MG TF 2002

SherpaMog

Is anyone interested in my friends MG? Its been a second car to him for nearly three years, purchased from his brother, so they know it well. It has been garaged in this time.

It has nearly 12 months mot, couple of advisories for minor corrosion on sills in the last couple of years, but garaged and got no worse, and is minor.

Recently it has had ( with receipts),

O/S wheel bearing.

O/S track rod end.

New alternator.

New battery.

Front discs and pads.

N/S rear brake caliper.

Front pipe on exhaust.

It looks a cracking little car, well looked after. Price on here is 950, but it is a good one, he won't take less, obviously up for more on eBay etc.

I'm on mobile phone so I can email pics over but will put them on later on tablet if any interest.

post-20502-0-07771500-1505063785_thumb.jpg

post-20502-0-80182100-1505063825_thumb.jpg

post-20502-0-09127000-1505063852_thumb.jpg

Might have to put it on the owners club and hope someone wants that exact colour and trim combo. If you just want "an MGF" there's hundreds of them and whilst this is nice, it's also a few hundred more expensive than a generic Tahiti Blue, Black Trim job

These are gonna suddenly shoot up in price, you mark my words. Just not this month.

That looks exceptionally nice. I didn't realise how cheap these have got too. I have always thought the TF looked much better than the equivalent year MX5.

I can only imagine it's the wrong time of year.

What engine does it have and where in the country are you?

In nantwich in Cheshire, the rust is minor, its garaged. Will find out what engine later.

Any inspection welcome, he's a nice old fella, just doesn't want to run two cars anymore.

I'm going to see if I can find the mg forum later and put it on that.

I don't think its salty to be honest, but others can if they wish, I'm a mingebag at some cars.

In nantwich in Cheshire, the rust is minor, its garaged. Will find out what engine later.

Any inspection welcome, he's a nice old fella, just doesn't want to run two cars anymore.

I'm going to see if I can find the mg forum later and put it on that.

I don't think its salty to be honest, but others can if they wish, I'm a mingebag at some cars.

I don't reckon the price is too far out at £950. X-Power (sic) is the best colour on the later cars I reckon and they really are a lovely steer and the more powerful variants are very quick. Mid-engined, RWD, twin tailpipes and a drop top. That's as close as you'll ever get to a £1k supercar innit. 

Talking about it is making me want one so I am going to go now.

I sort of thought that if you buy any car with a K-series you just expect HGF at some point. Therefore you either budget for it, or just plan to scrap the car if/when it happens.

I might put my Megane Coupe up for sale to fund the purchase of this... Hmmm...

I sort of thought that if you buy any car with a K-series you just expect HGF at some point. Therefore you either budget for it, or just plan to scrap the car if/when it happens.

I might put my Megane Coupe up for sale to fund the purchase of this... Hmmm...

Come have a look at it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. There's a couple of scratch/scrapes but it is a good honest car.

Sigh. Why do folks seem to think this is a service item...

I thought it was a given that they go at some point on the old K-series in the MGF? That's certainly the impression I got from the MGF experts at work, its so common they know a man that comes out to you and does it a morning for around £200.

Please enlighten me....

I thought it was a given that they go at some point on the old K-series in the MGF? That's certainly the impression I got from the MGF experts at work, its so common they know a man that comes out to you and does it a morning for around £200.

Please enlighten me....

There are lots of K series "experts" out there.. 97.8% of all K series head gaskets that have "gone" are either owner neglect causing overheating- be it a leak or airlock or thermostat or whatever, or it's the inlet manifold gasket,giving failed head gasket symptoms....which is cured by fitting a head gasket set which includes the inlet gaskets,which fixes the problem for around 200 quid rather than 3 quid..or if left too long it causes HGF- SEE ABOVE.

All IMO- but worked on hundreds of them and owned well into double figures of various K series engined Rovers, and I've never had HGF on any of them like PBK. AND also IMO, the "uprated" gasket is wank.

Well....

I worked at a midlands MG dealer for a total of 5 months - mostly failed at around 2 years 25k ish. In that time we did so many it almost became a service item.

Most of them were gasket (head) failures of some description. undoubtedly some inlet failure of course - but a 'run' from the factory seemed logical.

There are lots of K series "experts" out there.. 97.8% of all K series head gaskets that have "gone" are either owner neglect causing overheating- be it a leak or airlock or thermostat or whatever, or it's the inlet manifold gasket,giving failed head gasket symptoms....which is cured by fitting a head gasket set which includes the inlet gaskets,which fixes the problem for around 200 quid rather than 3 quid..or if left too long it causes HGF- SEE ABOVE.

All IMO- but worked on hundreds of them and owned well into double figures of various K series engined Rovers, and I've never had HGF on any of them like PBK. AND also IMO, the "uprated" gasket is wank.

Interesting, its the first time ive heard anyone suggest the headgasket is just as likely to go on a K-series as any other engine.

Well....

I worked at a midlands MG dealer for a total of 5 months - mostly failed at around 2 years 25k ish. In that time we did so many it almost became a service item.

Most of them were gasket (head) failures of some description. undoubtedly some inlet failure of course - but a 'run' from the factory seemed logical.

Interestingly, I've heard this also of the TF and those horrible facelift 25's. You could have a point about a "batch" from the factory but my experience with earlier K's didn't tally with this- it should be the other way round and they got better as time moved on but with all the BMW/Phoenix shenannigans there could be something in it I suppose.. Interesting!