...I do wonder if I'll be able to resist the temptation to drive around the garden a few times...

• LightBulbFun likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users