Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Lost/Stolen

MGB theft London.

Lost/Stolen

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 4,690 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

From Walton bridge classic car breakfast pages.

Attached Images

• IMG_1638.PNG
  • IMG_1639.JPG

• CheRutty likes this
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#2 OFFLINE   fraser.innes.3

fraser.innes.3

• Full Members
  • 290 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationHerefordshire

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

Can we check SiC's whereabouts on the date this was taken? It will appear in a couple of days missing a fuel tank, a carb and other sundry items :-)

• richardmorris, stripped fred and SiC like this

#3 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 5,712 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

And a set of points.
  • stripped fred likes this

#4 OFFLINE   ianbmw

ianbmw

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

With the amount of ANPR around London and the fact it has white and yellow plates, surly it should be easy enough to trace?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

#5 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,246 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

With the amount of ANPR around London and the fact it has white and yellow plates, surly it should be easy enough to trace?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Unless they put it on a low loader or changed the plates.
2004 VW Sharan 1.9 TDI SL - proving a very capable family wagon
1987 Toyota MR2 mk1 t-bar - currently SORN, need to use it more!

Previously...
2001 Peugeot 406 Estate GLX 2.0 Hdi - sold to a shiter
1993 Vauxhall Astra mk3 1.7D - sold to a shiter
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4Jtd 20v SW - sold to a shiter
2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi - dead, engine problem

#6 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 37,315 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

That's assuming that the total police and surveillance state was introduced for your benefit.

The sad truth is, it wasn't.

• Richard, wuvvum, chaseracer and 18 others like this

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1974 Ford LTD................................................The Green Lean Machine
1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#7 OFFLINE   stripped fred

stripped fred

• Full Members
  • 2,246 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLeicester

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

Must be a terrible feeling to come out to see an empty space where your pride and joy was previously. I wouldn't keep a nice classic on the street though. Worth a few quid and so easy to steal due to limited security. Then again keeping it in a lockup a mile away makes it more difficult to enjoy.
  • richardmorris likes this
2004 VW Sharan 1.9 TDI SL - proving a very capable family wagon
1987 Toyota MR2 mk1 t-bar - currently SORN, need to use it more!

Previously...
2001 Peugeot 406 Estate GLX 2.0 Hdi - sold to a shiter
1993 Vauxhall Astra mk3 1.7D - sold to a shiter
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4Jtd 20v SW - sold to a shiter
2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi - dead, engine problem

#8 OFFLINE   Angrydicky

Angrydicky

• Full Members
  • 4,462 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

Yeah not a lot of choice in most parts of London unless you're loaded. Girlfriend's Mini never turned up, despite us having CCTV of the theft, the reg of the car that towed it away and the police having a good idea who the driver was (a known crim).

Current fleet:
1953 Austin A40 Somerset 
1958 Austin A55 Cambridge

1959 Austin A35 

1980 Vauxhall Royale 2.8 auto

1983 Ford Sierra 1.6 Base (1/5) 

#9 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,493 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

Sad. Especially if someone has had it so long and have fond memories. Looking at the MOT history, it hasn't been a garage queen and sat around for ages either. One that actually got used.

I never thought MGBs would be that desirable to steal, except to nick, rag around and then burn type thefts. However my local Moss branch was telling me that they had a customer's who owned their MGB for the last 30yrs, stolen in Bristol. I guess they must be either stolen for joyriding or rung and resold. It's not like the parts are worth much if stripped for parts and nor are they that strong to be used for banger racing.

Mine hopefully isn't desirable enough to be stolen and I also live down a quiet cul-de-sac. However being quiet can be a negative. So I have since bought a Disklok, park it down the side of the house (too tight to get a lift in) and our Aldi A4 parked in front of it on the drive.

Given the "sports" spec, parts worth and desirable (to most) nature of the Audi, I'd hope they'd choose that first. Also the current immobile nature of my MGB will stop any attempted thefts... :D

Must be absolutely gutting to walk to where you had your pride and joy to find it's gone. A colleague still has her Mini that she restored with her Uncle and was her first car. However that has to live in a family members garage as she dare not leave it on the street near her house in inner-city Bristol.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#10 OFFLINE   Lankytim

Lankytim

• Full Members
  • 6,642 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationSorry, this part is no longer available.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Didn't a writer for Practically Jurassic mag have a B nicked from London decades ago only for it to magically reappear in a lock up 5 years later?

Sorry, useless post but it jogged my memory.

2004 Fiat Multipla JTD, running on Biodiesel

Fecked LDV Pilots.

2005 Volvo S40

#11 OFFLINE   PiperCub

PiperCub

• Full Members
  • 2,094 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationLow & slow right over your head!

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

That's assuming that the total police and surveillance state was introduced for your benefit.

The sad truth is, it wasn't.

Depressingly true statement. 

Never had a vehicle stolen so can only imagine the mix of sadness, loss and downright anger. Cops usually won't do a damn thing unless someone literally holds their hand and takes them to where it's parked up and even then won't want to arrest anyone for it unless said person admits nicking it. 

• strangeangel likes this

#12 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 3,751 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

N reg ? 1974 ? on Chrome Bumpers ? It's a ringer alright. Probably the rightful owner took it back and put his H reg plates back on it.

#13 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 3,751 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

Never had a vehicle stolen so can only imagine the mix of sadness, loss and downright anger. Cops usually won't do a damn thing unless someone literally holds their hand and takes them to where it's parked up and even then won't want to arrest anyone for it unless said person admits nicking it. 

A guy I heard about had to take his three mates around to a blokes house to take his Nova GTE back.  Police were NOT called, by either party, one because he'd stolen it, and the other because he didn't need witnesses to any punishment.  But that's Croxteth for you.

• richardthestag, Banger Kenny, BorniteIdentity and 1 other like this

#14 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 4,690 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

N reg ? 1974 ? on Chrome Bumpers ? It's a ringer alright. Probably the rightful owner took it back and put his H reg plates back on it.

Or it was converted to chrome bumpers when it was painted black, given wire wheels and that dashboard.

Everyone's a cynic!
  • AngusToledo likes this
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#15 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 3,751 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Or it was converted to chrome bumpers when it was painted black, given wire wheels and that dashboard.

Everyone's a cynic!

I was joking, but here's hoping the modifications have been ALL declared to his insurance because they don't joke around if they think they can get out of a claim.

• Banger Kenny, richardmorris and SiC like this

#16 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,493 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

'74 and a N-reg with genuine chrome bumpers from the factory? I know another one like that too. ;)

post-20071-0-38567200-1501188513.jpg
  • Banger Kenny, alf892, theorganist and 6 others like this
Current Fleet:

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#17 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 4,690 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

I prefer yours to be honest. Proper 70s colour!
  • AngusToledo and SiC like this
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#18 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 3,751 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Never had a vehicle stolen so can only imagine the mix of sadness, loss and downright anger.

I once had 4 opel centre caps stolen off a mk3 astra which had 15 inch Calibra Alloys. I don't think I could have been more Angry had they taken the whole car and killed my dog. Weird how we get emotionally attached to objects.

• shumarialto likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Someone pinched my scooter once, I was devastated, mainly because I couldn't get to work.

Police reckon it was escapees from the local prison.

Found it three days later 30 miles away with a flat tyre.

#20 OFFLINE   dodgytom

dodgytom

C LI NT

• Full Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

As I mentioned in another thread;

There was a crashed stolen car outside my place recently. Neighbour had seen the accident and had a good clear photo of the driver. Cops were not interested in speaking to her or viewing the photo

Why would I give my valuable time to people I would much rather kick in the eye?

#21 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 3,782 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

Until I saw "London" in the title I thought SiC had found a convenient solution to his fuel pump problem :D
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
1997 R Rover 216 Cabriolet

#22 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,166 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

As I mentioned in another thread;

There was a crashed stolen car outside my place recently. Neighbour had seen the accident and had a good clear photo of the driver. Cops were not interested in speaking to her or viewing the photo

Not surprised.

#23 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,200 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

my boss had his new 4x4 Calibra stolen from outside our office. it showed up within the hour in a tesco car park without any wheels about a mile away, one of my work colleagues came back from lunch saying it was there! police notified and said they wanted to dust it for prints. an hour later is was gone again. This time it showed up two days later on the side of the a33 with most of the interior missing but had gained a set of wheels. police notified again. this time they were not interested but took a couple of hours to decide. by the time recovery agent (organised by my boss) showed up an hour later is was gone altogether. never to be seen again.

Reckon they did everyone a favour with that. insurance wriggled like fury but paid out in the end. police couldn't have given less of a shit if they tried.

p.s. not police bashing here obviousment got more things improtent to deal wiv etc etc

p.p.s mg is likely in bits by now, classic cars are too hot with social media etc. mark key bits of your car can help ID them when they appear at autojumbles and ebay etc

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily

Pug 307 - son's daily runner

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#24 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

Making Horse noises

• Full Members
  • 3,540 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWith you pair of Pilchards

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

If they have stripped it, hopefully the nob jockeys will start flogging a load of black panels on the bay.

When my mates 306 was nabbed about ten years ago, the police drew a blank until a guy based near where the car went missing started selling panels and parts from a '96 306. Nothing unusual except my mate had a Val d'isere sticker in the rear window which also appeared on the window in the ad.

Police attitude? "He might have been there too mate"

#25 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,493 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

p.p.s mg is likely in bits by now, classic cars are too hot with social media etc. mark key bits of your car can help ID them when they appear at autojumbles and ebay etc

Not sure it's worth the effort to break an MGB. Loads of s/h parts around for them and thus cheap. I reckon it'll be in storage until a knackered black MGB is for sale and bought, then VINs swapped over.
  • New POD likes this
Current Fleet:

#26 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 3,751 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Not sure it's worth the effort to break an MGB. Loads of s/h parts around for them and thus cheap. I reckon it'll be in storage until a knackered black MGB is for sale and bought, then VINs swapped over.

I liked what you said not because I like it, but the fact that it is so true.

• Aston Martin likes this

#27 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 5,508 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

As awful as it is someone's had their pride and joy nicked, can't see it being for a joy ride. It'll be exported at a guess, not a lot of money in breaking an MGB, the folks doing that are breaking into people's houses, taking keys to Focus RS, Mercs and Late VWs, something a days work will quickly yield a couple of grand from eBay and taxi drivers.

#28 ONLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 2,707 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

I had a Manta pinched by someone with a beavertail a few years ago
Pulled into the private car park for my block of flats,hooked up and hauled it away
When a fellow blockmate asked she was told I had phoned them to take it for scrap....
Anyhow a year later a set of Exclusive seats go up on eBay,with a pic of the car to show more parts for sale
Once alerted by a member of the Manta owners club I could see it was my car
Arranged to view the seats,and confirmed it was my pinched car
Didn't say owt to the muppet selling as he had a crusher sat in the yard so popped to the main police station (Shrewsbury) to tell them where it was ect
Took them 6hrs to get down there and seize it whilst conducting inquiries
Got it back but damage it got being forklifts around meant i had lost interest in the car by then

Attached Images

• manta1.jpg
  • manta4.jpg

2x Vivaro vans.....for now amyway

#29 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 430 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

I do wonder if it's worth sticking something like this in my Fiesta:

https://www.gearbest...SAaAvAgEALw_wcB

#30 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

I do wonder if it's worth sticking something like this in my Fiesta:

https://www.gearbest...SAaAvAgEALw_wcB

I'm tempted on my Capri and Mercury. They're both high value classics, the Capri in particular and it's easy to steal.
I never ever leave any of mine apart from the Volvo out on the street or even in car parks. Sadly these days nice things become a target for theft or vandalism. Sad really that's it's like this.
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lost/Stolen

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users