Which engine?

stephen01

Wants wrong with the original engine?

Nothing and would be kept to convert back at any stage. 

The idea of this is not to have something mega quick, I'd only end up stacking it and hurting myself in the process as lets be honest would you really want to smash a 67 herald into anything above 30mph? 

diesel noise would be my biggest concern I'm not sure how much of a difference sound deadening would be? something like this.

sd.jpg 

The herald is essentially a vitesse with a 4 banger, aye?

In that case, a 2.0 BMW m50 or 2.5 m50 would see 150-190bhp and mid 30s easily..

mmmm I do happen to have a 2.0 auto 318 also  8) the only thing missing is the mid 30's! just the 25 mpg knocking about. This would fit the not wanting mega speed also as it's not the fastest car ever! 

mmmm I do happen to have a 2.0 auto 318 also 8) the only thing missing is the mid 30's! just the 25 mpg knocking about. This would fit the not wanting mega speed also as it's not the fastest car ever!

That 318 2.0 is an e46?if so they're not a great lump- much better with an m50 6pot:)

You can get one, And get the ews security removed from the ecu easily enough

Nothing and would be kept to convert back at any stage.

The idea of this is not to have something mega quick, I'd only end up stacking it and hurting myself in the process as lets be honest would you really want to smash a 67 herald into anything above 30mph?

diesel noise would be my biggest concern I'm not sure how much of a difference sound deadening would be? something like this.

sd.jpg

Good that you'd be able to change it back but really in a car that old that's got all the original bits and your not going to retro rides it to death or go mega fast (which I don't blame you) why bother at all?

I mean it's money, work and arseing about when really this should be an opportunity to buy yet another car! That way you get the engine you want, might not die if you hit some dust and the ability to confuse people when they ask how many cars you've got.

If there's nothing wrong with the original engine I wouldn't change it. You will lose a lot of the character of the car and there will be no real benefit as you don't want any more power and economy and not that important unless you're doing a lot of miles. Petrol will be around for a while longer. I think you might tire of a rattly diesel in a car like this. Will shake it to bits!

I can see your reasoning but I wouldn't bother at the moment. Wait until leaf's are £2k as you suggested as that makes more sense for future proofing.

If you're getting an engine with similar power, you need one that develops that power at about the same revs or the gearing won't work.  This is where a modernish diesel is a good transplant for an old petrol engine, peak power is about 4000 - 4500rpm.

Or if you're going for a more powerful engine, you need to check it makes more than Triumph Herald power at the Herald's revs.

What I said up there ^^ about half shafts. I wasn't joking.

Triumph did a few upgrades for the Vitesse/GT6 which you would have to do as well. Otherwise forget it. Almost every engine you are considering will have far more torque.

My 1300TC has a mildly tuned original engine. The TC has a Spitfire spec engine which I've had lightened and balanced with bigger carbs and bespoke exhaust. It did this.

post-20743-0-47028000-1504972820_thumb.jpg.

Oh and that soundproofing stuff is a waste of time too. I did mine and it's still noisy as hell. Wish I'd never bothered as all it's really doing is adding weight and can't remove it as it's basically a thin layer of tar with a plastic sheet over the top. And god help me if I ever need to weld anywhere near the stuff.

What I said up there ^^ about half shafts. I wasn't joking.

Triumph did a few upgrades for the Vitesse/GT6 which you would have to do as well. Otherwise forget it. Almost every engine you are considering will have far more torque.

My 1300TC has a mildly tuned original engine. The TC has a Spitfire spec engine which I've had lightened and balanced with bigger carbs and bespoke exhaust. It did this.

DSC02880.JPG.

Heralds do need a better engine.

The correct swap is of course a Triumph six cylinder. It belongs in there, is easy and non-controversial to fit in there and, above all, has the correct number and configuration of cylinders.

A straight six, any straight six, is worlds better than any four cylinder, however modern. Better straight sixes are of course available, but all would be much more work than the Triumph.

Sorry but I don't see the point of this entire thread.  If you like Heralds but want more poke buy a Vitesse.  If you want the economy of an XUD then buy a 205/ZX/305 whatever; where that engine is supposed to be.

And if you like old cars then just keep the Herald as it is.

I like Heralds and most PSA XUD cars, but wouldn't think of combining the two.

What are your objectives? If it's for a bit of fun then K-series or Jap engine makes sense. If you're after a tax-exempt classic which isn't reliant on govtax fuel in the longer term (which could be silly prices by 2030 and in affordable by 2040 for a daily) then buy two or three 105Ds and grin! - once engine mounts are sorted to isolate the TUD.

Unless you're well-versed in engine alternatives and fitting, I reckon your time and money would be better spent on the original, they're not such bad lumps at all, when right.

But I wouldn't bother, I have the 948 version in my Standard and its a lovely little engine

I have a 948s, NEVER driven it, never had it running in fact! My plan is to build up this as a bare bones runner, it's a shame really as it has a few of the nice features, fibre dash, white dials -  but that's where it ends. No interior at all. I've said for years I'll get it back on the road and do the 10 countries run in it. 

Regarding the diesel idea  -  it's just that an idea, something that would be reversible, and a learning journey.  

A 1.6 MX5 engine in a Herald does not loose any character of the car other than slowth.  It has a little more power but less torque than a 2 litre 6 pot Triumph engine while being a heck of a lot lighter so the later Herald or Spitfire disc brakes are just fine, as should be diff and the steering will feel the same - that is all assuming you don't drive like a twunt everywhere.  The overall gearing of the Triumph drivetrain and wheels is very similar to the overall gearing of an MX5 (depending on which Triumph diff you have - we have a 3.89).

A bigger engine with more torque will start breaking things.

(Over 30,000 miles experience since the conversion)

Not wishing to urinate on anybody's bonfire, but the business of "future-proofing" a 50s/60s car with a more modern engine might just bite us on the arse in that there Future if some bonkers legislation ever comes in regarding use and taxation status of modified classics.   

On a practical level a couple of friends have mine have done this - one with a Zetec 100E the other with an MX5 Minx - and both opened a complete can of worms with regard to trying to improve every other area of the car to maximise their conversions.   The 100E just ended up un-driveable and was sold on and the Minx got some fairly involved tin-bashing for it all to fit and frankly would have benefited far more from the money being spent on structural repairs.  

I am not against upgrades in themselves but its easy to create a monster......

Not wishing to urinate on anybody's bonfire, but the business of "future-proofing" a 50s/60s car with a more modern engine might just bite us on the arse in that there Future if some bonkers legislation ever comes in regarding use and taxation status of modified classics.

On a practical level a couple of friends have mine have done this - one with a Zetec 100E the other with an MX5 Minx - and both opened a complete can of worms with regard to trying to improve every other area of the car to maximise their conversions. The 100E just ended up un-driveable and was sold on and the Minx got some fairly involved tin-bashing for it all to fit and frankly would have benefited far more from the money being spent on structural repairs.

I am not against upgrades in themselves but its easy to create a monster......

This is why you make it a nuts and bolts conversion as far as possible like I'm doing with my capri, it's being done so if i need or want to I can just bolt a pinto back in easily, it would be easier for me to go down the chassis mount road etc

Yes, I agree /\  

If a conversion is done for 'futute proofing' (and assuming legislation doesn't get in the way), the MX5 makes a good candidate too because it has such a big following.  How many Minors received Fiat twin cams back in the 80s/90s because they fitted and were relatively cheap at the time but are now much harder to get parts for.  That's one reason I didn't use a Nissan lump.