£100 Renault Fuego turbo arrives

doubleyeller

DO NOT LOSE the contact details of the lake lads that collecterised this! They're obviously diamond geezers.

Enabling you Sir, to be a winnah! Looking forward to hearing more about this car.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Oh, couldn't agree more, £250 for all that aggro and 300 miles drive once loaded - and that's before the bitch of a job we had getting it in the lockup with seized rear wheels! I've got plenty of cards the guy gave me if anyone has a job for them, they're certainly recommended!

Oh, couldn't agree more, £250 for all that aggro and 300 miles drive once loaded - and that's before the bitch of a job we had getting it in the lockup with seized rear wheels! I've got plenty of cards the guy gave me if anyone has a job for them, they're certainly recommended!

That is ridiculously good value, they must just enjoy their job.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, since nobody else sees it fit to update this thread, I'll take the liberty to go ahead.

Yesterday a delegation from the GGG and the Northern Powerhouse, comprising Cleon Fonte, Mr Conelrad and my humble self invaded

Doubleyeller's turf to have a poke around and do some deriding and tauntage.

Actually, the goal was to get it running, but it's sadly a bit further away from that than anticipated.

In order to get it out of the garage, the rear wheels had to be unseized, which I did by removing the rear calipers, which were well and truly

stuck on.

Once outside, we did a few attempts, but it won't even as much as turn the starter, in fact, it does nothing at all.

The oil light comes on when you switch on the ignition, also the oil level meter seems to work, but no other control lights come on.

However, most of the electric gadgets and the head and taillights work, also the indicators and wipers.

I was able to measure electrickery arriving at the ignition coil once the ignition is switched on, so this works.

But when trying to actually start it, nothing arrives at the starter solenoid.

I assume the entire starting circuit, which appears to be switched on by a series of relays, is dead. The Haynes did not mention where these

relays are located, so we depend on froum help with this. Also, the fuel pump doesn't come on.

The carburetter is IMO well and truly fucked, even the butterflies are seized. So I recommended to not even bother with it but try to get

a good used one.

Apart from this, the car is remarkably solid, which I have to say I expected. Fuegos aren't overly prone to rust.

The rear portions of the sills need a bit of non oxidised tinplate letting in, there is a hole in the nearside front wing, the offside rear wheelarch

has seen better days and the driver's door is a bit fucked, but otherwise the car is fairly solid. Floors and longerons appear to be good,

the boot floor is like new and the always critical front girders where the driveshafts go through all seem to be healthy.

So altogether it does need very little welding, the brakes overhauled, a new exhaust, new tyres, a carburetter and the electrics sorted.

The engine isn't seized and it engages most of its gears, the clutch appears to be not stuck on.

And to illustrate the above:

post-20075-0-91842000-1506255691_thumb.jpg

The Fuego as found. It was clear at this point it wasn't moving anywhere.

post-20075-0-58201500-1506255711_thumb.jpg

So work began on freeing off the rear brakes.

post-20075-0-29029100-1506255736_thumb.jpg

Then the Fuego entered the light.

post-20075-0-09392500-1506255760_thumb.jpg

One Renault A-type engine, which surprisingly still spins freely.

post-20075-0-57459100-1506255784_thumb.jpg

To start the car we'd need power, so naturally we called upon a car with a completely fucked alternator to help. No dice unfortunately.

post-20075-0-41574000-1506255823_thumb.jpg

Now you see the carburettor...

post-20075-0-37534000-1506255859_thumb.jpg

...and now you don't.

post-20075-0-71462200-1506255901_thumb.jpg

Other Renaults were also attended to.

post-20075-0-70950200-1506255935_thumb.jpg

And then the Fuego was returned to its slumber, until next time.

That carb may free up if put in a pan of anti freeze and left to heat up/boil. This is a common way to get Model Aircraft (glow engines) freed up from castor oil (because fuel has it in - even 4stroke model engines) if they've been left around too long. Do it outside and away from food though as the fumes are particularly noxious.

I do it on one of those cheapy gas camping stove that has disposable cartridges and an old pan.

Alternatively in an oven or gas BBQ for a bit may help too. However that'll likely bugger up any rubber seals.

Both of my old Fuego turbos lunched their starter motors. It's too close to the exhaust and gently cooks. Symptoms on mine were an increasing reluctance to spin up when hot, fine when cold, deteriorating until unreliable/ unusable.

Sticky carbs has been ' a thing' too, from memory. Fun old things though

The carb's in a state where, if you scraped it with a wire brush for 10 minutes, you'd be left with nothing but a pile of aluminium dust. I'd hate to think what heat and stuff would do to it.

Thermite be some excitement.

Do you see what I did there?